The Edo Museum of West African Art (EMOWAA) is launching its Digital Heritage Lab: a series of projects aimed at leveraging the power of technology for the study and management of our heritage. Through an exciting array of projects, EMOWAA will deploy cutting edge technology in Nigeria for high-end data gathering, analysis and presentation. The purpose is...
Read more about this company
We are looking for a team of Digital Heritage Specialists who will play a key role in the Lab and the wider work of our programmes. The Digital Heritage Specialist will work at the intersection of culture and technology, focused on the application of technology in the study, preservation, engagement and dissemination of West African heritage. You will report to the Head of Collections and work closely with the Head of Archaeology and Heritage Management.
You will have excellent practical skills in one or more areas of applied digital technology (see details below), strong attention to detail, proven track-record of managing projects, and the ability to work as a team. This role will involve frequent travel for trainings, presentations, and the execution of projects throughout Nigeria and abroad.
Digital Content Development
- Record high-quality 2D and 3D digital imagery of heritage items, including documents, objects, buildings and landscapes
- Prcess and refine digitized content for EMOWAA’s on-going studies and public viewing
- Develop prototypes and reconstructions of digitized works for research, educational and display purposes, including 3D printing, plaster, virtual reality and augmented reality models
- Support the scoping, design and development of EMOWAA’s virtual collection, digital mapping facility and e-learning projects
Research & Archive Management
- Ensure appropriate labeling of all digitized content in line with international metadata standards and EMOWAA’s archive(s)
- Manage and ensure timely updates to EMOWAA’s digital catalogue and other internal data management filing systems, adhering to our strict data security protocols
- Contribute to background research (including field exercises) in line with key research questions set out on related projects
- Draft of progress reports for internal circulation and contribute to donor/partner reporting
Platform Development & Engagement
- Contribute to the design and implementation of EMOWAA’s digital platforms and products
- Produce project write ups and content for events and publications, working closely with the Head of Communications and Education & Outreach Coordinator
- Provide recommendations for EMOWAA’s digital infrastructure regularly interfacing with the IT & Data Management Specialist
- Support data analytics of stakeholder mapping and trends on the interest/use of digital technologies with target groups to inform EMOWAA’s initiatives
- Attend training programmes in Nigeria and abroad, including on digital scanning, modelling, curation and archive management
- Run and present at workshops, meetings and other outreach activities
- Support the design and delivery of sector-wide capacity building programmes, including with early career practitioners, students and volunteers
Experience & Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in any field
- 3 years’ experience in an applied field (e.g. graphic design, animation, 3D modeling, photography and/or software design) – OR subject area (e.g. history, archaeology, cultural studies, environmental studies, education)
- Interest or experience in the application of digital technologies in the cultural and creative sector
- Ability to learn quickly and work independently
- Collaborative approach and ability to contribute to across different projects effectively
- Proficiency in MS Suite
- Proficiency in Adobe Suite, ArcGIS, AutoCAD, Maya, Corel Draw (desired)
- English fluency (required)
Career Growth & Development:
EMOWAA has a strong culture of constant learning and invests in developing people. This post will cover a diverse range of trainings in related technological and management field, led by global experts and institutions across EMOWAA’s wide network of partners and affiliates.
By joining EMOWAA team, you’ll have an opportunity to shape a growing organization, work on groundbreaking initiatives and build a rewarding long-term career. It is expected that within 2 years the Digital Heritage Specialist will grow from supervised executor to an independent lead on at least one major digitization projects run by EMOWAA’s Pavilion.
Terms and Conditions:
- Contract type: Full-time employment
- Reporting Line: Head of Digital & Technology
- Duty Station: Benin, Lagos
- Compensation & Benefits: Competitive, subject to credentials
- Start Date: 1 September 2022, subject to 6-month probation period
Interested and qualified candidates should forward their CV to: careers@EMOWAA.com using the position as subject of email.
Please submit a 1-page cover letter Please include the title of the role of interest in the subject line of your email.