The African Development Bank Group (AfDB) is a multilateral development finance institution established to contribute to the economic development and social progress of African countries. The AfDB was founded in 1964 and comprises three entities: The African Development Bank, the African Development Fund and the Nigeria Trust Fund.
The Human Resources Department is responsible for developing and implementing professional, effective and efficient HR service to the Bank’s various organizational units. Operating in a business partnering environment, the Director, Human Resources, supports key business initiatives to recruit and develop talented professionals, grow performance capability, provide best practices in talent management and contribute to higher levels of employee engagement.
Duties and responsibilities
Reporting to, and partnering with, the Vice-President, Corporate Services and supporting Senior Management, the Director will lead a professional HR team to maintain and drive change throughout the Bank, while on a wider scale, delivering the Bank’s People Strategy. As a key member of the leadership team, the Director, Human Resources will work in a varied generalist role to develop and lead the HR functions across the Bank ensuring HR aligns with the Bank’s strategic business objectives. The CHRM director will oversee the management of four divisions; (i) client services, (ii) HR shared services, (iii) programmes, policy and strategy and (iv) employee relations and welfare.
- Formulate and recommend human resources policies and programmes in line with the Bank’s strategies and priorities, in the different areas related to Human resources, including institutional capacity building; career development; staff mobility; performance management, compensation and benefits management, and employee health and well-being.
- Plan, organise, direct and coordinate the Human Resources Department's work plan and related resource planning and utilisation; assign projects and programmatic responsibilities; review and evaluate work methods and procedures; meet with staff to prevent and/or identify and resolve problems.
- Provide leadership and direction to management in the implementation of institutional and HR reforms by establishing appropriate linkages to the operational strategy of the Bank.
- Advise senior management on the vision and strategic framework for the management of its human resources and the supporting policies and practices in order to make the most effective use of Bank staff;
- Drive change management programmes and effective culture changes that are required to ensure the success of the organisation.
- Create, implement and revise HR strategy that is aligned with the Bank’s vision, mission, strategic objectives, as well as operations;
- Provide leadership in the development of Bank Group’s human resources policies, rules, regulations, norms and standards; ensuring their successful dissemination across the Bank and alignment to international practice and legal requirements.
- Manage and supervise HR Managers, supporting them to achieve strategic and operational targets.
- Promote a focused and team based culture, to ensure consistent service across the department.
- Plan, organize, direct and supervise human resources planning, recruitment, placement, performance management, career development, compensation and benefits, and health and well-being of Bank employees, and determine the appropriate organizational structure of the department.
- Ensure appropriate systems of performance management and development, communications, quality measures, monitoring and review are in place to support organizational change, culture and values.
Including desirable skills, knowledge and experience
- A Master’s Degree or its equivalent in Human Resources or related disciplines;
- At least fifteen (15) years of extensive and progressive experience in Human Resource Management of which seven (7) years should have been at a managerial level;
- Working experience in a multilateral development organization is an asset;
- Demonstrable experience of working in a client-centric, business partnering environment.
- Strong generalist HR experience, especially in; (i) supporting managers and staff in planning and implementing change (ii) employee relations, well-being and work life balance, (ii) people search, selection and retention, (iii) compensation design, implementation, and management, (iv) equal opportunities and employment policies, (v) management of HR information systems and processes (vii) performance management and assessment, (vi) people planning, career planning, and succession management;
- Demonstrable experience executing organizational transformational change and improvement of processes;
- Sound understanding of the business and operational needs with proven capacity to innovate, promote and direct change initiatives in corporate human resource policies and services in large organizations;
- Proven experience in HR Management theories and principles, policy and strategy development, employee relations, personnel administration and different functional areas of Human resources;
- Proven record of building and managing teams and creating an enabling environment, including the ability to effectively lead, supervise, mentor and develop and evaluate staff;
- Must be result autonomous, result oriented, self-motivated and possess the ability to combine both “hands on,” strategy and policy issues;
- Advanced ability to plan and organize, and deliver under pressure and good problem-solving, people management skills as well as the ability to prioritize and multi-task;
- The position requires strong oral and written communication skills and the ability to deal with all levels of the organization effectively and diplomatically;
- Proven interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment, with sensitivity and respect for diversity and the ability to build trust and provide consultancy to different stakeholders;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and/or French, and knowledge of the other language.
Method of Application
To apply, please send a full Curriculum Vitae (CV) together with a supporting statement, briefly highlighting your experience and skills against the requirements of the role, to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org including job role in the subject title. The closing date for applications is Friday 15th August 2015.