Plan International is one of the oldest and largest children's development organizations in the world. We work in 72 countries around the world, to promote child rights and lift millions of children out of poverty. Plan's vision is a world in which all children realise their full potential in societies that respect people's rights and dignity. Our aim is to achieve lasting improvements in the quality of life of deprived children. Plan Internationals an Independent International Non-Governmental Organiation with no religious or political affiliations.
Plan International Nigeria focuses on health, education, governance, and participation, economic security and protection for children. Plan Nigeria works with communities, civil society partners, government at all levels and the private sector in advancing and protecting the rights of children.
As part of the process of expanding and strengthening our operations in Nigeria, Plan International Nigeria, seeks to recruit the position of:
- To coordinate advice and implement communication and Public Relations programs, projects and activities, and to contribute to Plan International Nigeria becoming a recognized voice for child rights, children's issues and poverty eradication in Nigeria.
- Develop and implement strategy and annual plans for improved internal and external communication.
- Support program and advocacy initiatives of Plan-International, Nigeria with technical coordination and advice to their communication plans to meet the required standards
- Facilitate the creation of a strong professional image at Plan international Nigeria amongst external media to reach the right audience
- Organize the rollout of corporate and region-wide initiatives on communications at country level to promote Plan International Nigeria.
- Develop and manage relationships with national media, journalist networks as well as NGOs and government authorities in the area of communication to ensure Plan communications reach the right audience
- Support the production of Plan International Nigeria's corporate program reports/documents to meet the required standards
- Contribute to sharing and learning about Plan International Nigeria's program through efficient use of internal and external communication channels and systems to ensure Plan
- Supports measures to strengthen the capacity of staff to communicate using a variety of channels and for different audiences to support the effective dissemination of Plan programmes and projects.
- Support/facilitate media visits at country level to ensure the objectives of such visits are well met Produces, manages and monitors communication budget of the country office to ensure value for money is attained at all times
- Efficient management of communication in crisis/disaster situations to create the right environment. Report on emergency/disaster situations according to required standards
- Set up and ensure that data bank and resource centre have updated information for storytelling and provide information for internal and external audiences. Proper documentation of Plan information is available at all times
- Comply with Plan's Child Protection Policy at all times to safeguard and protect children from all forms of abuse.
- Perform any other work related duties to be assigned to support the attainment of organizational goals.
- Support the campaign, ensure media contribution, support and take initiatives towards campaign objectives in the country.
- Liaise with regional communication specialists to share experiences and best practices on international and national campaign issues.
- Produces campaign reports and media type productions and promote girls through case studies and assist other Plan International Offices in productions about girls.
Knowledge, Skills, Behaviors, and Experience required for the Role
Gained through education, training, and experience:
Qualification and Experience
- At least first Degree; a Master's Degree in Journalism, Mass Communications and Public Relations, or related degrees.
- At least, Five (5) years of relevant professional experience including management and implementation of communication strategies, and communications and marketing products
- Experience in the NGO sector preferably with child rights and community development background
- Strong background in communication and public relationship and appreciable national network.
Demonstrated Behaviors needed by the Post-holder to successfully perform the role:
- Promotes innovation and learning
- Communicates clearly and effectively
- Ability to facilitate participative processes that aim to decision making and agreement
- Strong competencies to plan, prioritize, and execute autonomously with strategic approach
- Ability to deliver to tight deadlines and budgets
- Capacity to prioritize subjects based on an adequate reading of local reality
- Creativity and innovation
- Good knowledge of the communication procession and excellent understanding on Nigeria's media and communication environment:
- Excellent writing, editing and reviewing skills - fluent in the English. Ability to speak French language will be an added advantage.
- Knowledgeable in working with local and international media and liaising media activities in a national and regional environment
- Knowledge in building individual and organizational capacity in communications and PR skills.
- Excellent ICT skills - use of basic applications and social media savvy.
Skills Specific to the post needed to put knowledge into practice:
- Strong negotiation, facilitating and influencing skills
- Ability to understand different cultural contexts and marketing/PR realities related development issues would be an advantage.
- Able "to put in practice" concepts and strategic thinking
- Excellent writing, editing and reviewing skills - fluent in the English
- Strong team building and motivational skills
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should submit a full CV and a comprehensive cover letter setting out your reason for applying for the post and outlining the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills that feel you can bring to the role to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.