If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 60 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS.
UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Accountable for developing, managing, co-ordinating, networking, implementing and monitoring an advocacy and communication strategy and associated products and activities on on-going basis with public audiences, with the objective of promoting awareness, understanding, support and respect for children's and women's rights, and support for UNICEF's mission, priorities and programmes in the Nigeria Country Office/media hub, and at a global level and those of the UN Country Team. Oversee the local private fundraising and partnership activities in support of the country programme.
Key Expected Results
- Communication strategy: The Nigeria Country Office or Media Hub has a clear communication strategy and associated work plan to get children's issues into the public domain, strengthen political will in support of UNICEF's mission and objectives, and enhance the organization's credibility and brand.
- Media relations: The Country Office or Media Hub has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of journalists and media outlets covering all media - print, TV, radio, web, photo etc. - and a successful process of communicating and maintaining regular contact and close collaboration with the media to communicate the story of UNICEF's cooperation.
- Networking and partnerships: The Country Office or Media Hub has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of individuals, groups, organizations and fora whose support is essential to/can assist in achieving the advocacy and communication objectives. Effective working relationships with the UN Country Team and UN communication counterparts are developed, maintained and enhanced.
- Celebrities and special events: The Country Office or Media Hub has a well maintained and continually developed contact list of appropriate, nationally-known personalities who have been identified, engaged and support UNICEF's effort and who actively participate in special events and activities.
- Global priorities and campaigns: The Country Office or Media Hub has an effective process in place for integrating and taking action on UNICEF's global communications priorities, campaigns and partnerships, disseminating these elements in a locally-appropriate way.
- Resource mobilization support; Global and country level fund-raising activities are supported by effective advocacy and communication strategy and activities.
- Management: Human resources (the communication team) and financial resources (budget planning, management and monitoring) are both effectively managed and optimally used.
- Monitoring and evaluation: Communication baselines are established against which the achievement of objectives of the communication strategy are regularly evaluated; analysis is undertaken to continuously improve the effectiveness of communication strategy and activities; results and reports are prepared and shared.
- Capacity building and support: The Representative and the country programme team are provided with professional expertise and advice on all aspects of external relations communication as required.
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in Communication, Journalism, Public Relations.*
- Eight years of progressively responsible relevant work experience in communication, print, broadcast, and/or new media.
- International and national work experience.
- Background/familiarity with Emergency situations.
- Fluency in English and another UN language. Knowledge of the local working language of the duty station is an asset.
- *A first level university degree with a relevant combination of academic qualifications and experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Has highest-level communication skills, including engaging and informative formal public speaking.
- Able to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
- Sets high standards for quality of work and consistently achieves project goals.
- Has good leadership and supervisory skills; co-ordinates group activities, ensuring that roles within the team are clear.
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups; maintains an effective network of individuals across organizational departments.
- Translates strategic direction into plans and objectives.
- Negotiates effectively by exploring a range of possibilities.
- Demonstrates and shares detailed technical knowledge and expertise.
- Seeks and proposes opportunities for advancing UNICEF's mission..
Method of Application
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
If you want a challenging career while improving the lives of children around the world UNICEF, the leading children’s rights organization, would like to hear from you.
Visit us at www.unicef.org/about/employ to register in our new e-Recruitment system and apply to this and other vacancies. Applications must be received by 10-Dec-14
Vacancy position link: https://careers.unicef.org/sap/bc/webdynpro/sap/hrrcf_a_posting_apply?PARAM=cG9zdF9pbnN0X2d1aWQ9NTQ2MzFFMTY3RjI3NTVFREUxMDAwMDAwOUU3MTBGMEYmY2FuZF90eXBlPUVYVA%3d%3d&sap-client=100&sap-language=EN&sap-accessibility=X
Please note that only candidates who are under serious consideration will be contacted.
In the selection of its staff, UNICEF is committed to gender balance and diversity without distinction as to race, sex or religion, and without discrimination of persons with disabilities: well qualified candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.