ICAP at Columbia University is seeking an experienced and qualified expert to fill the role of Senior Technical Advisor - Epidemiologist for ICAP’s CDC-funded project, Global Fund Covid-19 RM.
The Epidemiologist (Senior Technical Advisor), working under the supervision of the ICAP Special Projects Lead and the National Case Management Team Lead at the FMoH, will coordinate systems that will develop, analyze, and review a comprehensive database of all Covid 19 cases and mortality across the country as well as clinical mortality audit of all COVID-19 deaths in Nigeria.
He/She will facilitate the design of SOPs, protocols, and guidance factsheets on case management data reporting directly into SORMAS from health facilities.
The position is based in Abuja, Nigeria.
- Provide technical assistance to FMoH to design or update the existing SOPs, protocols, and guidance factsheets on the report of case management data directly into SORMAS from health facilities
- Design a training curriculum for case management data reporting systems from health facilities straight into SORMAS
- Provide technical support to design an SOP on the conduct of a clinical mortality audit of Covid-19 cases across health facilities
- Support the update of a comprehensive database and data of all COVID-19 cases and deaths,
- Review and update existing adverse events following immunization (AEFI) surveillance and reporting tools and provide technical support on the development or updating of the AEFI data repository to inform cohort studies and the dynamics of management and care
- In collaboration with the FMoH and CDC, develops and conducts activities to strengthen the capacity to design and implement epidemiologic studies as well as analyze, disseminate, and effectively use data from these studies to formulate programs and policies
- Leads and/or assists in the generation and presentation of project reports, publications, and presentations
- Perform other related tasks that may be assigned
Advanced degree in public health, with a specialization in epidemiology, MBBS degree from an accredited university
EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, AND MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Proven experience with analytical and epidemiological skills and preferably some experience in geospatial analyses and cost analyses and strategies for capacity-building at national and sub-national levels
- Minimum of 5 years of experience working on international public health projects either in the headquarters of an international organization or in resource-limited settings in the field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in conducting surveillance and survey projects
- Ability to analyze issues, draw valid conclusions, and make recommendations; to prepare and present comprehensive statistical and narrative reports; to conduct effective presentations
- Strong knowledge of statistical and database software, including SAS and MS Access, preferred
- Fluent English oral and written communication skills
- Previous experience in Sub-Saharan Africa
Travel within Nigeria conducting capacity building, stakeholder relationship management and Project activities.