The Millennium Global Village-Net (MGV-Net)
The MGV-Net is an Open Source information and communication system and eHealth infrastructure initially designed to support MVP. Components of MGV-Net include the mobile-phone based platform, ChildCount+ (CC+). The MGV-Net system and its components serve as important tools that help organize, assess and monitor the communities’ progress towards the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) but also provide a bridge of communication between the community members and health workers. Such communication reduces delays in accessing health care and also improves efficiencies within health systems at a low cost. Technology has been integrated into the package of health interventions to support the leverage of health outcomes in each of the villages.
Support for the Millennium Global Village-Network and its Components: Implementation and Maintenance of OpenMRS Electronic Medical Record and ChildCount+, Development and Support in Nigeria
Purpose of the Position
The role of the eHealth Manager will be to enhance the achievement of the MDGs related to health through implementation and support for eHealth infrastructure that integrates facility-based and community health worker information systems. The eHealth Manager will be responsible for developing, implementing and supporting software-based solutions for use in the MVP site of Pampaida in the state of Kaduna.
The eHealth Manager is expected to work with the different sector teams, especially the health sector teams, where solutions will be targeted.
The eHealth Manager will also work closely with members of the health informaticsand community health worker (CHW) teams.
- Product/Solution Innovation and Development: Work with the project team and partners, to develop, package and document innovative ICT solutions and packages for rollout in the sites. Follow best of class programming practices including detailed documentation of the solutions code and functionality.
- Knowledge transfer and training. Provide training to ensure that the communities where solutions are installed are able to participate in basic maintenance and trouble shooting activities. Developing and providing training on maintenance programs to build local capacity is a critical aspect of this job.
- Technical Support. High level, high availability technical support for the MVP project team and project's ICT systems and infrastructure.
- Project Management. Working with minimal supervision, develop and follow project implementation plans.
- Project Coordination. Work with the MVP Health Team, based in New York, the sites’ Infrastructure Coordinators, country teams and other local consultants to coordinate the design and implementation of ICT projects.
- Monitoring and Evaluation Support. Assist in the design and implementation of the project's ICT related monitoring and evaluation initiatives.
- National Integration.Ensure proper alignment with the government eHealth policy, existing government-supported eHealth programs and health information systems. Ensure that the appropriate reporting requirements are met.
- Mobile Services Support. Monitor, anticipate, and resolve SMS and/or voice service issues directly with the providers as necessary.
- Sectoral Integration. Work with the health, education, agriculture, gender and SME sectors to identify ways ICT technology (mobile phones, computers and radio) can be integrated to improve the efficiency and capacity of these sector activities.
- Project Champion.Be passionate about the role ICT technologies can play in improving people's lives. Be integral in designing and taking ownership for the ICT strategy for the project.
- Reporting.Report directly to Dr Clement Woje[MVP Health Coordinator, Pampaida Village]. Will also work closely with Dr Andrew S. Kanter [Director of Health Information Systems/Medical Informatics], Dr Patricia Mechael [Director of Strategic Application of Mobile Technology for Public Health and Development], Matt Berg [ICT Director], Dr Rob Borland [Field Coordinator], and YomboTankoano [Regional CHW Program Coordinator].
- Implementation of the MGV-Net system and its components in both Pampaida and Ikaram. This includes:
- Working with Airtel/Bharti on the server setup and maintenance
- Localization of the MGV-Net system and its components to Nigeria
- Training of the CHWs on the use of the system.
- Training of the data clerks on the data entry of the CC+ forms and providing recommendation back to the CC+ Dev team for improvements.
- Providing support to HSAs and local team on the MGV-Net system and its components
- Active development and testing of the MGV-Net system and its components
- Creation of custom ChildCount+ modules in coordination with the local health team upon request
- Support of other ICT activities in the site as requested. This includes:
- Assistance in setting up of computers labs in schools and community centers.
- Providing computer training for trainer of trainers.
- Reviewing and modifying as necessary the site’s ICT Strategy.
- Bi-monthly reports for each eHealth activity in both clusters
- Programming and implementation documentation
- Advanced technical degree in engineering, computer science or related field
- Minimum one-year professional programming experience
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement web-based software solutions with minimum supervision
- Demonstrated experience developing web applications in Python or PHP required
- Experience with web frameworks like Django highly preferred
- Excellent computer administration skills in both Linux and Windows
- Demonstrated working experience with Ubuntu highly preferred
- Strong computer configuration & technical maintenance skills required
- Prior Experience working with SMS applications like RapidSMS or Kannel highly preferred
- Experience with Java preferable
- Ability to do basic network wiring and setup preferred.
- Proponent of open source solutions
- Very comfortable with using Linux
- Excellent writing, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Must have excellent organizational skills, be self-motivated, be a team player and detail-oriented
Terms of Offer
This is a Nationally Recruited position with a competitive salary. The employment contract is for a period of one year with the possibility of renewal.
The e-Health Manager will be based at the Pampaida MVP site, Kaduna. The position will require frequent travel throughout West and Central Africa and occasional travel elsewhere.
Applicants should submit their applications including a cover letter and updated CV by electronic mail firstname.lastname@example.org a copy email@example.com "Application for eHealth Manager" in the subject line. Applications will be considered until 24th August, 2011 or until the position is filled.
Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.