In 1965, Clark Abt expressed a single, noble goal—to create a world free of war and poverty. The visionary set to work establishing Abt Associates. Over the next half century, the company became known as a bold, innovative and effective agent of social change, committed to improving the quality of life and economic well-being of people worldwide. Today, Abt Associates continues to be a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Known for its rigorous approach to solving complex challenges, Abt Associates is regularly ranked as one of the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 international development innovators
The International Health Division is committed to the improvement of health and healthcare delivery around the world. Serving both the public and private sectors, our efforts include health policy research and evaluation, health promotion and disease prevention, health finance, and health systems management. Our impact is felt in policies that ensure healthcare access for women, children, and individuals with special needs, in strengthening health infrastructures, and HIV/AIDS solutions.
Abt Associates is in search of a Senior Finance & Contract Manager to join the International Health Division.
The Partnership for Transforming Health Services, Phase 2 (PATHS2), a DFID-funded program in Nigeria, aims to improve the planning, financing and delivery of sustainable and replicable pro-poor health services for common health problems, focusing on two states and the federal government. The Senior Finance & Contract Manager / Senior Finance Manager will be based in Abuja and will be responsible for the financial management, accounting, budgeting, procurement, acquisitions and financial reporting of the PATHS2 project.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
Specific duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Directly manages and oversees the financial management, accounting and procurement team of the PATHS2 project (Abuja accountant(s), cashier(s) and procurement specialist(s))
- Indirectly manages and oversees the financial management, accounting and procurement team of the PATHS2 state offices in Enugu and Lagos to ensure consistency in PATHS2 financial management and accounting procedures and implementation.
- Provides training to field staff on project financial procedures as well as building skill-levels of project staff in the area of finance and budgeting.
- Responsible for oversight, preparation, and submission of integrated financial reports for the entire PATHS2 operation in Nigeria for both client reporting and Government of Nigeria reporting requirements.
- Serves as the primary point of contact for all major project banking transactions; reviews monthly bank reconciliation for submission with the monthly Remote Office Voucher (ROV).
- Responsible for oversight, preparation, and submission of the Remote Office Voucher (ROV) to Abt International Accounting department in the US, including all receipts invoices field expense reports, reimbursements, both electronically and in original form with full complete accurate original documentation of all field-based costs.
- Prepares budgets, including the review and finalization of projects’ monthly cash flow projections from each of the state office and prepares monthly wire transfer requests to ensure that the project maintains adequate funds for all technical operations. The Senior Finance Manager also confirms receipt of all Abt cash transfers and monitors availability of funds in Petty Cash accounts to support all field based operations.
- Monitors and strictly enforces travel advances, issuing and reimbursement procedures for all local staff and expats.
- Reviews and approves all check requests and documentation
- Responsible for the management and control of petty cash payments, controls and procedures, including preparation and certification of the monthly cash count.
- Assists in internal and external audits
- Creates and maintains financial reporting and tracking systems providing data measurements on financial performance of project and project activities.
- Prepares budgets and revenue plans for project programming and corporate reporting.
- Serves as project's contact with client on finance issues. Assist the NPM and the DNPM with negotiations with client on contract issues and actions and follow up on client requests and concerns.
- Develops and implements accounting and reporting systems for project expenditures, and provides guidance and training to project staff and partners on financial procedures
- Leads procurement efforts for the project, selection and negotiation with vendors, and management of subcontractors on project. Ensures value for money in all procurement actions
- Reviews purchase orders/purchase requisitions to ensure terns and conditions are met and value for money in vendor selection
- Reviews and tracks the completeness and accuracy of all vendor and consultant invoices, bills and other financial claims made against the PATHS2 project in the normal course of business.
- Regularly reviews and assesses field financial procedures and reports any discrepancies or changes. Enforces strict adherence to the PATHS2 project’s authority matrix
- Implement financial and administrative policies and procedures that meet project needs and corporate and client requirements.
- Oversees field staff payroll preparation and controls. Prepares and/or supervises the accurate, consistent and regular monthly calculation and payment of PAYE and other payroll taxes deductions.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Bachelor’s Degree (required) or Master’s Degree (desirable), in Accounting, Finance, Business, Management, or other relevant field.
- 12 years of relevant professional experience in project management, contract administration, financial management, and/or program operations.
- Experience with QuickBooks
- Five or more years of international project management experience, preferably in West Africa.
- Experience with DFID is a plus.
- Experience in Nigeria is a plus.
- Experience in project implementation.
- Excellent writing, computer, management and organizational skills.
- Successful track record as financial manager.
- Experience successfully managing sizable staff.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills, initiative, and good judgment.
- Ability to anticipate and solve problems.
- Ability to independently plan and execute complex tasks while addressing daily management details and remaining organized and focused on long-term deadlines and strategy.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably quaified candidates should click here to apply online.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale