Job Position: Natural Resources and Human Rights Program Officer
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Reporting to the Nigeria Country Director, the Program Officer is responsible for the day to day management of the Nigeria office
Natural Resources and Human Rights Program and for designing, conducting, monitoring and evaluating local capacity building initiatives and ensuring their effectiveness.
- A university degree in law, human rights, natural resources, development or a related field
- Strong academic and professional background in natural resources and human rights ,
- At least five years of progressive responsibility in human rights or development work, particularly in the areas of human rights or natural resources governance.
- Demonstrated experience in managing governance projects, in particular natural resources and community organizing.
- Demonstrated skills in training, curriculum development, and report writing.
- Demonstrated skill in legal research and analysis, in particular in relation to gender equality standards.
- Knowledge of international, regional, and domestic human rights instruments.
- Masters degree in law, human rights, international relations or development studies.
- Working knowledge of Hausa language and pidgin English preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and use of the Internet.
- Capacity to work within a collaborative framework with other organizations, governmental officials, staff and civil society groups within a multidisciplinary and multicultural setting.
- Ability to establish priorities and to develop, coordinate and monitor work plans.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take ownership to resolve problems.
- Tolerance for ambiguity and uncertainty.
- Demonstrated good judgment.
- Capacity to work in hostile environments and to relate to individuals and communities who are exposed fo rights abuses.
Remuneration is competitive.
Method of Application:
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. No calls please. Send resume, cover letter and professional writing sample by email to:
Nigeria Natural Resources and Human Rights
Program Officer Search
Fax: +1 (202) 822 4606