Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps, an international humanitarian NGO and has been operating in Nigeria since 2012 and is looking for a Senior Procurement Officer to be based in Abuja, to support the implementation of a rapid COVID response program through Mercy Corps’ USAID Feed the Future-funded Rural Resilience Activity. The rapid response program will support vulnerable populations and livelihoods through Cash for Work and strengthen supply chains through smart Cash Subsidies.
General Position Summary
- The Senior Procurement Officer is responsible for overseeing the procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ logistic operation.
- Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics the Senior Procurement Officer is instrumental in supporting program activities through his/her services.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- The Senior Procurement Officer will conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission.
- Coordinate daily MCN procurement activities.
- Ensure that the procurement department supports the programs efficiently and compliantly.
- Understand MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to staff on these policies.
- Assist Program and Operational personnel in regular procurement planning meetings.
- Assist staff as needed on timely completion of purchase requests and other documentation.
- Interact with contractors, in coordination with the Program & Operation Managers.
- Ensure that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to MC standards.
- Prepare of status reports on deliveries for P&L and office Management and recipient of supplies.
- Coordinate with the Warehouse on delivery of items including completion of Goods Received Notes, storage of items and transfer of items to field sites.
- Regularly produce purchase status and completed purchases reports using the Ongoing PR Master List and PR Master List.
- Ensure that Mercy Corps’ procurement activities are legal and moral.
- Enforce proper use of procurement ceilings and approval procedures.
- Carryout the procurement of goods, works and services for all the PRs above USD $20,000 – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Carryout the procurement of national consultants services (all values) – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Oversee the establishment of various Master Agreements (MPAs and MSAs) for commonly used items – as per Mercy Corps standards and formats.
- Assist in the maintenance of thorough procurement files. Ensure that the procurement filing system is in place and in accordance with the Procurement filing procedures as outlined in the FP3.
- Assist the P&L management and office staff with procurement activities, as required.
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to ensure that payments to vendors are made on-time and without any unnecessary strain on the financial systems of MC
- Assist P&L Management with asset management. Identify assets during the course of procurement and notify the Asset Controller on receipts of assets.
- Maintain file on market prices for commonly-bought items.
- Perform any other reasonable duties that deem necessary as assigned by the supervisor
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Supervise, hire and orient new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem-solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
- Directly supervises the Procurement Assistant and Procurement Intern
- Accountable for following Mercy Corps Field Procurement Policies and Procedures (FP3), the MC Code of conduct regarding procurement activities and MC Conflict of Interest policy.
Works Directly With
- Operations Team, Finance Team, Co-ordinates with Mercy Corps program and operations staff regarding procurement planning and activities
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in a relevant business field is desired. 2-3 years of experience in large scale supply chain management and/ or international business.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel. Excellent oral and written English skills.
- High level of computer skills on MS Office programs.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Certification in procurement/supply chain management is an advantage
- Knowledge of Sphere standards and other training in humanitarian response preferred.
- The Senior Procurement Officer is conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment. S/he has the ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks and a willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people. They have the ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel.
Innovative: Consistently introduces new ideas and demonstrates original thinking
Functional Expert: Considered a thought leader on a subject
Dedicated: Devoted to a task or purpose with loyalty or integrity
Detail Oriented: Capable of carrying out a given task with all details necessary to get the task done well
Ability to Make an Impact: Inspired to perform well by the ability to contribute to the success of a project or the organization
Bachelors or better.
Masters or better.