The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
Purpose of the Position
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Operations, and as the manager and functional expert of financial management services in a large country office, the incumbent is accountable for provision of managerial leadership and policy guidance for achievement of effective financial service management. Ensures management of finance staff for cost effective, quality and efficient financial operations in support of office country programme. Ensures that the office's financial operations and services are in compliance with the organization's financial policy, procedures, rules and regulations
Key Expected Results
1.) Policy, procedures and strategies:
- As technical manager, guide the correct and consistent application of policies and procedures in the management of financial functions through the provision of technical leadership, guidance and support to the country office and sub-offices where applicable.
- Provides technical input to the establishment of financial guidelines in close coordination with the Chief of Operations.
- Advises the Chief of Operations on financial policies, procedures, rules and regulations, providing financial support. Recommends on the appropriate application and interpretation of financial rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Ensures arriving and departing staff are briefed on financial procedures and requirements.
- Makes substantive recommendations on the improvement of financial systems and internal controls, taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
- Keeps the supervisor abreast of potential problem areas, and identifies and recommends solutions. Prepares reports on financial matters.
- Undertakes missions to field locations to review financial arrangements and makes appropriate recommendations as required.
2.) The budget preparation and implementation are properly administered, monitored and controlled:
- Assists in the management of the budget in close coordination with the Chief of Operations to ensure that objectives stipulated early in the fiscal year are realized for smooth operations of the Country Office/sub-offices, where applicable.
- Assists zone offices in the establishment and maintenance of financial services.
3.) Partnership, coordination and collaboration:
- Develops and maintains effective working relations with other agencies, local authorities and implementing partners relating to matters for enhancement of information exchange, collaboration, and harmonization.
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including common services, E-banking)
4.) Accounting, financial and budgetary transactions and control:
- Ensures the control and operation of bank accounts are in accordance with UN/UNICEF financial rules and regulations and local banking practices. Ensures up to date information on the cash position or status of such accounts.
- Manage bank reconciliation activities and keeps abreast of all procedures and regulations regarding the maintenance of bank accounts.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing and recording of disbursements and payments e.g. travel claims advances to government etc, in accordance with established rules, regulations, systems and within budgetary limits.
- Also, ensure recovery of advances and accounts receivable.
- Monitor financial transactions and accounting reports, and reconciliations of accounts to ensure accurate and up-to-date financial information.
- Prepare required reports and statements for Chief of Operations and HQ.
- Manage Vision finance module, provide training and orientation to staff on its use and coordinate with IT staff on technical adjustments or irregularities.
- Undertake visits to field offices to provide accounting and finance training to counterparts and support, establish and/or review systems and procedures for compliance with rules and regulations, and prepare report and recommendations.
- Develop local guidelines for implementation of Harmonised Approach to Cash Transfers (HACT) in accordance with applicable financial rules and regulations.
- Co-ordinate and lead the implementation of HACT under the supervision of the Chief of Operations;
- Participate in country programme strategy, development, planning and preview/review meetings to identify financial and requirements.
- Advise and recommend to the Chief of Operations when deviation from financial rules and regulations may be required and propose alternative solutions
- Supervise the Finance unit staff and ensures that UNICEF's Financial and existing Rules & Regulations, Policies and procedures and day to day guidelines are complied with.
- Ensures that all tasks necessary to satisfy the reporting obligations of the unit are carried out.
5.) Performs any other duties and responsibilities assigned as required:
- Provides quality services to beneficiaries in a timely and cost effective manner by performing additional duties and responsibilities assigned in conformance with the policy, standards, rules and regulations.
Key Accountabilities and Duties & Tasks
Within the delegated authority and under the given organizational set-up, the incumbent may be assigned the primarily, shared, or contributory accountabilities for all or part of the following areas of major duties and key end-results.
Effective operations of financial management:
- Manages and ensures the effective, equitable and efficient operations of the office's financial resources to support and facilitate the attainment of programmatic goals and objectives by meeting changing financial operational requirements. Ensures effective and efficient financial operations that promote gender sensitivity and gender parity. Advises management on financial issues.
Policy interpretation and application:
- Acountable for the correct and consistent application of organizational policies and procedures in the management of finance functions through the provision of technical leadership and support in the area of accounting and finance to the country office.
- Contributes to global and regional strategic planning and policy changes/formulation on operational matters as necessary relating to finance; Provides technical input to contribute to the establishment of financial guidelines in close coordination with the Chief of Operations.
- Implements the effective communication, training, roll-out, monitoring and evaluation of new initiatives, guidelines and procedures as it relates to finance, HACT, IPSAS and Vision.
Fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds and assets:
- Safeguards the financial resources entrusted to the office by advising on and/or managing financial assets, financial planning and cash management activities and by recommending improvements to the financial and administrative management systems and procedures. Accountable for fiduciary integrity/responsibility for funds taking decision on all financial transactions and disbursement of funds
- Ensures efficient, cost-effective and transparent utilization of resources through knowledge and technology transfer between offices and consistency of approaches.
Leadership in strategic planning and policy formulation in the area of financial operations:
- Plays a role in strategic financial planning and decision-making within the UNICEF Operations and provides sound professional input and oversight to the development, reform and change of financial guide-lines, systems and procedures including but not limited to the management of financial resources using remote programming approach; collaborate with implementing partners on the review and strengthening of their financial systems under the Harmonised Approach to Cash Transfers(HACT) frame-work.
- Participates in effective management process by providing technical advices and supports on financial matters to corporate committees as required.
- Development of the financial component of the CPMP. CPMP is timely completed; contributes to the preparation of budget and documentation.
- Participates in the country programme strategy, development, planning and preview/reviews meetings to identify finance related requirements.
Compliance and Internal Control:
- Monitors budget process. Ensures all other financial operational reporting requirements are fully met for the office. Monitors compliance with all operational systems and procedures and ensures integrity in all financial and other related administrative operations of the office.
- In collaboration with the Chief of Operations, assists in the implementation of agreed audit recommendations as it relates to finance; advise on corrective measures to be taken and establish relevant internal controls. Develop training activities to ensure effective financial performance and efficiency.
Staff Learning and Development
- Develops training to ensure effective financial operational performance and efficiency. Develops and implements effective staff learning and development programme activities for both programme and operations staff on finance related matters for capacity building. Plans and conducts workshops for staff's competency building, staff development in the areas of finance. Provides coaching and counselling to the staff on performance enhancement/development.
Partnership, Coordination and Collaboration:
- Collaborates to ensures adherence to financial regulations and rules pertaining to Direct Cash Transfers to Government (DCTs).
- Cooperates and coordinates with other UN agency counterparts in the UN reform initiatives (including HACT capacity building of IPs, finance initiatives, etc.).
- Advises Chief of Operations on finance matters and provides guidance on all financial submissions of the office; briefs office staff on financial policies and procedures providing authoritative advice; provides technical guidance to staff in the country and field offices on financial issues.
- Coordinates/liaises with the Chief of Operation, Regional Office or DFAM(as required) for policy formulation in the area of finance; advises on the applicability of new financial policy directives. Makes substantive recommendations on the improvement of financial systems and internal controls, planning and restructuring and resolution of sensitive issues and problems, taking into account the prevailing conditions in the locality.
- Collaborates with senior Programme Officers and country office staff providing creative problem solving in support of programming activities relating to finance while maintaining sound internal operational controls.
- Represents the office in meetings with local banks and manages the office's bank accounts and petty cash accounts;
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in Accounting, Financial Management or Economics.
- Eight years of relevant professional work experience in accounting or financial management;
- Both national and International work experience in management, finance, accounting or related fields;
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Communication [II]
- Drive for Result [II]
- Working With People [II]
- Leading and Supervising [II
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts [II]
- Analyzing [II]
- Applying Technical Expertise [II]
- Planning and Organizing [III]
Method of Application
To apply, visit UNICEF Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale