Created in 1833, Lafarge group, headquartered in France, is the world leader in building materials, with top-ranking positions in three of its activities: No 1 worldwide in Cement, No 2 worldwide in Aggregates & Concrete, and No 3 worldwide in Gypsum.
Located in 62 countries with 64,000 employees, Lafarge is a world leader in building materials, with top-ranking positions in its Cement, Aggregates & Concrete businesses. In 2013, Lafarge posted sales of 15.1 billion euros.
Business Unit: WAPCO Operations
Job Type: Permanent
- Provides assistance in preparing, drafting and vetting all agreements.
- Conduct legal research to assist legal manager in rendering accurate legal opinion and high standard of commercial practice
- Render returns at CAC.
- Organise the Legal Library, update and keep record of books.
- Update the filing system and properly serialize all documents. Assist legal manager in proper documentation/ record keeping of all matters.
- Make data entries required for updating Group legal reporting tool – Blue print in line with laid down procedure and after clarification from legal manager.
- Update list of contracts, guarantees, indemnities and security documents, titles, leases, licenses etc. and ensure proper records are obtained and kept.
- Update list of litigation- cases database regularly and provide monthly reports on cases and law firm handling it. Assist in general litigation administration.
- Assist in collation and binding of Board Papers. Dispatch and issuance of notices for meetings. Raise all allowances and requisitions for Directors.
- Maintain list and addresses of Directors, Audit Committee, Shareholders’ Association and prepare allowances and entitlements due to same.
- Monitor and attend cases at court pre-trial and trial stages and provide report on suitability of law firm handling the matter.
- Conduct investigations internal and external to outline legal issues affecting the Company and proffer solutions.
- Assist head office, Sagamu works and Ewekoro works in handling accident and criminal matters, including actual court appearances.
- Maintain House Ownership scheme records.
- Receive claims from Plants and Head office and report to the Legal Manager.
- Collate and prepare shareholder queries for onward transmission to the registrars.
- Obtain information from departments for briefing external lawyers, where necessary and assist in collating Legal Reports, Documents/Correspondence on Litigations.
- Conduct investigations on competition and new legislations affecting the Manufacturing sector and provide report.
- Ensure that Company Quarry lease approvals are renewed and provide monthly report on status of mining leases.
- Monitor Company property matters provide monthly reports on Company land and property matters, including status of title.
- Conduct legal research to enhance company compliance with international regulations and collate quarterly reports.
- Monitor environmental and commercial legislation affecting the Company.
- Conduct regular visits to the Plants and other company locations such as the depots to identify areas of legal risk.
- Update licences/permits
Duties & Responsibilities
Assist in managing and coordinating the affairs of Legal Department within the BU to enhance quick and efficient Litigation management, contracts administration, prompt legal/returns reporting and proper record keeping.
Essential & Desirable Skills
- Handle as many legal issues as possible internally to reduce cost of paying external lawyers.
- Keep accurate files and ensure all issues are properly documented.
- Maintain a Law library that is up to date and aid legal research effectively
- Ensure up to date blue print reporting.
- Monitor litigation adequately to avoid unnecessary lacunae to save cost.
- Make prompt returns to regulatory Bodies e.g C.A.C, N.S.E, S.E.C, N.OT.A.P e.t.c.
Method of Application
To apply for this position, click here
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale