The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The Board Affairs Department (SGBA) of the Vice Presidency General Secretariat provides for the day to day operational requirements for the effective functioning of the Boards of Directors and at key times, the work of the Boards of Governors. The SGBA’s responsibilities extends from the setting up of the Boards work programme through review and distribution of documents to ad hoc services and monitoring of the utilization of certain major budgets including those of the Bank Group Annual Meetings. In Addition, SGBA is responsible for shareholder related activities, monitoring of relations with member countries and providing support and administrative services to Elected Officers.
Duties and responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Division Manager/Director, the incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Prepare statutory documents for the Annual Meetings of the Boards of Governors: (i) The agenda of meetings of the Boards of Governors (in consultation with the Office of the President and Vice Presidential Complexes); (ii) Designation of Bureau members and the Joint Steering Committee; (iii) Designation of the Standing Committee on Conditions of Service of Elected Officers;
- Help compile documents included in the agenda of the Boards of Governors on time; draw the attention of the Vice President Secretary General and departments concerned on time limits;
- Monitor the decisions and resolutions taken by the Boards of Governors with a view to preparing status reports for the Boards and the draft work programme for the subsequent year;
- Prepare and submit to the Boards of Governors documents relating to the composition of the subsidiary organs of the Boards of Governors;
- Organize the work of subsidiary organs of the Boards of Governors (Governors’ Consultative Committee, Standing Committee on the Conditions of Service of Elected Officers and the Joint Steering Committee): (i) prepare invitation letters; (ii) prepare meeting agendas and programmes; (iii) monitor, coordinate and compile working documents for meetings; and (iv) monitor meeting recommendations;
- Prepare background papers, analyses and recommendations for use by the Vice President Secretary General during meetings of subsidiary organs of the Boards of Governors;
- Organize and monitor postal ballots and produce final reports on these votes to be transmitted to the Board of Directors and Board of Governors;
- Help prepare and organize the elections of the President and Executive Directors (General and By-Elections) of the Bank;
- Prepare documents for the Boards of Directors: (i) renewal of Board Committees; (ii) assumption of duty by the Dean; and (iii) appointment of African Development Bank (ADB) Executive Directors to the African Development Fund (ADF) Board of Directors;
- Maintain and monitor relations with Bank Member Countries by drafting official correspondence of the President of the Bank addressed to Governors and Alternate Governors as well as regularly update and publish the list of Governors and Alternate Governors;
- Coordinate negotiations on the admission or withdrawal of Member States and manage relations with member States with regards to ADB capital subscriptions and general capital increase or ADF replenishments, in collaboration with the General Counsel & Legal Services Department (GECL) and Treasury Department (FTRY);
- Regularly update and publish the status of voting powers of member States in cooperation with FTRY;
- Perform any other duty required by the Director or Division Manager.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- At least a Master’s degree in Law, International Relations, Public Administration or other related disciplines;
- A minimum of six (6) years of relevant professional experience and thorough understanding of the rules governing the composition and functioning of Multilateral Development Banks’ Boards of Directors and Boards of Governors and their subsidiary organs;
- Familiarity with the organization of work and internal procedures of the Boards of Directors and Boards of Governors;
- Sound knowledge of Multilateral Development Bank’s rules, policies and procedures and the functioning of their Secretariats;
- Ability to work quickly and produce recommendations; strong and proven analytical and communication skills;
- Ability to meet client needs and achieve results, paying attention to detail (rigour);
- Excellent ability to communicate in French and/or English, with a good working knowledge of the other language;
- Mastery of the software applications currently used in the Bank (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should visit AfDB's Career Website
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale