Project: Equal Access-Nigeria TV Project
Job Title: Deputy Director General
Location: Northern Nigeria
Travel Requirements: Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Kaduna, and field-based activities in Northern Nigeria
REPORTING RELATIONSHIPS AND COORDINATION:
Reports to: Director General, Equal Access-Nigeria AREWA24
Technical Oversight:AREWA24 President; EA HQ Senior Program Manager
Equal Access (EA) is an international not for profit organization (501c3), headquartered in San Francisco and working throughout Asia, Africa and the Middle East. A communications for social change organization that combines the power of media with community mobilization, Equal Access creates customized communications strategies and outreach solutions that foster peace building and social cohesion, women & girls’ empowerment, youth life skills & livelihoods, human rights, health, as well as civic participation and good governance in the developing world. EA has launched a satellite TV project focused on Hausa speakers in northern Nigeria and seeks a Deputy Director General to help manage the growth of its Nigeria program.
The Deputy Director General will be responsible for supporting the Director General to oversee and manage television production, company and community outreach and the development of select partnerships for EA-Nigeria and the AREWA24 channel. S/he will ensure that AREWA24 is delivering quality content to audiences across Northern Nigeria and the Hausa-speaking sub-region. S/he will liaise with potential business partners and sponsors to drive EA’s commercialization strategy for AREWA24.
- Help develop and implement a strategy for research and analysis related to the AREWA24 channel and its target audiences; advise the DG about program slots targeting the desired audience, as well as audience reactions to the broadcast programs.
- Work with the DG and Head of Production to ensure that all production deliverables are submitted on-time in a suitable format and in-line with EA’s strict quality standards.
- Provide technical assistance to staff to build their capacity in producing, editing, and finalizing high-quality television content.
- Analyze the commercial market in Nigeria and work with the DG and AREWA24 President to adapt the channel’s commercialization strategy.
- Work with the AREWA24 President to identify, develop and manage new commission-based revenue streams from corporate sponsorships, advertising, and other relevant models to ensure AREWA24’s commercial sustainability.
- Explore the feasibility of innovative revenue-generation ideas, such as product placement, sponsorship, merchandising under AREWA24 license and advertiser-funded programming.
- Liaise with the Nigerian public authorities about possible sources of income relating to the broadcasting of public service announcements or related to other relevant approaches.
- Work to engage with bi- and multi-lateral donors (UN, USG, and others) and like-minded corporations to develop programming for the channel.
- Explore the feasibility of developing potential equity partnerships with like-minded corporations and entities to further the channel’s growth and sustainability
- Represent EAN and AREWA24 in the DG’s absence.
Advanced degree in mass communication, media production, and/or business/marketing
- Minimum 10 years' experience in TV production and broadcast/cable; at least 6 years in a supervisory role
- A thorough knowledge of production processes, TV business models (cable/satellite TV a plus), audience research, and other areas vital to the commercial success of any TV channel
- Experience in coordinating with external suppliers, producers, sponsors, and advertising sales houses
- Able to work under extreme pressure and deadlines
Language and Computer Skills:
- Excellent spoken and written English, knowledge of Hausa a plus
- Computer skills: Final Cut Pro, Pro Tools, and experience with other editing software packages; MS Word and Excel
- Able to undertake travel to the project locations as required
Method of Application
To apply, please send your application including a cover letter, updated CV, and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than September 15, 2014. Please note that we may consider applications and begin the interview process prior to the closing date.