Job Code: 7276
Locations: Remote and Bauchi, Nigeria with possible travel to core states (Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Ebonyi, Gombe, Sokoto), and other locations (e.g., Abuja) as needed
Reports to: The Chief of Party
Period of Performance: o/a September 12 - September 30, 2022 remote o/a October 1 - December 18, 2022 in Nigeria
Level of Effort (LOE): Estimated 70 working days (plus international travel)
- The purpose of the five-year (2020-2025) “State Accountability, Transparency and Effectiveness” (“State2State”) Activity is to increase the accountability, transparency, and effectiveness of governance in selected state and local governments (LGAs) in Nigeria.
- From the project main office in Bauchi, State2State is currently working in the following six core states, along with a small project component at the national/federal level: Adamawa, Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Ebonyi, Gombe and Sokoto.
- State2State’s overall purpose will be achieved by supporting three mutually supportive development objectives:
- Strengthening public financial management systems that include public procurement, and how these systems relate to better delivery of services in three key sectors, namely basic education, primary health care, and water, sanitation, and hygiene (WASH).
- Increasing government responsiveness to citizen needs and priorities.
- Improving government and civil society capacity to manage conflict (through work on prevention, mitigation, and reconciliation with the earlier mentioned three sectoral partners, not stand-alone assistance to the police or judiciary).
- State2State will strengthen subnational governance systems in a sustainable manner, supporting the efforts of local reformers and building on locally derived solutions including, to the extent possible, good practices and reforms that are already working well in other parts of Nigeria.
- The PFM Advisor will have a primary technical leadership role along with a secondary role of activity coordination of PFM Specialists, Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) Specialist, and STTA PFM/IGR consultants, across core states.
- Instrumental to successful coordination will be the facilitation of timely and quality communication ensuring staff properly plans for and is responsive to the State2State contract.
- All PFM work must explicitly address intermediate and sub-intermediate results and specific performance indicators per the annual workplan and monitoring, evaluation and learning (MEL) plan.
- The PFM Advisor will travel to state offices and expansion states (TBC with USAID) to engage with stakeholders and State2State teams, working closely with state government structures through which technical assistance is closely coordinated.
Working together with the state-based teams and main office technical staff, the PFM Advisor will provide technical leadership to PFM technical assistance provided to beneficiary states, and this support will include new perspectives and approaches that are aligned with good practices and cross-cutting lenses such as gender, equity, and social inclusion (GESI), and conflict management. Ongoing and prospective areas of technical assistance that will be led, managed, or overseen by the PFM Advisor include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Mentoring team members and working with project beneficiary states and partners to update or complete participatory and bottom-up initiatives in policy and planning such as State Development Plans (SDP), Medium-Term Expenditure Frameworks (MTEFs) and Medium-Term Sector Strategies (MTSS).
- Supporting the development and execution of states’ annual procurement plans that promote greater transparency, reduce risk, and support efficient service delivery.
- Facilitating capacity building in PFM areas such as internal auditing and development of resources such as training manuals.
- Helping to design, develop, and implement strategies for greater internally generated revenue (IGR), and public-private partnerships.
- Working in tandem with and managing, as appropriate, technical staff and short-term technical assistance in support of PFM activities.
- PFM technical review and feedback for State Development Plans.
- PFM technical review and feedback for Internally Generated Revenue (IGR) Expansion Strategies and associated IGR ‘Blueprint’ for mapping roles/responsibilities required to improve IGR at the state level.
- Other duties of a reasonable nature as assigned by the Chief of Party.
- Short technical report that assesses S2S technical assistance for PFM initiatives and recommendations for scaling-up activities.
- State Annual Procurement Plans
- Detailed PFM Unit Quarterly Workplan through December 2022 for core and expansion (TBC) states.
- A ‘living document’ reflective of ongoing Y2 activities and proposed Y3 activities to ensure proper communication, coordination, planning and implementation among all PFM Unit staff, STTAs, et al.
- International STTA report (template to be provided by State2State project).
- Bachelor's Degree in a relevant field such as Economics, Political Science, Social Sciences, Law, Finance/Accounting, and Development Studies. Master’s is preferred.
- Ten (10) years of experience in PFM activities, with previous experience in the successful implementation of international development activities.
- Strong leadership skills with demonstrated experience managing teams.
- Experience with USAID programs is highly preferred.
- Previous experience working in Nigeria is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.