eHealth Africa designs and implements data-driven solutions and technologies to improve health systems for and with local communities. eHA’s technology works in low connectivity settings, and smartly uses data to drive decision-making by local governments and partner agencies to get optimum results.
We leverage our staff and department expertise across five programmatic areas:
- Health Delivery Systems
- Public Health Emergency Management Systems
- Disease Surveillance Systems
- Laboratory & Diagnostic Systems
- Nutrition & Food Security Systems
In each of these programmatic areas, we partner with governments, communities, nonprofits and other stakeholders to generate holistic solutions, because we believe that every community deserves access to the types of tools that can enable them to lead healthier lives.
Purpose of the position
The Chief Accountant performs daily accounting activities as well as additional analytical responsibilities that may include support of the management team in a variety of operational decisions that have a financial impact. S/he conducts a timely and accurate close of ledgers and facilitates the preparation of the organization financial statements. S/he engages in financial analysis in such areas as cost reduction analysis and reviewing operational performance. The Chief Accountant will report to the Snr. Manager, Global Controller.
What you’ll do
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned:
- Manages the organization’s on-site daily accounting records.
- Validates accounting entries to the general ledger and bank reconciliation and creates recurring journal entries.
- Ensures all accounting entries are accurate and supported by appropriate documentation.
- Prepares monthly account reconciliations in support of the financial statements.
- Assists with the preparation and administration of the financial audit and preparation of tax return work papers.
- Ensures timely close of monthly ledgers and company books.
- Engages in ongoing cost reduction analyses in all areas of the organization.
- Interprets the company's financial results to management and recommends improvement activities.
- Performs any other duties assigned by Management.
- May frequently travel between company worksites.
- Presents a professional demeanor at all times. Approaches others in a tactful manner.
- Reacts well under pressure. Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position.
- Accepts responsibility for own actions. Follows through on commitments.
- Is consistently at work and on time.
- Participates in and promotes a positive, supportive, cooperative team environment.
- Attends and participates in staff meetings, training classes and supervision.
- Adheres to Policies and Procedures.
- Adheres to eHealth Africa Code of Conduct as well as ethical standards of the field.
Who you are
- Bachelor’s degree from college or university in Finance and Accounting or any other related field. Master’s degree is a plus.
- 5-8 years professional accounting/finance experience preferably with a non-profit, non-governmental organization (NGO), or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of and experience with financial systems software.
- A proven track record of achievement in the areas of finance and accounting as well as a mastery of spreadsheets.
- Must understand accounts payable, receivables and be able to work effectively and efficiently in the organization’s accounting system.
- Must understand accounting terminology and have worked with budgets, forecasts and variance reporting.
- Good knowledge of financial management and accounting and budget holding principles. Excellent communication skills and an ability to work independently and comfortable coordinating multi-country staff.
- Organizational skills and great attention to detail. Must be able to work as a leader and member of a team and possess good problem solving skills.
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, multi-task and work independently.
- Must have the ability to manage conflicts and resolve problems effectively.
- Good learning ability. Action oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate, but can become louder at times due to group discussions or activities. eHA is a tobacco-free environment.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk. The employee is frequently required to sit and use a computer and reach with their hands and arms.
We believe strongly in our mission and our core values, and our teams are most successful when they do also.
IMPACT & QUALITY: We work on solving big problems. We believe in the power of technology to make a transformational difference in health systems, and we know that when we do high-quality work, we have the opportunity to change lives in the communities we impact.
INNOVATIVE PROBLEM-SOLVING: We maintain a worldview driven by possibilities, not limitations. We build smart systems that will sustain beyond our tenures. We challenge prevailing assumptions, respect the urgency of the environments we operate in, and take smart risks to search for the best solution.
PASSION: We care intensely about what we do, and about whom we do it with. We inspire others with our tenacity and commitment to our communities and each other.
HONESTY: We are honest with our communities, our partners, our donors, and ourselves. We communicate with candor, respect, and humility. We are quick to admit our own mistakes, and work to correct them with openness & expediency.
GROWTH & LEARNING: We embrace curiosity. We pursue and promote continuous learning, share our skills and knowledge, and actively work to make ourselves and those around us better.
OWNERSHIP: We work to become part of the fabric of the communities in which we work. We value our seat at the table, and invest in the places we call home.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.