ABOUT THE ORGANISATION
The Nobeah Foundation is the not-for-profit counterpart of Nobeah Technologies Ltd., a technology company focusing on technology with deep potential for social impact as well as the strong growth prospects required for sustainability. The innovative technology developed by Nobeah Technologies Ltd. targets transformative change, aiming to dramatically impact areas such as literacy, and health care. But in addition to these immediate potential impacts, Nobeah's core values are to seek deeply insightful solutions that reach the heart of social challenges, changing the very equations so that they solve themselves in a sustainable way. The Nobeah Foundation was created to distribute technologies from Nobeah Technologies Ltd. on a subsidized or free basis where those technologies could have dramatic impact.
Across Africa the Nobeah Foundation will raise money from both local and international donors to sponsor free distribution of the technologies from Nobeah. Through these activities the foundation will achieve its goal of supporting insightful game-changing innovations that impact the very equations of human suffering and limited opportunity so solutions emerge organically, then building capacity for the solutions to sustain themselves and provide a solid platform on which further innovations may find anchor.
Some of the areas relevant to this position in which Nobeah Foundation is researching solutions are below.
- Afripad – a radically cost effective hybrid e-reader/computer set to revolutionize access to educational materials and to transform educational outcomes.
- FreeSunPower Solar Panels – a modular solution which through ease of deployment and expansion is intended to dramatically accelerate adoption of renewable energy based on solar power.
- Hybrid Grid Electrification with Nobeah's Renewable Energy Solutions – a mini grid solution intended to accelerate rural electrification while increasing resilience. This solution also acts as the power source for the Afripad.
- Internet Caching Solution – stores (caches) internet content offline so that children in schools without any internet connectivity can still enjoy a rich educational browsing experience.
- Nobeah Distributed Discrete Work Management Methodology (DDWMM) - the DDWMM is Nobeah’s signature methodology and is key to Nobeah’s business operations. It is also in itself a potentially powerful force in job creation.
- Nobeah Off-Grid Power Solution – an easy to use and tool-less renewable energy solution that is modularly expandable from serving the needs of one individual to serving the needs of many.
- Nobeah Smartwire – Nobeah’s smartwire provides a means to create a mini-grid from Nobeah’s renewable energy solutions without the need for tools or specialized expertise, in order to dramatically accelerate electrification.
- Women and Girls Technology Mentoring – Nobeah already has agreements for large internship programs signed with various universities in Nairobi. This mentoring program will solicit donor funds to bring more young women into those programs with a focus on giving mentorship for the technology industry as a whole rather than on Nobeah’s specific needs.
The Editing Intern manages the generation of content for Nobeah’s online presence whether on its newsletter, its website, its social media.
Summary of Position:
The newly formed Nobeah Foundation is seeking a Social Media Content Writing Intern in Nigeria, Ethiopia, Egypt, Congo, South Africa, Tanzania, Algeria, Uganda, Sudan and Morocco. The Editing Intern manages the generation of content for Nobeah's online presence whether on its newsletter, its website, its social media presence, or whether submitted by our writers as guest contributors on other sites. Editorial interns gain a strong understanding of good business practices by taking on an active role in the process. Here is some of the exciting and valuable work our editorial interns will do:
- Headline/Story Angling: This essential Editorial function involves talking directly with a variety of individuals with an interest in international development (such as donors) to learn what sorts of headlines spur them to want to read the stories we produce, and how they would like to have that information presented to them. Skills: interviewing and market understanding.
- Writing Short Summaries of Latest Happenings: These crisp, focused features will appear in the Nobeah Foundation's newsletters. The task requires researching the Web and other sources for newsy items that can be rewritten and tailored to fit our needs. Skills: research, writing, editing and market focus.
- Writing Scenario Responses: In a “Scenario” feature an international development problem is posed by one of our writers, and project teams from the Nobeah Foundation or other real-life NGOs are contacted and asked to offer a solution to the challenge. Skills: writing, interviewing and editing.
- Writing Lighter Sides: This involves finding a newsy or interesting item and transforming it into a short, humorous tale. Skills: research, writing, creative writing and editing.
- Online Content: We require vibrant, accurate editorial content. Produce the types of stories and copy our newsletter and online presences requires to be successful.
- Product Meeting Interviews: Periodically we will assess our newsletter and other published content to determine how well it fits the needs and interests of the audience it targeted at. Interns would be involved in this essential function by conducting 15 to 20-minute interviews with members of our audience.
- Marketing, Production and Fulfillment: Look at the other crucial elements needed to produce a successful newsletter in today’s competitive marketplace.
- These positions require between 5-40 hours a week at any hours and any day per week as long as the requirements for on-line meeting and other collaboration are met. The positions are flexible to accommodate up to 100% remote work. Computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office are required.
This is a volunteer position.
The detailed responsibilities include but are not limited to those below:
- Dive feet-first into managing our newsletter, articles on our website, our social media presence, or articles our writers submit as guest contributors on other sites.
- Works with writers and producers to create new content according to a schedule and editorial policy.
- Maintain editorial tone and integrity, serving as copy editor and fact checker for the published posts.
- Conceive story ideas and angles with wide appeal and understand our evolving readership.
- Read content posted to our social media presence to look for and fix glaring copy or fact errors.
- Meet over Skype with team regularly to discuss story publication schedule and strategy.
- Continue seeking out and adding new and talented voices to our writers.
- Responsible for mature judgments on content.
- Writing creative headlines to stories selected for publication.
- Responsible for the quality and effectiveness of the content we publish.
The candidate should be:
- Located in the country,
- Speak at least one local language
- Have a network of contacts in the country in order to fulfill work permit and other requirements.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Solid command of the English language.
- Experience working in a new media or online community (social media)
- Good writing skills, with a desire to learn more.
- Strong interviewer with good interpersonal skills and the ability to learn to communicate with and relate to all levels within and outside the organization.
- Strong interest in international development.
- Good market research skills.
- Strong computer skills, aptitude and interests including MS-Office; Word, Excel & PowerPoint. Knowledge of WordPress preferred.
- Good work ethic, focus and enthusiasm, with a strong desire to succeed.
- Strong academic record.
- Verbal intelligence to convey ideas and knowledge to other editors and reporters.Ability to clearly transmit thoughts and experience in writing.
- Social media, HTML and multimedia background a plus
- Strong follow-through and attention to detail.
- Ability to work well both independently (must be a self-starter) and collaboratively as part of an integrated team.
Method of Application
To apply for this position send an email to email@example.com with your resume attached and with the subject line: “Re:Application for Newsletter and Social Media Content Editing Intern -(country Name).”
Please ensure your name and other contact details are both in your resume and in the email itself.
“We look forward to your application. In the meantime, we invite you to visit our Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/www.nobeahfoundation.org”.