Search for Common Ground (SFCG) is an international non-profit organization that promotes peaceful resolution of conflict. With headquarters in Washington, DC and a European office in Brussels, Belgium, SFCG’s mission is to transform how individuals, organizations, and governments deal with conflict - away from adversarial approaches and toward cooperative solutions. SFCG seeks to help conflicting parties understand their differences and act on their commonalities. With a total of approximately 600 staff worldwide, SFCG implements projects from 50 offices in 35 countries, including in Africa, Asia, Europe, the Middle East, and the United States. The organization is an exciting and rewarding place to work, with a dedicated and enthusiastic staff that is committed to its mission and values. You will be joining a highly motivated staff with a good team spirit and there will be opportunities to grow in the role.
Summary of SFCG Nigeria
Since 2003, SFCG has worked through its multi-media division, Common Ground Productions, in Nigeria, from 2004 to 2008 producing and broadcasting a TV series targeting a youth audience. In 2010, SFCG began building its engagement in Nigeria, initiating a multi-year conflict transformation program, utilizing media and support to civil society in order to expand and deepen the impact of the Common Ground approach in Nigeria. SFCG has established a permanent presence in Abuja as an operational base for a number of initiatives comprising the country program. SFCG works to support peaceful resolution of conflict in regions of Nigeria such as the Niger Delta, the North East and North Central.
The Director of Finance and Administration (DFA) will take the lead in assuring the quality management of externally funded grants/contracts from inception to closure. In addition to an oversight role, the DFA will ensure that both programming and operations staff improve their understanding of different finance mechanisms and build their capacity to adhere to donor regulations related to reporting, invoicing, and asset management and purchasing. The DFA will report to the Country Director.
Grants Management and Compliance
- Support timely agreement/contract development, review, and/or approval, both with donors and partners, ensuring adherence to both internal SFCG and donor requirements.
- Ensure that all Financial Reports are done on appropriate donor templates at or before the agreed upon due date.
- Ensure adherence to segregation of duties and record keeping as per donor and SFCG internal requirements;
- Supports Grants & Compliance Manager in verification of audit report accuracy;
- Ensure timely closure of finance audit recommendations related to donor compliance; participate in preparation, implementation and monitoring of corrective action plans;
- Provide guidance and support to Grants & Compliance Manager for the timely assessment of staff and partner financial management capacity and ability to adhere to any specific donor requirements. Support Grants & Compliance Manager to develop related action plan with program and finance staff to address any capacity/system gaps;
- Work with Heads of Offices and other relevant staff to ensure adequate finance management support in each sub-office; and
- Develop and revise financial, operational and administrative management policies, as appropriate.
Financial management and analysis
- Manage cash disbursement requests from field sub-offices and support staff to prepare forecasts;
- Review donor financial reports before submission to donors;
- Prepare and update quarterly operational budget and alert senior program staff to budgetary gaps;
- Prepare budgets for new business development and revisions of current budgets to ensure alignment with actual costs and operational needs;
- Prepare payment requests to HQ and donor advance requests (as required) and track payment of these requests;
- Prepare and submit in a timely manner the Monthly Field Financial Report to SFCG-HQ, ensuring accuracy of all data, reconciliation of all accounts, the scanning of all justifying documentation;
- Review budgets with actuals reports to ensure adherence to restrictions on line item flexibility and stated restrictions on accepted costs. Support follow up actions to resolve any identified problems, including under and overspending;
- Ensure that SFCG and partners keep supporting documents for all financial transactions and ledgers for Fixed Assets, Purchase Requisitions, Cash Receipts and Disbursement;
- Lead Annual Budgeting Process for Country Program; and
- Roll out new internal finance, operations and administration policies, including capacity-building of staff
Human Resources Management
- Ensure internal staff manual and HR practices (including recruitment, contracting and remuneration, and employee separation) adhere to SFCG internal, donor and Nigerian government regulations;
- Lead recruitment and training of new finance staff and support recruitment of all other positions, including contract preparation;
- Prepare monthly payroll (including benefits and all deductions);
- Ensure submission of accurate timesheets by staff;
- Review and update the salary scale in collaboration with the Country Director and in line with operational budget;
Ensure existence of confidential mechanism for staff feedback, official complaints, and whistle blowing;
Build capacity of SFCG and partner staff in financial management through training and accompaniment;
Supervise finance staff, ensure setting of performance objectives and appraisals and performance improvement plans as necessary. Work with Country Director to make management decisions regarding staff under supervision.
- Supervises Port Harcourt Finance and Administration Manager, Jos Finance and Administration Manager, and Abuja accountant. PH and Jos Finance and Administration Managers also report to their respective Heads of Office.
KEY INTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Country Director, Deputy Country Director, Grants & Compliance Manager, Project Managers, Regional Finance Manager, Regional Program Manager, HQ-based finance staff.
KEY EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIPS
- Finance and program staff in partner organizations and donors.
- Master’s degree in finance, business administration or accounting required.
- Professional qualification in accounting (ACCA, CPA or equivalent)
- Minimum seven years relevant work experience within an NGO, of which three years should be working with EU and/or US government funds. Experience working within an international NGO is a strong advantage.
- At least three years work experience in human resource and administrative management
- Experience managing a portfolio of awards from multiple donors
- Experience preparing for internal audits and implementing audit recommendations
- Demonstrated ability to build capacity and lead trainings for staff and partners.
- Proven ability to be an effective supervisor of staff of varying levels of responsibility
- Proven ability in setting up and implementing accountability mechanisms
- Proven ability in financial planning and developing budgets for new business
- Excellent command of spoken and written English
- Mastery of Excel
- Self-guided, strong organizational and planning skills
- Ability to work independently and under pressure
- Excellent communication, coaching and facilitation skills
- Ability to travel up to 30% within Nigeria.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skills, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and education, with excellent benefits.
Location: Abuja, with travel to Jos, Port Harcourt and (if the security situation permits) Maiduguri.
Method of Application
To Apply: Please send a cover letter and resume through https://sfcg.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=447. No phone calls please. Deadline for applications is February 29, 2016. Only applicants invited for an interview will be contacted. Please see our web site www.sfcg.org for full details of our work in Nigeria and beyond.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.