Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to provide high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Summary Scope of Work
- The Finance Manager will be reporting to the Senior Finance Manager.
- S/he will assist in providing the financial management for the MCSP and other Jhpiego projects in Nigeria.
- Support the management ofall financial and contractual aspects ofJhpiego projects and work closely with project staff to ensure accurate financial and contractual reporting of the project.
- Ensure that the financial reports are compatible with standard accounting practices and follow Jhpiego and USAID rules and regulations.
- The successful candidate will liaise with the Senior Finance Manager in ensuring cost consciousness, efficient spending and for implementing and maintaining an on-site financial accounting and bookkeeping system required to assure the integrity and effective performance ofproject financial operations.
- Examines financial documents such as payroll, vouchers, invoices, delivery notes, purchase orders and other documents to ensure the completeness, accuracy, and validity of financial data before making payments.
- Monitors disbursement of funds from the project bank account(s) to ensure compliance with Jhpiego’s financial policies and procedures as outlined in the Thpiego Finance and Accounting policies manual for country offices, Banking Policy, QuickBooks Manual, Procurement Manual, and any other policies.
- Regular review of the cash register and to carry out surprise cash counts
- Reviews a sample of expense reports and other project expenses on a day-to-day basis to ensure adequate documentation, to ensure that such expenses are allowable, allocable and reasonable.
- Ensure timely reconciliation ofbalance sheet items on monthly basis.
- Reviews QuickBooks monthly financial reports, conducts bank reconciliations and reviews any other financial reports before submission to the Senior Finance Manager.
- Assists the Senior Finance Manager to prepare financial reports to donors like USAID and others as required.
- Assists program managers to develop annual operational budgets for programs; reviews these bidgets for accuracy, reasonability, completeness and donor compliance.
- Develops proposal budgets for business development for review by the Senior Finance Manager in accordance with donor requirements.
- Ensure statutory deduction records are maintained and processed on a timely basis.
- Reviews various financial monitoring tools like the purchase order log, airfare and airport transfers log, motor vehicle log, etc. on a regular basis.
- Assists the Senior Finance Manager in monitoring program expenses by ensuring timely preparation of expenditure reports, accruals and projections and burn rates on a monthly basis.
- Reviews existing internal control systems to ensure financial integrity at all times; identifies weaknesses and recommends corrective actions as per the GAAPs and Jhpiego’s financial procedures.
- Mentor and train the Finance staff in various finance functions like budgeting, payroll, QuickBooks, preparing reports, monitoring expenditure, etc. in an aim to build competencies in these areas.
- Provide guidance/feedback to the Senior Finance Manager to ensure sound functioning of the Jhpiego Nigeria office.
- Assume other duties as assigned by the Senior Finance Manager.
Required Qualifications / Skills
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, or Business Administration.
- MBA or CPA/ACCA preferred
- Minimum of Seven (7) years relevant experience in finance or accounting.
- Additional years of relevant work experience may be substituted for educational requirement
- Knowledge of USAID regulations would be an added advantage.
- Previous experience with non-profit organization will be an added advantage.
- Demonstrated budgeting and budget monitoring skills
- Expertise in Internal control systems
- Financial management and financial reporting skills
- Knowledge of Generally accepted Accounting principles, GAAP and accounting best practices.
- Audit and investigations skills
- Computers skills including use of spreadsheets and/or accounting packages.
- Developing organization policies
- Training personnel.
All staff members of Jhpiego, regardless of the level of their responsibilities are expected to:
- Model the mission and values stated above
- Participate in the business development processes
- Contribute to the knowledge sharing and transfer process
- Make responsible decisions that result in time and cost containment and clear accountability
- Participate in multiple teams, adopt team spirit, take responsibility for action items assigned and provide feedback as needed
- Multitask, be able to manage competing priorities and be able to prioritize in order to meet program and/or organizational objectives.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit an Application letter and a CV as one single word document to: email@example.com The title/subject of your email and application should be the position of what you have applied for.
- Only shortlisted candidates will receive an invitation for an interview.
- Any successful candidate will be subject to a pro-employment background investigation.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale