Marie Stopes International (MSI) is the leading international family planning/Reproductive Health Organizations in the world. We are results oriented social enterprise that develops efficient, effective and sustainable family planning/reproductive health programmes around the world.
Marie Stopes International organization, Nigeria (MSION), a partner of the MSI, is currently undertaking a dramatic scale-up of health service delivery for low income women and couples in Nigeria under the AHME project. This includes expanding health services offered within the BlueStar network, clinics and rural Outreach programs. MSION aims to reduce maternal, newborn and child health morbidity and mortality through provision of high quality BEMONC, ANC/PNC and IMCI services. The AHME project supports this objective and intends to strengthen existing health systems within the private health sector. Vision, Mission and Goals of MSION.
Reporting to: Regional Manager Programme Manager AHME
- Working with and reporting to the MSION Director of quality and clinical services and the programme manager, the MNCH advisor is responsible for leading all strategies for development and delivery of Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) interventions.
- He/she is required to spearhead quality management in AHME supported health areas, he/she will take the lead in training providers, supportive supervision, incidence management quality audits of AHME health areas and reporting.
- He/She will provide technical direction and implementation of MNCH interventions of the AHME project in accordance with the national MNCH guidelines
Quality Management BEMONC (50%):
- Objective: Ensure quality management in AHME supported health areas, he/she will take the lead in training providers, supportive supervision, incidence management quality audits of AHME health areas and reporting.
- Contribute towards MSION’s strategy and future programme direction, with particular focus on driving MSION towards programme sustainability and increasing access to services to prevent Maternal, newborn and child morbidity and mortality.
- Lead development of technically sound models to MNCH services.
- Ensure effective integration of all AHME’s expanded services within the private network providers within the region
- Provide and sustain linkage with SafeCare to enhance quality services in the BlueStar Franchise
- Collate monthly progress reports on quality assurance within the BlueStar Network
- Lead incidence management by establishing clear reporting lines.
- To ensure high level quality services are provided
- Objective: A high standard of capacity building among health professionals to deliver the intended programmes.
- Lead the efforts to assess and build the capacity of the providers within the BlueStar Network to deliver and sustain the provision of quality, MNCH services.
- Provide technical guidance and develop annual training curricula and materials for capacity building interventions for BlueStar network providers.
- Provide theoretical and practical trainings that focus on MNCH and other health areas under the AHME project
- Train providers within the network to be sure they are conversant and competent with BEmONC family planning and RH services .
- Develop MSION capacity to provide trainings in the areas of MNCH.
- Supervise and assess the quality of trainings provided by MSION and make recommendation for improvement.
- Work in close collaboration with other Senior Technical Advisors and quality advisors to ensure Quality MNCH services.
- Provide technical advice and support to the MSION Centers and franchise, on quality control, health services related training, MNCH and other programme implementations.
- Collaborate with all the stakeholders at the national and decentralized level- the FMOH, RHBs, development partners, local traditional authorities, local schools and community groups.
- Create strong relationships with key partners for MNCH.
- Support Director of Programmes to devise a plan for secondment of clinic staff to MSION franchises to facilitate sharing of experiences and best practices and learnings.
- Contribute to MSION proposal development
- Disseminate documents relevant to MNCH services through MSION’s internal communication channels.
- The programme advisor must be willing to travel to other states to support the AHME project (at least 50% travels)
- To support MSION centers in handling MNCH related issues that require attention
- Provide technical advice and/ support as and when needed by the medical team and other staffs.
- Provide leadership in the development or adaptation of service delivery models / systems which allow for expansion of service provision while promoting technical quality of care.
Sharing and Learning:
- Document and disseminate MSION best medical and programme practices to promote quality and learning.
- Ensure appropriate oversight, performance monitoring, and evaluation of AHME program results.
- Ensure documentation of experiences that highlight successes of BEmONC integration.
- Prepare technical papers, materials and presentations and represent MSION at international and domestic professional meetings and contribute for relevant professional publication.
- Contribute to post content on MSION website and corporate publications
Qualifications, Experience and Competencies
- MBBS from a recognized university /college with Masters in public health or equivalent.
- At least 6 years hands on experience in delivering quality MNCH services specifically in designing or overseeing MNCH services.
- In-depth knowledge of national guideline on focused antenatal care
- Experience in providing and /or management of MNCH trainings.
- Good understanding of different stages of Labour and rational use of oxytocics
- Basic knowledge of management of minor to moderate obstetric emergencies
- Ability to identify obstetric emergencies, Good knowledge of standard protocol for management of ectopic pregnancy, uterine rupture, PPH , Pre-eclampsia and Knowledge of use of anti-shock garment would be an advantage
- Basic surgical competence in repairing cervical lacerations, episiotomy repairs and ability to perform safe cesarean section will be a major advantage.
- Basic knowledge of newborn care is also an added advantage
Skills, Attitudes and Attributes:
- Understanding of the issues surrounding provision of MNCH services
- Good knowledge of MNCH related trainings, quality control and referral systems
- Good interpersonal/communication skills - both oral and written
- Advanced analytical and organizational skills
- Inspirational and persuasive
- Collaborative approach to team working
- Strong personal commitment to the goals of MSION and to put it into practice
- Knowledge of common software (MS Office)
go to method of application »
Reporting to: Regional Manager
- Analysis and identification of key targets from a range of potential client groups
- Activities with agreed target groups that result in them using MSION strategic services (O/R, SF, SM, clinic)
- Reflection and reporting on impact of CMMO activities and to management with recommendations on service provision
Analysis and identification of key targets from a range of potential client groups
- Using the geographical boundaries develop a clear list of potential target groups by segment, identifying issues that affect community to access, utilization and uptake of RH, long acting contraception and family planning services
- Identify promotion partners (eg SF owners)
- Document a database of contacts and interests to track input
- Make choices on whom to target when, why and how
- Establish and maintain relationships with the media and other networks
- List local leaders (Govt, non-government, religious etc)
Activities with agreed target groups that result in them using MSION strategic services (Outreach, Social Franchise, Social Marketing, Clinic)
- Monthly activity plans developed and shared
- Selection, mentoring, coaching, training and management of community volunteers
- Systematic meetings with key groups (advertising, promotional meetings, door to door etc)
- Development and disbursement of information along agreed lines appropriate to the segment
- Meetings to deliver training
- Brand promotion
Reflection and reporting on impact of community mobilisation activities and to management with recommendations on service provision
- Routine monitoring and reporting of all activities and their impact
- Client satisfaction surveys
- Meetings with service providers to report feedback
- Recommendations to management and colleagues on adjustments needed to services
- Identification and documentation of case studies
Skills and Experience
- 1st degree in any discipline
- Must be able to speak with authority and confidence about community attitudes and family planning. They must therefore have knowledge gained through study or equivalent professional experience on modern contraception, health services and local community organisation
- Computer literate is an advantage
- Able to communicate fluently in the local Nigerian Language
- Good understanding of the local area and ability to investigate and analyse
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Essential to this work is demonstrated drive and creativity to find new ways of communication and engaging with potential clients across a range of market segments with specific examples of when you have found new ways to resolve a project issue.
- Demonstrated empathy in working in underserved communities and working to impact on the lives of women
- Networking skills are essential
- Experience in managing volunteers an advantage
- Strong organizational abilities that enable you to manage your workload, follow through on objectives and meet deadlines
- Proven communications, presentation and negotiation skills. You must be able to “sell” the services that MSION offers in a way that attracts support and report clearly and without prejudice on outcomes
go to method of application »
Reporting to: Programme Director
External Networking and Representation of MSION
- Lead on the formation of effective partnerships within the development arena to increase the status and level of recognition for MSION’s work and mission and to influence the policy, practice and grant making decisions of donors and the NGO sector for a more enabling environment for delivery of sexual and reproductive health services.
- Ensure visibility and raise the profile of MSION among key stakeholders, including selected donors partners, by organizing and attending meetings and maintaining professional relationships with strategically placed individuals within target institutions
- Create and support opportunities to highlight MSION policy messages and technical expertise to a wider audience through
- Relationship maintained and built with relevant actors
- New public platform created for MSIO to showcase technical expertise, raising MSION profile as the national leader in SRHR.
- Successful collaborations arising media channels and special events, linking with communications and clinical teams as required
- Develop and lead advocacy strategies and initiatives in order to influence policy and budgetary outcomes among the main donor institutions, national working groups and government strategy documents. from participation in key working groups
Management of MSION project aimed at increasing access to LARC through scaling up the implementation of the Approved Task Sharing Policy in Nigeria
- Develop and lead in the implementation of effective strategies that will deliver the project
- Work with key relevant partners to develop the project work-plan and ensure its implementation
- Lead in the management of the team and consultants that will implement the project
- Work with relevant government ministry and partners to ensure buy in, in the operationalize the task sharing policy as it relates to the provision of LARC services
- Ensure quality and timely reports (programme and financial) are reported to the MSION SMT and donor
- Key lessons from the project are documented and disseminated
- Relationships maintained and built with relevant actors
- Timely and quality reporting of the project
Policy Change and Advocacy
- Monitor and report relevant international health and development
- policy developments
- Build strong relationships with key policy makers and cooperating partners in order to influence policy change and place MSION in a strong position
- Information shared is relevant and timely
- Support Programme Director and others in the team to draft and finalize donor narrative and financial reports directly related to the Policy Advisor role:
- Responsible for annual reports (or midterm if requested)
- Write proposals, in conjunction with the Programmes team, for further support
- Ensure implementation of the agreed project deliverables
- Maintain contacts database
- Donor reporting submitted correctly and on time
- Successful implementation of funded projects
Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a University Degree in Health Science, Social Science, or International Development Management; Master Degree is preferable
Skills and Experience:
- Have significant experience of high level representation and strong presentation skills
- At least 5 years’ experience in planning of advocacy campaigns and events
- AT least 5 years’ experience in external relations especially in the area of public health. Have existing relationships and connections within the Nigerian health sector (desirable)
- Ability to work well with others in team environments
- Must be able to satisfy stakeholders
- Should be able to work in deadline driven/results orientated atmospheres Strong people management skills
- Strategic guidance and planning skills
Attitude / Motivation:
- Motivated personally and professionally to develop
- Willingness to travel as requested
go to method of application »
- The Risk Advisor position is the primary safety and security advisor and security focal point for Marie Stopes International Organisation Nigeria (MSION).
- Reporting to the Country Director, the Risk Advisor will be responsible for fostering a culture of safety and security amongst team members and developing a strong organisational security management infrastructure. They will be directly involved with programme design and implementation, looking at general aspects of risk.
- This will be achieved through: regular analysis of the security and operating environment in Nigeria; analysing critical incidents affecting MSION, international employees and INGOs; developing and managing safety and security guidelines and Standard Operating Procedures; providing security briefings to all international visitors and conduct security inductions with all new team members; integrating security policy to all business areas; and developing and testing contingency plans.
- S/he will the first responder to any critical incident, and will review and make recommendations to the Country Management Team regarding safety and security management.
- Overall responsibility for leading a risk advisory team overseeing and analysing medical, financial, reputational, and duty of care risk, providing risk mitigation advice to the Senior Management Team
- Work closely with programmes/medical, finance, logistics and human resources departments to ensure that all new and existing projects have assessed operational risk, have documented and implemented the appropriate mitigations, and achieved duty of care
- Lead and/or support investigations of medical incidents, fraud, duty of care and insurance gaps
- Overall responsibility for ensuring MSION continually meets its Duty of Care requirements in relation to security management and in line with MSI’s Global Security Framework
- Create and update the MSION National Essential Security Package (ESP) (including Welcome Pack, Context Analysis, Threat Levels, Risk Assessment, Standard Operating Procedures, Contingency Plans and Crisis Management)
- Support MSION managers to create and update Regional ESPs (including Context Analysis, Threat Levels, Risk Assessment, Standard Operating Procedures, Contingency Plans)
- Management of day to day security incidents affecting MSION team members, assets and reputation
- Briefing, debriefing and security induction of all programme visitors, new and existing team members
- Ensure a high level of procedural and physical security measures are in place at all MSION premises, including access control, visitor protocols, key management, and appropriate branding / visibility
- Ensure that appropriate communications and other security related equipment is in place, functional, understood and appropriately used by all relevant staff members
- Contractual management of security guards and private security companies, including agreeing, checking and enforcing SOPs and performance.
- Renewal of contracts and management of payments to security communications and tracking suppliers
Crisis Management Support:
- Delivery of Crisis Management Training to the Crisis Management Team (CMT)
- Activate and ensure adherence to crisis protocol and procedures
- Advise the Country Director, CMT Lead and Support on possible actions, scenarios and outcomes during a crisis
- Ensure that decisions fully address duty of care requirements and maintain log book
- Provide links to external risk management specialists and Nigeria security networks
Human Resources Support:
- Assist HR with the security aspect of recruitment, selection, on-boarding and training of MSION positions with security responsibilities (e.g. Regional Managers)
- Successful technical management of the above positions
- Develop capacity within the country programme through training needs identification, training delivery and on the job support.
- Provide a security induction briefings to all new team members
- Attend and contribute to external security networks (donor, humanitarian forums, professional security working groups)
- Actively develop and maintain security influencer networks with a full range of stakeholders including community leaders, NGOs, donors, NGO security forums, government, police, armed forces, intelligence agencies, private security companies
- Continued contact, discussion and strategic planning with MSI’s Global Security Officer
- Ensure that MSION premises, vehicles and assets are free from hazards, safe and well prepared in terms of fire, natural disaster and general safety.
- Prepare and coordinate fire and natural disaster safety drills in all locations
- Relevant university degree, preferably risk management or international development
- Relevant security management training certificates (risk assessment, personal security, security management, abduction, hostile environment awareness) and 1st aid training
- At least 5 years of experience in a similar role with NGOs, with extensive experience in implementing security management and procedures
- Extensive experience working in Nigeria will be an added advantage
- Experience with budget creation and management
- Experience in administration and team management
- Good interpersonal, teamwork and communication skills
- Ability to train and mobilise both international and national team members
- Computer and organisational skills
- Fluent in English both written and spoken
- Extensive and active security network
- Proven ability to work creatively and independently both in the field and in the Support Office
Attitude / Motivation:
- Energy and passion for purpose
- Focus and drive and ability to stay on track
- Action orientated
- Focus on detail while being able to see the big picture
- Flexible and adaptable
- Culturally aware
- A compelling and influential communicator
- Strong networking skills
- Aligned with the values of MSION and Marie Stopes International
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and suitability statement as a single attachment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: The subject of the email should be the POSITION TITLE / LOCATION and the CV/Suitability statement should be saved in the applicant’s full name. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.