Consultant Policy Specialist at the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
Posted on: 7 August, 2017
Deadline: 14 August, 2017
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at UNDP
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
Position Level: International
Starting Date: 21st August, 2017
Contract Duration: Initial contrat duration 4 Months
- UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
- Nigeria’s central role in ECOWAS, its large population and strong economy is a strategic player in West Africa and in sub-Saharan Africa more generally. However, Nigeria faces several security challenges including low-intensity conflicts over resource wealth, crimes and kidnappings and in recent years, the onset of the Boko Haram insurgency in the North East.
- The Boko Haram insurgency which began in 2009 has claimed over twenty thousand lives, displaced over two million people and destroyed thousands of properties. Women have been the first victims of the displacement and human rights abuses triggered by the conflict. Over 2000 women have been kidnapped since the start of the insurgency; a notable example being the adoption of 276 Chibok girls in 2014. Women have also been involved in Boko Haram activities, for example as suicide bombers, with about 100 cases of suicide bombing so far perpetrated by women and girls.
UN Women's Work:
- UN Women’s program, Promoting Women’s Engagement in Peace and Security in Northern Nigeria (2014-2018), was designed to support the Nigerian government (federal level), three northern states (Adamawa, Plateau and Gombe) and selected constituent local government areas (LGAs) to strengthen women’s leadership, advance gender equality and improve protection for women and children in conflict settings.
- By ensuring the implementation of the UN Security Council Resolution 1325 (UNSCR 1325). UN Women has also worked closely with the Nigerian Government and the Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development to update the National Action Plan for the implementation of the UNSCR 1325 and other resolutions that was elaborated in 2017.
- UN Women is currently in the process of increasing its support to the Boko-Haram affected zones and more particularly Borno State, which has been the center of the Boko Haram insurgency. The Country Office is also looking at strengthening women’s participation in peacebuilding in all the different conflicts affected areas in Nigeria.
- Under the strategic guidance of UN Women’s Country Representative, with day-to-day reporting to the Deputy Representative, the Policy Specialist will elaborate a programme proposal addressed to humanitarian support to women and girls in North East Nigeria, and will further support the design of a programme strategy on women’s participation in peace and security with a national focus.
- Additionally, the Policy Specialist will support the design of a strategy for UN Women’s cooperation with ECOWAS on issues of peace and security, and develop relevant knowledge products. The consultant will also review and support opportunities for expanding the UN’s programmes on preventing and addressing gender-based violence in conflict and non-conflict-affected regions of Nigeria.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Undertake a desk review and mapping of key ongoing initiatives on women, peace and security and humanitarian support in Nigeria
- Analyze and assess gender gaps and opportunities in ongoing peace and security initiatives at the national level
- Undertake consultations with partners institutions and agencies
- Conduct field visits and a thorough analysis and research of the conflict situation in the country, particularly in the North-East region
- Elaborate project proposals to expand UN Women’s interventions to support gender-responsive humanitarian action, and coordinate consultations and the process of revision and finalization of the draft documents
- Provide technical support to programs on women, peace and security
- Elaborate a draft strategy for UN Women’s cooperation with the ECOWAS Commission on Peace and Security issues
- Undertake a mapping of key partners and donors relating to humanitarian action and women, peace and security; participate in the elaboration of a resource mobilization strategy for UN Women’s work under this thematic area of focus
- Undertake research and consultations to collate good practices on strategies for prevention and response to gender-based violence, with potential for replicability and adaptability.
- Research and analyze information on donors; prepare substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation
- Full-fledged proposals on humanitarian, peace and security interventions, and more particularly on Humanitarian Response in Borno State, with an accompanying detailed budget
- A mapping of key initiatives and partners engaged in supporting women peace and security in Nigeria
- A Strategy for UN Women Cooperation with the ECOWAS Commission on women’s empowerment and women’s participation in peace and security processes
- A summary document outlining good practices on strategies and approaches to preventing and responding to gender-based violence in Nigeria.
- A partnership framework, outlining potential funding partners for implementation of the programmes developed
Key Performance Indicators:
- Timely and quality technical advice and support
- Leadership in area of expertise in the region
- Quality reports and other strategic documents drafted and submitted in a timely manner
- Strong relationships with various partners and stakeholders
- Contributions to resource mobilization
- Timely and quality knowledge products
- Master's Degree or equivalent in Peace and Security, Human Rights, International Relations or other Social Science fields is required.
- At least 5 years progressively responsible experience in designing programmes linked to women’s participation in peace and security processes ideally with some experience in Africa
- Experience in programme, policy analysis, and strategic planning;
- Experience working with, and building partnerships with governments, donors and civil society organizations internationally and in the field;
- Experience working with the UN is an asset;
- Experience working in Nigeria is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of any other UN official working language is an asset.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Excellent knowledge of Peace and Security issues, including in Nigeria
- Excellent networking skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Ability to interact with donors, identify and analyze trends, opportunities and threats to fundraising
- Ability to perform qualitative and quantitative policy research
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Strong knowledge of programme development, implementation, results based management and reporting.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNDP career website on jobs.undp.org to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about UNDPSimilar Jobs
- Graduate Finance Assistant at Médecins du Monde
- Protection Team Leader at Oxfam Nigeria
- Consultant - Translation and Recording of CDGP Key Health Education Messages at Save the Children Nigeria
- Job Openings at FHI 360
- World Health Organization (WHO) Latest Recruitment
- Latest Vacancies at LEAP Africa
- Job Opportunities at Secours Islamique France
- Internal Auditor at the Management Sciences for Health (MSH)