Created in 1833, Lafarge group, headquartered in France, is the world leader in building materials, with top-ranking positions in three of its activities: No 1 worldwide in Cement, No 2 worldwide in Aggregates & Concrete, and No 3 worldwide in Gypsum.
Located in 62 countries with 64,000 employees, Lafarge is a world leader in building materials, with top-ranking positions in its Cement, Aggregates & Concrete businesses. In 2013, Lafarge posted sales of 15.1 billion euros.
Business Unit: WAPCO Operations
Job Type: Permanent
- Provides assistance in preparing, drafting and vetting all agreements.
- Conduct legal research to assist legal manager in rendering accurate legal opinion and high standard of commercial practice
- Render returns at CAC.
- Organise the Legal Library, update and keep record of books.
- Update the filing system and properly serialize all documents. Assist legal manager in proper documentation/ record keeping of all matters.
- Make data entries required for updating Group legal reporting tool – Blue print in line with laid down procedure and after clarification from legal manager.
- Update list of contracts, guarantees, indemnities and security documents, titles, leases, licenses etc. and ensure proper records are obtained and kept.
- Update list of litigation- cases database regularly and provide monthly reports on cases and law firm handling it. Assist in general litigation administration.
- Assist in collation and binding of Board Papers. Dispatch and issuance of notices for meetings. Raise all allowances and requisitions for Directors.
- Maintain list and addresses of Directors, Audit Committee, Shareholders’ Association and prepare allowances and entitlements due to same.
- Monitor and attend cases at court pre-trial and trial stages and provide report on suitability of law firm handling the matter.
- Conduct investigations internal and external to outline legal issues affecting the Company and proffer solutions.
- Assist head office, Sagamu works and Ewekoro works in handling accident and criminal matters, including actual court appearances.
- Maintain House Ownership scheme records.
- Receive claims from Plants and Head office and report to the Legal Manager.
- Collate and prepare shareholder queries for onward transmission to the registrars.
- Obtain information from departments for briefing external lawyers, where necessary and assist in collating Legal Reports, Documents/Correspondence on Litigations.
- Conduct investigations on competition and new legislations affecting the Manufacturing sector and provide report.
- Ensure that Company Quarry lease approvals are renewed and provide monthly report on status of mining leases.
- Monitor Company property matters provide monthly reports on Company land and property matters, including status of title.
- Conduct legal research to enhance company compliance with international regulations and collate quarterly reports.
- Monitor environmental and commercial legislation affecting the Company.
- Conduct regular visits to the Plants and other company locations such as the depots to identify areas of legal risk.
- Update licences/permits
Duties & Responsibilities
Assist in managing and coordinating the affairs of Legal Department within the BU to enhance quick and efficient Litigation management, contracts administration, prompt legal/returns reporting and proper record keeping.
Essential & Desirable Skills
- Handle as many legal issues as possible internally to reduce cost of paying external lawyers.
- Keep accurate files and ensure all issues are properly documented.
- Maintain a Law library that is up to date and aid legal research effectively
- Ensure up to date blue print reporting.
- Monitor litigation adequately to avoid unnecessary lacunae to save cost.
- Make prompt returns to regulatory Bodies e.g C.A.C, N.S.E, S.E.C, N.OT.A.P e.t.c.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here