United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) helps developing countries attract and use aid effectively. In all our activities, we encourage the protection of human rights, capacity development and the empowerment of women.
Job ID: 5524
Under the overall guidance and supervision of the Chief Security Adviser (CSA), or the Field Security Coordination Officer (FSCO), the Local Security Assistant assists in the implementation of security operations and all matters relating to the management of safety and security for UN personnel in the country or in the region of assignment.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Assists CSA/FSCO in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country;
- Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists;
- Supports the CSA/FSCO with the assessment of Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) for the duty station;
- Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets;
- Organizes and delivers training courses on security awareness and preparedness;
- Assists in ensuring residential (Minimum Operating Residential Security Standards - MORSS)and office safety, and security preparedness;
- Provides general administrative assistance to the CSA/FSCO
- Assists the CSA/FSCO in collecting, updating and communicating information regarding the security situation in the country:
- Liaises and coordinates, as appropriate, with the host government security organizations and/or personnel, including national and local provincial authorities, military, and police officers, as well as non-governmental organizations and other non-State actors in the area of operation;
- Helps to assess the security situation at the duty station and ensures adequate gathering and verification of security information that may be required for a proper analysis of the situation by the CSA/FSCO;
- Communicates information on security to the heads of United Nations agencies and provides host country security advice to UNDSS in the absence of the SA, as required;
- Maintains regular contacts with Security Focal Points of UN agencies;
- May be requested to provide technical assistance at SMT meetings, in the absence of the CSA/SCO.
- Assists in maintaining the Security Plan, including updating staff lists:
- Helps in the preparation and review of the UN Security Plan;
- Supports actions during the implementation of the Security Plan, as required.
- Assists the CSA/SCO in monitoring compliance with Minimum Operational Security Standards (MOSS) established for the duty station. Also assists with the compilation of data required for the MOSS Self-Assessment Programme.
- Assists in reporting security incidents affecting UN staff, offices and assets, and assists in the preparation of security reports, such as the Security Incident Report, the Security Assessments and the Quarterly Incident Report.
- Provides support in organizing and conducting training courses on security awareness and preparedness, and providing security orientation to newly assigned staff members. Conducts security briefings, as required.
- Provides general administrative assistance to the CSA/FSCO:
- Maintains routine and confidential correspondence files/documents;
- Maintains a database on contact details in relation to host country security authorities;
- Arranges appointments, receives visitors, places and screens telephone calls and answers queries with discretion, and takes minutes and/or notes at meetings.
- Performs other security-related tasks assigned by the CSA/FSCO:
- Conducts security evaluations and provides advice on security measures for the residences (Minimum Operating Residential Security Standards - MORSS) of UN staff, as well as on latest trends and threats to staff safety and security;
- Establishes and maintains warden system and keeps update of information related to UN offices and residences;
- Administers a pass and ID system;
- Maintains liaison with commercial companies used for UN security at offices and residences, in order to ensure the effective and efficient use of the guard force.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the accurate and timely implementation of the overall UN security programme at the country level.
- Commitment to the ideals of the United Nations Charter and the Organization’s core values – Professionalism, Integrity and Respect for Diversity
- Planning and Organizing: Demonstrated ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor his/her own work plan with minimum supervision. Ability to work under pressure or in crisis situations. Availability to travel within the area of responsibility.
- Creativity: Ability to actively seek to improve services, offer new and different options to solve problems/meet client needs, and promote and persuade others to consider new ideas
- Teamwork: Proven interpersonal skills and the ability to listen and work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Communication: Proven and sustained communication (verbal and written) skills.
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary education. University Degree desirable, but it is not a requirement.
6 years’ experience in security, preferably in the military or police context or related field of work. Prior experience with the UN system or an international NGO is desirable.
Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
Other Skills and Requirements:
- Knowledge of HF and VHF radio operation;
- Experience in diplomatic security, protection and intelligence considered an asset;
- Knowledge of host country safety codes;
- Solid computers skills (MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint);
- Possession of a valid driver’s license
- Ability to travel
- Physically fit
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to UNDP career website on jobs.partneragencies.net to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.