The Consultant will report to: Program Manager, UAS-LCB
The Consultant will work closely with: Deputy Program Manager and Program Officer
The UAS-LCB program seeks to:
- Strengthen the capacity of radio partners to engage in ethical and conflict-sensitive journalism practices in a way that generates accurate, transformative, and sustainable radio programming on themes of reintegration and reconciliation
- Strengthen community awareness and understanding of dynamics, developments, and options around reintegration and reconciliation
- Promote opportunities for communities to provide feedback on reintegration and reconciliation that creates greater ownership, participation and sustainable implementation of policies and practices
- Promote localized narratives of peace coexistence aimed at establishing a foundation for effective reintegration and reconciliation
As part of Objective 1, Mercy Corps is seeking to build the capacity of local radio partner Dandal Kura Radio International to conduct the foundational production stages for radio programming with a high degree of quality. Trainings could include the following topics, as well as and others to be identified through a pre-training needs assessment:
- Developing program topics
- Formative research on audiences
- Selecting program formats
- On-air presentation skills
- Creating a running order
- Interviewing skills
- Scripting programs
- Editing skills
- Formative research on content
- Sound design and balancing
- Identifying guests
- Managing call-in segments
- Mapping sources
- Managing non-web-based interactivity (VoxPop, Roving Reporting, etc.)
- Formative research on guests
- Managing web-based interactivity (Facebook, YouTube, WhatsApp, etc.)
- Mercy Corps expects that these trainings will result in Dandal Kura being able to practically apply the necessary skills for radio production in order to independently manage all stages, and thereby improve their ability to deliver quality peacebuilding programming.
Deliverables and Timeframe:
- Training Agenda
- Training Materials (i.e. PowerPoints, handouts)
- Training Assessment Tools (i.e. pre- and post-tests)
- Three (3) three-day Production Stages Trainings
- Training Report
- Mentorship Report
- Deadlines to be confirmed upon contracting.
Total Estimated Level of Effort:
Required Experience & Skills
The ideal consultant will have the following experience and skills:
- 8+ years of experience in radio journalism, especially in development radio
- Demonstrated technical expertise in radio production stages, including formative research, scripting, guest engagement, interviewing and presentation skills, post-production, and management of audience interactivity
- Established expertise designing and facilitating trainings for INGOs, utilizing participatory learning methodologies
- Advanced Degree in Journalism, Communications, Social Sciences, or other related field
- English and Hausa fluency required
- Knowledge of the northeast Nigerian context preferred
go to method of application »
- The Northeast Conflict Management and Stabilization (NE-CMS) Program is funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID) to improve security and reduce support for violence in Borno State in Northeast Nigeria. Following two previous phases of the program starting in August 2016, the NE-CMS program entered Phase III in August 2019 for an additional two-year implementation period, which is expected to result in:
- Citizens are more civically engaged, and civilian government are more transparent and inclusive in addressing community needs around service delivery
- Communities demonstrate improved trust and social cohesion within and between actors at the local level
- Local decision-making spaces and peacebuilding processes are equitable and inclusive of marginalized social groups, especially youth and women.
- The consortium aims to achieve these outcomes through a range of activities: engaging government in capacity building and mentorship, supporting traditional leaders and communities to conduct advocacy and accountability activities; encouraging dialogue and psychological trauma healing among diverse stakeholders to generate trusting relationships, nurture reconciliation, and mitigate potential future crises; and establishing parallel safe spaces for women and youth to ensure that they can effectively contribute to peacebuilding. NE-CMS operates in five targets LGAs, namely: Maiduguri Municipal Council (MMC), Jere, Dikwa, Dambo, Gwoza. A key output expected of Outcome one of NE-CMS as stated above is Capacity Building for Participatory Governance. This assessment will contribute significantly to delivering on this output, hence the actualization of Outcome 1 of the NE-CMS program.
The overall objective of this assignment is to:
- Explore the role of Local Government Councils (LGCs) representing the five target LGAs, their relationships with state-level MDAs, and how policy and planning processes move through these channels.
- Understand the capacity of the LGCs representing the five target LGAs to deliver services to local communities, by identifying gaps, interests, and needs that could improve their capacity in the future.
