The Center: CIP is a not-for-profit international agricultural research-for-development organization with a focus on potato, sweet potato, and Andean roots and tubers. Its vision is of roots and tubers improving the lives of the poor.
The Building Nutritious Food Baskets (BNFB) project: This three-year project funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, seeks to reduce hidden hunger by catalyzing sustainable investment for the utilization of biofortified crops (vitamin A cassava, vitamin A maize, vitamin A sweetpotato and iron rich beans) at scale. The project will be implemented in Nigeria and Tanzania, to demonstrate how multiple biofortified crops can be scaled up together at country level. The project is led by CIP and is implemented by a consortium partnership of six core partners - the International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT), the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT), the International Potato Center (CIP), the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA), HarvestPlus and the Forum for Agricultural Research in Africa (FARA).
The position: CIP is seeking the services of an experienced Senior Country Coordinator for Nigeria who will work closely with the Project Manager to implement project activities in close collaboration with national partners.Close liaison with national implementing partners is required to ensure demand for seed is synchronized with the seed supply chain. The employment contract will be for a 3 year term (with a 3 month probation period). This is an nationally recruited position (NRS) based in Abuja, Nigeria, with extensive local travel to support project activities in the country and occasional regional travel. This position reports to the Project Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Working closely with the Project Manager, coordinate the implementation of project activities in the country;
• Support the situation analysis consultant and implement the national advocacy strategy;
• Coordinate policy engagement and investment activities on biofortified crops at national level;
• In collaboration with the Regional Advocacy Advisor, identify advocacy priorities and approaches in Nigeria in line with the project’s advocacy strategy;
• Support the Communications and Training Specialist, the Regional Advocacy Advisor and the technical team in producing relevant advocacy / promotion / behavior change communication materials and gender responsive and culturally appropriate nutrition messages;
• Work closely with advocates, champions, key policy makers, and on-going initiatives to influence the formulation of favourable policies, strategies and plans and operationalization of existing policies on biofortification at national and regional level;
• Establish and maintain relevant linkages with national advocacy fori / existing multi-sectoral nutrition programmes, bilateral donors, and civil society and initiate establishment / strengthening of a national multi-sectoral advocacy platform that links agriculture, nutrition and health;
• Spearhead the establishment / strengthening of thematic technical and policy platforms on biofortified crops;
• Ensure key policymakers are informed about biofortification and support the efforts of the BNFB project;
• Work closely with the technical team and national implementing partners and coordinate capacity building and seed systems activities that strengthen capacities of government agencies, private sector, NGOs and CBOs to invest in biofortification;
• Support the Communications and Training Specialist with planning training events;
• Work closely with the Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation Specialist to monitor the work of BNFB in the country for quality control and documenting processes and lessons learned;
• Assist in analysing the implementation of progress, data collection and timely reporting to the Project Manager; and
• Supervise nationally recruited staff, financial and operations matters of the project at country as per CIP policies.
• Master’s degree in agriculture, horticulture, economics, nutrition, development or social science degree;
• Strong analytical and writing skills;
• Experience in networking, alliance building and previous advocacy experience;
• Experience working in a challenging and fast paced environment;
• At least 7 years’ experience as a project / program manager for a large-scale agricultural advocacy/development project;
• Demonstrated ability to manage and motivate staff into a cohesive team and proven record in effectively managing multidisciplinary partnerships;
• Demonstrated awareness and responsiveness to gender and social issues in cross-cultural and gender integration programming;
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English required;
• knowledge of one or two local languages of Nigeria preferred;
• Willingness to travel frequently.
Duties and Responsibilities
The successful candidate will have:
The employment contract will be for an initial one-year term (with a three month probation period) with possibility of renewal, subject to availability of funding. Salary will be internationally competitive, paid in US dollars, and commensurate with experience. CIP prides itself on its collegial and supportive working environment, which allows space for personal and professional growth
Apply by clicking the preferred job title below: