Mercy Corps Nigeria’s humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, EU, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, non-food items (NFI), protection, livelihoods, cash transfers, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps is scaling-up and expanding its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional assistance in a wider geographic area.
Location: Abuja, with possible travels to north-east locations.
Dates of Internship: ASAP-November 2016
Lenght of Intership: 11 months
- Learn about coordination and the humanitarian sector in general, while developing research, analytical and organizational skills.
- Learn how to compile information/data and produce briefs on humanitarian and development issues, Members’ programs and other issues as required.
- Learn how to mobilize different stakeholders ( Forum Members), prepare meetings, take minutes and organize trainings and events.
- The INGO Forum was established by international non-governmental organisations to support work of member agencies in development and humanitarian response. Considering the crises in the north –east, the INGF has been primarily focus on humanitarian coordination.
- The intern will work with INGO Forum in Oxfam offices until January 2016, when he/she will move to Mercy Corps office as Mercy Corps assumes hosting role next year.
- The INGO Forum Support Intern will be a motivated learner and a passionate activist for the improvement of the development/humanitarian situation in Nigeria and for the role of civil society in this context.
- Support INGO Forum Coordinator, INGO Forum Support Manager and INGO Forum Field Manager in communications, information management and coordination, as needed
- Ensure drafting and update of INGO Forum documents and correspondence.
- Maintain INGO Forum Calendar of key dates, events, contact list and other documents
- Support the INGO Forum in the drafting of external products e.g. newsletters and policy documents
- Conduct research and information gathering on the humanitarian situation to support the Forum’s objectives
- (Bi-) Weekly context update - compilation of links to relevant media, reports, assessments, etc from identified key sources.
Ideal candidates should possess the following qualification:
- Advanced university Degree in Law, Political Science, International Relations, Journalism, Social Sciences, International Development or related technical field (minimum Bachelor’s degree).
- Written and spoken fluency in English.
- Willingness to learn and interest in humanitarian practice.
- Commitment to international humanitarian standards and principles.
- Excellent writing, editing and analytical skills and ability to formulate well-targeted documents.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Flexibility in terms of office hours.
- Experience in an NGO (local or international), in a newspaper or research institution.
- Speak Hausa
- A fast-paced and often demanding environment.
- Mercy Corps interns and volunteers represent the agency both during and outside of work hours and are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and Mercy Corps’ policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their Cover Letter and CV in one document, addressing the position requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
- We are an equal opportunity organization and we strongly encourage women to apply for this position.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.