For over 35 years, the humanitarian aid organization SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL has been committed to providing aid in the event of conflict and natural disasters. Our mission is to provide aid as quickly and as efficiently as possible to endangered populations by meeting their vital needs: water, food and shelter.
SOLIDARITÉS INTERNATIONAL (SI) is not active in Nigeria for the moment, but has launched exploratory missions in the North-eastern state of Borno, notably in Maiduguri and in Monguno. SI plans on starting activities in North-eastern Nigeria in August in the fields of Food Security and Wash.
The Security Advisor is in charge of the context analysis and security of the team and its assets within the implementation area. Under the direct supervision of the Head of Mission based in Maiduguri, he collects and analyses information, develops security measures along with a communication strategy and leads the coordination with external stakeholders.
Main tasks :
- In coordination with the Head of Mission, develop an analysis of the security context and define a communication strategy with external stakeholders
- Collects and analyzes information by attending security meetings and following up media publications
- Develops the information collection and capitalization systems
- Leads the respect of the proper process and communication with the local authorities
- Develops a network of contacts enabling the collection and verification of diverse information
- Maintains and enriches an updated list of security contacts in the zone of intervention
- Coordinates and facilitates the operational movements and report to the Head of Mission any likely security concerns
- Defines an appropriate security strategy in accordance with identified risks in line with Head of Mission guidelines
- Updates security guide on his/her assignment base and train, raise awareness of the team about security issues
- Supports the Head of Mission in the management of security incidents and in the implementation measures to safeguard the physical wellbeing of the SI teams
- Updates the list of security incidents and provide an analysis to the Head of Mission
- Develops, updates and conducts the contextual and security briefing for new expatriates
- Works closely with the logistics department to ensure that SI building and transports are secured and that communication means are available and in working order
- Files and archives documents related to the security
Representation and Communication
- Represents Solidarités International during security coordination meetings
- Programs and conducts regular visit Solidarites International’s intervention sites so as to strengthen the representation and recognition of local authorities and stakeholders.
- Supports and reviews upon request the Communications with the local authorities and communities in order to maintain and reinforce the implementation of the programs activities and supports the teams in sensitive negotiation with local authorities and communities
- Supports the Head of Mission and the Program Coordinator in the security of Solidarités International’s intervention strategy in the zone and suggests program orientations In line with the humanitarian needs and organization positioning
- MA in Humanitarian Project Management and/or Political Science
- Expertise on humanitarian access management
- Languages: English, Haussa, Kanuri desirable
- IT skills: Good knowledge of Office software : Excel, Word, Outlook
- Professional experience: 4 years of experience in similar position (NGO/Private or Public sector)
- Representation, communication and interpersonal skills
- Anticipation, decision taking and initiative capacities
- Great work capacity and stress management
- Capacity to work in complex and volatile environments
Method of Application
Please submit your application (CV and cover letter) by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the title of the job as subject ie. "Security Advisor"
Final date for applications: 10/08/2016
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Solidarités International reserves the right to close applications earlier or later than the indicated date.