- Identify available key resource(s) within target LGCs as well as strategies for strengthening their institutional capacity, for the promotion and realization of the goals of NE-CMS in Borno State.
The specific objectives of this consulting assignment are to:
- Identify key civil society, government and private sector stakeholders within the five focal LGAs that impact on participatory governance efforts positively and negatively;
- Examine the different interventions being implemented by the LGCs and relevant MDAs and how the actual implementation happens in terms of the participation of community members and LGC officials;
- Assess the strengths, weaknesses and capacity-building needs of LGCs; relevant MDAs in the five LGAs and quasi-governmental organizations that are current and potential partners of the NE-CMS Program;
- Develop organizational profiles and performance assessments that will guide the selection and design of the government capacity building component of the NE-CMS Program
- Develop capacity building plans in collaboration with assessed organizations to support the capacity building activities to bridge identified gaps.
To achieve the above objectives, the consultant will perform the following tasks:
Develop tool for government CNA covering nine core domains, with a view to assessing strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats in participatory governance. The domains include:
- Governance and Leadership
- Finance Operations and Administration
- Resource Mobilization
- Human Resource Management
- Program Management
- Monitoring, Evaluation, Reporting, and Knowledge Management
- Networking, Alliance Building, Coordination and Collaboration
Service Delivery and Quality Assurance:
- Conduct the assessment with relevant agencies, including feedback from other INGOs who are closely engaging with LGCs and/or providing technical assistance.
- Conduct a 1-day capacity building plan development workshop with the assessed organizations.
- Develop a report, including clear programmatic recommendations for NE-CMS intervention
Develop tool for stakeholder analysis, tailored to elicit the following but not limited to:
- Background of0 agencies;
- Vision, mission, goals and objectives of each agency;
- The specific projects that the government is implementing in each of the 5 target LGAs, including the nature of the project, target beneficiaries, budget, etc.
- Source of financial support;
- Status of implementation; accomplishments; gaps and issues in implementation, and lessons learnt;
- Relationships with other MDAs, including challenges and gaps that impede service delivery
Conduct the mapping and analysis exercise, with analysis focusing on the following key elements:
- Adaptive management
- Social mobilization
- Institutionalization and sustainability
Develop a report, including recommendations on:
- Strategic interventions and role of NE-CMS, INGOs, and Government to complement and support existing initiatives;
- Relevant pathways for effective citizen advocacy and community engagement for meaningful participatory governance
- The Stakeholder analysis and CNA process will be participatory and conducted through a triangulated approach combining
- Review of background documents (desk review),
- Interviews with key agency personnel and other relevant organizations
- Onsite organizational systems review.
- Any other creative methodology deemed appropriate by consultant for achieving task objectives is recommended. The assessment tools will be simplified such that it can either be self-administered or a designated facilitator can lead the process.
Skills and Experience Required of the Consultant
The consultant is expected to have the following skills and qualifications:
- Advanced Degrees in Economics, Development Studies, Social Sciences or related discipline;
- A minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in conducting organizational/government capacity needs assessments, experience with self-assessment processes will be an advantage;
- At least 5 years of experience working in organizational development, capacity building in the specified area;
- An understanding of the socio-political and economic context of Borno State;
- Excellent writing and communication skills in English/
- Ability to speak Hausa; Kanuri language ability will be an added advantage;
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate and work well with diverse people.
- Be resident in Maiduguri, Borno State
The Consultant will report to:
The Consultant will work closely with:
- Governance and Advocacy Coordinator, NE-CMS
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application package to: firstname.lastname@example.org The title/subject of your email and application should be the position you are applying for.
Submission of Applications
The candidate MUST include in the application package:
- CV, detailing previous training experience and highlighting training related to conflict-sensitive journalism
- Cover letter describing 3 previous training experiences related to the relevant themes; please also include the expected daily consultancy rate and availability/total delivery time.
- Sample training agenda
Note: Failure to include any of this requirement will lead to disqualification.
Do you want to study at University Of Sussex, England? Reserve your place for 2021 intakes Learn More