The United Nations Organization for Education, Science and Culture (UNESCO) was founded on 16 November 1945. UNESCO has 195 Members and eight Associate Members. It is governed by the General Conference and the Executive Board. The Secretariat, headed by the Director-General, implements the decisions of these two bodies. The Organization has more than 50 field offices around the world. Its headquarters are located at Place de Fontenoy in Paris, France, in in an outstanding, Modernist building inaugurated in 1958 and recently renovated.
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, guidance from the Director of the UNESCO Multisectoral Office in Abuja and direct supervision from the ED Senior Programme Specialist, the incumbent shall support the development, planning and implementation of the education programmes in West Africa, with a focus on higher education, innovation and technology, quality assurance in higher education, the use of ICTs and the promotion of technical and vocational education and training (TVET). In particular, the incumbent will:
- Provide intellectual, strategic and operational leadership and advise the Director on the most appropriate ways to integrate regional, sub-regional and country concerns in UNESCO's strategies, policies, programmes and projects, in particular in relation to the area of Higher Education and ICTs.
- Assess and lead analytical studies to identify regional demands, needs and interests in particular in the area of Higher education and ICT use in education; undertake and commission research in cooperation with higher education and R&D institutions.
- Support and promote the design and development or utilization of existing solutions to meet regional demand, needs, interests and expectations from educational reforms, changes and innovations in the region; Share knowledge and best practices, update and disseminate information on trends across the sub-region.
- Build on projects such as the PADTIDE to promote use of ICTs in strengthening the quality of education systems in the sub-region; Support the implementation of the Gender Transformation Leadership curriculum.
- Provide technical support to Member States in the sub-region on policy and programming; Support the strengthening of national capacities for the implementation and monitoring of the Revised Arusha Convention; Facilitate cooperation in quality assurance in higher education and the implementation of the Arusha Convention in the ECOWAS Region.
- Support the development of synergies and collaboration with regional and sub-regional organizations to strengthen and harmonize Higher education systems; cooperate with regional partners to promote TVET & the harmonisation of regional qualifications frameworks.
- Identify key internal and external stakeholders and work collaboratively with them. Build influential partnerships, maintain systematic contact with UNCT in West Africa and develop joint programmes with other UN agencies or regional partners.
- Generate extrabudgetary projects in line with regional policy priorities, including the identification, preparation and negotiation of projects and cooperation frameworks with regional and donor agencies.
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent degree) in education, social sciences or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of 7 years of progressive responsible experience both at national and international level, of which at least 4 years in the planning, development and implementation of educational programmes.
- Demontrated expertise in the field of education, especialy in the areas of higher education and ICTs in education.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Analytical skills, ability to collect, synthesise and analyse information from various sources.
- Proven ability to identify emerging educational trends and needs, and ability to plan strategically.
- Demonstrated ability to establish partnerships and to ensure a high level coordination and cooperation among relevant stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to translate strategy into priorities and action.
- Demonstrated fund-raising and resource mobilization skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to prepare, present and discuss findings and recommendations clearly and concisely.
- Ability to work in a team and to maintain effective working relationships in a multicultural environment.
- Excellent knowledge (written and spoken) of English.
Method of Application
To apply, visit UNESCO Career Page
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale