Publish What You Pay (PWYP) is a global network of civil society organisations that are united in their call for an open and accountable extractive industry in order for the revenues to help improve the lives of women, men and youth in resource-rich countries. PWYP undertakes public campaigns and policy advocacy to achieve disclosure of information about extractive industry revenues, contracts and government budgets. Since its establishment in 2002, the global network has grown to over 800 member organisations across the world including human rights, development, environmental and faith-based groups. In 41 countries, PWYP network members have joined forces by creating civil society coalitions for collective action.
PWYP Nigeria is in the process of registering as a separate entity and for the first six months the Programme Officer will be based at the office in Abuja while longer term hosting arrangements will be sorted out.
We are looking for a highly organised, enthusiastic and motivated individual to provide dedicated support to PWYP Nigeria coalition on strategy development, coalition building, governance, fundraising, campaign advocacy, communication, networking and outreach across Nigeria, to fill the vacant position of:
Location: Abuja with some domestic and international travel 2
Reporting to: National Coordinator and Steering Committee
- S/he will be responsible for ensuring the advancement of the coalition in Nigeria.
Coalition Building, Communication, Networking and Outreach:
- Develop annual, quarterly and other appropriate plans and budgets for PWYP Nigeria in line with the National strategic plans and the PWYP Vision 20/20.
- Maintain regular communication and structured coordination with coalition members by providing the members with timely, relevant, adequate and quality information at all times.
- Maintain regular communication with the PWYP International Secretariat.
- Coordinate a communications strategy for the coalition and lead PWYP Nigeria communications, including writing press releases, speaking with reporters etc.
- In a timely manner, document all activities of the coalition.
- Regularly reach out to coalition members, and ensuring their involvement in coalition in activities.
- Regularly send updates for the Nigeria page of PWYP website, plus develop and maintain a social media sites (Facebook, twitter) and other communication material.
- Drive the development of PWYP Nigeria’s newsletter
- Set-up and manage the PWYP Nigeria Google group, ensuring that the mailing list is constantly used as a medium for information sharing, discussions and updates on PWYP Nigeria and global PWYP progress
- Maintain an updated database for PWYP Nigeria and share with the PWYP International Secretariat.
- Facilitate the recruitment of members to the coalition.
- Promote active work with grassroots organisations on constituent mobilization; including expanding and activating the PWYP network.
- Develop, promote and sustain relevant networks with identified organisations
- Facilitate awareness raising workshops and fora with key stakeholders in collaboration with the PWYP members.
- If applicable participate, present and represent PWYP at international and national conferences and events.
- Coordinate PWYP Nigeria’s lobbying and advocacy initiatives that are aimed at ensuring transparency and advocacy along the entire value chain of extractive industries
- Support the implementation of the Nigeria Extractive Industries Transparency Initiative, including facilitating and building capacity of member organizations to analyse and use of data disclosed through EITI reports and other sources
- Facilitate full engagement of PWYP Nigeria member organisations in the Nigerian EITI processes
- Coordinate member advocacy with extractive industry companies to promote voluntary disclosure, participation in EITI, and support for mandatory disclosure regulations
- Work with sub-structures at national level and member organisations to promote extractive industry transparency in government policies through direct engagement with government officials and agencies.
- Coordinate campaigns and asks with PWYP International network at global and national levels, e.g. support for mandatory disclosure regulations, African Mining Vision, and Western Africa regional extractives campaigns.
- Research and draft memos, fact sheets, backgrounders and other materials as necessary for PWYP Nigeria advocacy efforts
- Facilitate and promote PWYP Nigeria’s strategic reflection, planning and learning on effective advocacy strategies and approaches to engage with key stakeholders and advance the extractive industry transparency agenda
- Facilitate sharing of experiences, providing assistance and support to member organisations to effectively and proactively advocate for improved legislation and policy regulating the extractive sector
- Develop and implement the PWYP Nigeria youth involvement strategy to ensure the development of a next generation of leaders who engage on the extractive agenda in Nigeria
- Coordinate all research activities in areas clearly identified by PWYP Nigeria in collaboration with PWYP members
- Support fundraising efforts for PWYP Nigeria activities through developing funding proposals
- Manage grant funds and produce regular donor narrative and financial reports
- Maintain dynamic and productive relations with donors and engage in proactive outreach to new donors
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, Attitudes:
- In possession of at least a Bachelor degree in relevant field
- A minimum of three years’ experience in a civil society coalition
- An excellent command of English both written and spoken. Any other language is a strong asset
- The ability to multi task and ability to adapt in a changing work environment
- The ability to work in a project orientated manner with all the interests of the involved stakeholders at heart and a strong focus on the end results
- Strong organisational, computer and analytical skills
- Familiarity with the global extractive industry transparency movement and with the basic structure / operations of the extractive industries a strong plus
- Experience in fundraising with a track record of working with (international) donors
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills (both written and verbal)
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience of using social media and Content Management Systems is desirable
- A self-starter
- Proactive thinker and perceptive individual
- Sociable, enjoys meeting new people and helping others
- Enjoys organising, planning and delivering work
- Enthusiastic and engaging
- Ability to present well and act professionally
- Ability demonstrate attention to detail, initiative and reliability
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV's and cover letter indicating how you are meeting the criteria to: firstname.lastname@example.org . Please indicate in the subject matter PWYP Nigeria Programme Officer.
Note: Applications will be reviewed as they are received so you are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.