Latest Job Vacancies at The African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)
Posted on: 16 June, 2017
Deadline: 28 June, 2017
View Jobs in NGO / Non-Profit Associations
View All Jobs at African Field Epidemiology Networ
Africa Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) is the umbrella organization for applied epidemiology training, programs in Africa. It oversees the Field Epidemiology (and Laboratory) Training Programs (FETP) in 16 countries of Africa. It has been vested with the responsibility of implementing Lagos AIDS Indicator Survey (LAGAIS) in the State. In view of this, AFENET is recruiting men and women with field work experience to gather the Lagos data across the 20 Local Government Areas of Lagos State.
Duration of contract: One year
Work Hours: Full time
- The responsibilities of the surveillance epidemiologist/coordinator is to provide technical support in strengthening surveillance for acute flaccid paralysis (AFP), vaccine preventable diseases and other Integrated Disease Surveillance and Response (IDSR) priority diseases in Nigeria.
- Under the supervision of NSTOP National Coordinator, the prospective candidate will be responsible for the coordination of all surveillance activities within NSTOP. He or she will perform the following duties:
- Review, interpret and provide feedback on weekly polio surveillance data and the weekly epidemiology report. Monitor AFP and IDSR surveillance indicators, and identify gaps and issues with surveillance performance.
- Establish appropriate network with the Government and other partners involved in surveillance, and provide relevant support in data management, trainings, assessments, reviews and other Government-led surveillance activities in the country.
- Provide appropriate guidance on enhancement of Surveillance in IDP camps and other surveillance priority areas in the Northeast States especially Borno and Yobe states
- Provide technical oversight and feedback to NSTOP Field coordinators (FCs) and NSTOP LGA officers (NSLOs) on surveillance performance in their States and LGAs respectively, and provide guidance on approaches to improve surveillance.
- Work closely through NSLOs with LGA and state officials involved in surveillance with a focus on AFP.
- Provide necessary technical and managerial expertise to improve the implementation of NSTOP enhanced surveillance project
- Provide technical expertise in the development of AFP surveillance training materials in collaboration with training unit, and coordinate surveillance trainings at different levels to improve capacity for surveillance at these levels.
- Provide technical advice based on data to guide implementation of evidence-based strategies to improve surveillance performance at all levels.
- Provide support and technical guidance to the surveillance working group at the national polio EOC, NCDC surveillance review meetings, Expert Review Committee (ERC) meetings on polio eradication and RI among others.
- Document all NSTOP surveillance activities weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually.
- Guide and support AFP field reviews and AFP surveillance projects conducted by FELTP residents.
- Perform other duties as may be assigned by supervisor
Certifications, License, Physical Requirements or Other Expertise Required
- Master's Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Veterinary Epidemiology or related field.
- First Degree in Medicine, Veterinary Medicine or related field
- Post-graduate training through a field epidemiology training program or the Epidemic intelligence Service (EIS) is an added advantage
- The incumbent must have at least 3 years of field experience in acute flaccid paralysis (AFP) surveillance and surveillance for other vaccine preventable diseases
- Language proficiency in English.
- A good understanding of AFP surveillance system and immunization is a requirement
- Strong technical knowledge in public health, epidemiology, surveillance, disease outbreak investigation, data management including analysis and interpretation of AFP surveillance data.
- Skills in Microsoft Office, Epi Info, SPSS and Stata
- Ability to communicate clearly in English language orally and in writing
- Ability to engage in successful interaction; extensive contact with members of government agencies and partners at national, state and local government levels.
go to method of application »
Duration of contract: One year
Work Hours: Full time
The responsibilities of the DHIS2 Implementation Officer include;
- Support the implementation of the Routine Immunization NHMIS scale up plan in the states
- Provide technical leadership to the State RI team on the use of the DHIS2 RI dashboard for data driven decision making
- Provide mentoring, support and supervision to LGA RI teams on data collection, data entry and appropriate use of RI reporting tools
- Develop Monthly technical report following all supportive supervision activities conducted
- Train State and LGA RI teams on data management
- Build capacity of state and LGA government officers to enter data, analyze and provide regular reports using DHIS2.
- Work with SIO’s, M&E officers, HMIS officers and others as indicated to analyze collected data and provide feedback to State and Local government RI teams
- Liaise with NSTOP Data Management Team to provide regular feedback and troubleshoot problems
- University Degree or equivalent in Data Management, Public Health, Epidemiology or other health related disciplines
- Possess at least 3 years experience in data management or monitoring and evaluation
- Experience working with District Health Information System 2 (DHIS2) database
- Experience in managing routine immunization data at LGA or state level.
- Proficiency in use of Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, Epi info and SPSS
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
- Candidates should indicate the appropriate position in their application letter. AFENET is an equal opportunity employer.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET)Similar Jobs
- Finance Assistant at Medecins Sans Frontieres
- Seefar Nigeria Fresh Job Recruitment
- Consultants at Première Urgence International (PUI)
- Job Opportunities at Action Against Hunger
- TA Programme Budget Officer at the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- Implant Removal Landscape Assessment Consultant at Jhpiego Nigeria
- WPE Adolescent Girl Assistant at the International Rescue Committee
- Latest Vacancies at Mercy Corps