Street Child is a UK charity working to protect vulnerable children and improve access to education in some of the poorest communities in the world. We work in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal and in the last few months Street Child has been involved in the Humanitarian response for Nigeria as well as, being partner of the Education in Emergency Working Group.
Child Protection Specialist Consultant
Location: Maiduguri with frequent travel to Adamawa, Yobe
Starting from: 1st December 2017
Duration: 1 month
- Street Child is a UK charity working to protect vulnerable children and improve access to education in some of the poorest communities in the world. We work in Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal and since November 2016, Street Child has been involved in the Humanitarian response in North East Nigeria.
- Street Child works in the fields of education, child protection and livelihoods, working to deliver sustainable solutions and create maximum impact.
- Our work combines counselling, family mediation, business support, school building, teacher training and child protection. We were a key player in the Ebola crisis and led the global response for children orphaned by Ebola in Sierra Leone and Liberia. We deliver all our programmes through local partners and, since 2008, together we have built/renovated over 200 schools and are now helping to educate over 40,000 young people.
- Street Child is looking for a dedicated Child Protection Consultant for our new ‘Right to Care’ child protection programme in North East Nigeria, in partnership with five national NGOs. The planned programme will include provision of psychosocial support to children in need, case management for children at risk, family tracing and reunification and livelihoods support for the most vulnerable caregivers.
- Unaccompanied and Separated Children (UASC), children associated with armed forces or armed groups (CAAFAG), and children at risk will be prioritised for emergency care, psychosocial support and targeted family tracing and reunification (FTR). Working side by side with local partners, this programme will explicitly aim to develop national NGO capacity through coaching and training. The programme will be integrated with Street Child’s existing Education in Emergencies programme ‘Right to Learn’ and will require extensive collaboration with that project.
- The main responsibility of the Child Protection Specialist Consultant will be to support the preparation phase of the programme and strategize the approach and the activities, providing technical guidance to staff involved. The ideal candidate will have strong technical skills and experience in child protection in the humanitarian context. Analytical thinking and the capacity to research innovative intervention methods, as well as creativity and flexibility are also expected.
Provide technical input into programme design by researching, identifying and disseminating best practice and innovations in child protection that can be applied in the NE Nigeria context, specifically:
- Psychosocial support
- Case management
- Family tracing and reunification
- Providing technical input into programme inception phase including programme work plan, target setting, detailed budget and monitoring framework, as well as the development of specific monitoring tools;
- Train Street Child Nigeria and partner staff in relevant child protection tools and approaches for successful implementation of the programme;
- Build capacity within Street Child Nigeria and with national partners by coaching and mentoring staff in child protection;
- Support the institutionalisation of best practice by contributing to the development of policies and procedures
- Commitment to Street Child mission, vision and values, and the ability to convey with enthusiasm Street Child’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and in advocating for their right to protection and a life in dignity;
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information;
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
- Willingness to work in flexible, sub-optimal, stressful and unstable environment.
Qualification and Experience
- Master Degree in Social Science, Human Rights or equivalent.
- A minimum of 10 years [ML1] of professional experience in humanitarian planning and management in child protection, peacebuilding, justice and/other related areas at the international level with minimum 2 years served in a humanitarian context is required.
- At least 2-year experience in a major INGO/UN agency with specialism in Child Protection
- Experience in both development and humanitarian contexts is an added advantage.
- I would have said 10 years development / humanitarian / child protection experience
- With at least 2 years implementation of child protection prog in humanitarian context
- And at least 2 years experience in a major INGO / UN agency with specialism in CP.
Terms and Conditions
- Contract is for one (1) month.
Method of Application
Applicants should send their Curriculum Vitae (CV) in English including three (3) professional references with their contact information, phone and email address, A cover letter describing the candidate's desire and motivation to work for Street Child and how your qualifications and experience are a good fit for this position to: email@example.com with the subject "Application for Child Protection Specialist Consultant"
Note: Only short listed candidates will be contacted. Interviews will be offered before as applications are received.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale