The United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) is the United Nations' global development network.
Headquartered in New York City, UNDP advocates for change and connects countries to knowledge, experience and resources to help people build a better life. It provides expert advice, training, and grant support to developing countries, with increasing emphasis on assistance to the least developed countries.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- Maintenance of proper registry system
- Effective mail management and
- Cost recovery for pouch services
Ensures maintenance of registry system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Maintenance of the office filing system in accordance with the UNDP Global Filing System
- Opening of new subject files as required and disposal of old files in accordance with the established retention schedule.
- Maintenance of archives, making sure files are properly stored and accessible; safe keeping of documents
- Provision of photocopies of material from the registry files, as requested by staff. Assistance in the collection of reference and background material from registry files
- Establishment and maintenance of records system of file movements within the office; maintenance of the office circulation and reading files.
- Preparation of correspondence and reports related to registry activities
Ensures provision of effective mail management focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Receipt, registration, coding and forwarding of incoming faxes, letters and other correspondence to proper department/unit/officer.
- Registration and dispatch of the outgoing communications, including pouch, and follow-up distribution. Prepares the summary of enclosure forms and necessary documents and maintains the file on pouches received to ensure that all bags are accounted for.
Ensures cost recovery for pouch/courier services focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provision of information for proper prorating and billing of user agencies.
- Follow up with agencies to ensure reimbursement of the courier charges
- Demonstrates commitment to UNDP mission, vision and values
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
Knowledge Management and Learning
- Shares knowledge and experience
- Provides helpful feedback and advice to others in the office
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Demonstrates good IT skills
- Good knowledge of UNDP global filing system
- Understanding of UNDP operations procedures
Leadership and Self-Management
- Focuses on result for the client and responds positively to feedback
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude
- Remains calm, in control and good humored even under pressure
- Responds positively to critical feedback and different points of view
- Ability to perform a variety of repetitive and routine tasks and duties
- Ability to review data, identify and adjust discrepancies
- Ability to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints
- Good knowledge of administrative rules and regulations
- Ability to operate and maintain a variety of computerized business machines and office equipment in order to provide efficient delivery of service
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks by establishing priorities
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary education.
- Some typing skills required and knowledge of sound record-keeping procedures
- 3 years of relevant work experience
- Ability to work with computer and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages.
- Fluency in the UN and national language of the duty station.
go to method of application »
Duties and Responsibilities
To support the project develop its training programme for key Federal and State government agencies to assess and mitigate the risks and threats to biodiversity from the O&G sector in the Niger Delta. It is necessary to assess the training needs, design a training programme and develop the training curriculum. Therefore the project is hereby seeking a qualified international consultant experienced in training on biodiversity, forestry and environment to carry out the assignments in four Niger – Delta States namely; Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Delta and Rivers State.
The specific results will include:
- Develop training needs assessment questionnaire, collect information and analyse it to determine(1) target training group and the training subjects/contents; (2) training methods; (3) training levels (basic and/or advanced) for each targeted groups of participants:
- Design the training programme’s curriculum suitable to each training subject/content and training level (basic and/or advanced);
- Provide technical guidance and quality control to the project team on the development of deliverables, stakeholder consultation and analysis for activities within the capacity building component of the project;
- Lead the development of the training need assessment report, training programme and training curriculum;
- Facilitate relevant stakeholder consultations including meetings, workshops, learning activities and other related activities;
- Attend and present findings at meetings, workshops as requested;
- Collaborate with Project Management Unit to implement other related activities to achieve products as required by the assignment.
The consultant will work under the direct supervision of the National Coordinator of the Niger-Delta Biodiversity Project and overall supervision from the Team Leader, Sustainable Development Unit at the Country Office. In ensuring the quality of the work undertaken, an inception meeting will be held between the consultant/firm/NGO and the National Coordinator to agree on expectation, scope of the work, and a specific work plan on the basis of an inception report. Prior to the consultant/firm/NGO concluding the work, a de-brief meeting will be held to discuss any further issues which requires further follow-up.
The International expert will work with local experts who will be:
- Tasked with working with undertaking a training needs assessment regarding mainstreaming issues in the four pilot Delta States and within two federal Ministries;
- Developing a Biodiversity Leadership Capacity Building Programme to mitigate risks & threats from the O & G sector in the Niger Delta. The Programme will consists of protected area managers, forest rangers and other stakeholders on biodiversity conservation, management, business plan development, biodiversity monitoring, financing mechanism and legal framework.
- Demonstrates integrity by modelling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability;
- Treats all people fairly without favouritism.
Knowledge Management and Learning:
- Shares knowledge and experience and actively works towards continuing personal learning and development;
- Ability to provide top quality policy advice services;
- In-depth practical knowledge of inter-disciplinary development issues.
Development and Operational Effectiveness:
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting;
- Ability to work with minimal supervision;
- Ability to lead formulation and evaluation of development programmes and projects;
- Ability to apply biodiversity concepts to the specific country context, carry out high-quality environmental research.
Management and Leadership:
- Focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to critical feedback;
- Encourages risk-taking in the pursuit of creativity and innovation;
- Leads teams effectively and shows conflict resolution skills;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates strong oral and written communication skills;
- Builds strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Abililty to go beyond established procedures and models, propose new approaches which expand the range of programmes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Postgraduate Degree in Environmental Resource Management, Forestry, Agriculture or related field.
- At least 10 years’ experience in protected area management and/or biodiversity conservation and /or facilitating capacity development of protected area management or biodiversity conservation;
- Knowledge of and advisory experience in nature, environment, biodiversity conservation, management and sustainable use of natural resources, protected area management;
- Extensive knowledge in research, tools development, community projects;
- Experience in facilitating dialogues/communications between local communities and national governments;
- Experience in actual management and implementation of natural resource management projects;
- Experience in policy formulation and legislation in the natural resource management sector;
- Experience in policy and legislation in protected area management and/or biodiversity conservation;
- Sound understanding of UNDP/GEF requirements and policies, UNDP/GEF projects is an asset.
Method of Application
Interested and suitably qualified candidats should click on preferred job titles to apply online.