Save the Children is the leading independent organization for children in need, with programs in over 120 countries, including the United States. We aim to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children, and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives by improving their health, education and economic opportunities. In times of acute crisis, we mobilize rapid assistance to help children recover from the effects of war, conflict and natural disasters. Each year, we and our partners reach millions of children in communities around the world. Join our dedicated and diverse staff in their work to improve the well-being of children everywhere.
LGA Officer - EU
Job ID: 190003MK
Location: Damaturu, Yobe
Employee Status: Fixed Term
Contract length: December 2021
Reports to: Programme Manager
- Save the Children is the leading independent organization creating lasting change in the lives of children in over 20 countries around the world. Recognized for our commitment to accountability, innovation and collaboration, our work takes us into the heart of communities, where we help children and families help themselves.
- The EU Support to Early Recovery from Conflict and Resilience Building Project in Yobe state is a three and half years EU supported project that aims to strengthen Yobe State Government and community capacity to build households and communities’ resilience to recurrent shocks (conflict and its negative effects). The project is expected to deliver results around various components including social protection, nutrition and health, food security and livelihoods, child protection, social cohesion and education in emergency. All of which have different targets that contribute to strengthening resilience at household, community and state level.
- The purpose of this role is to plan and manage the delivery of project activities for an EU Resilience programme at LGA level including targeting and enrolment of beneficiaries via community based structures, supporting the monitoring of beneficiary accountability mechanisms, post distribution monitoring and case management, nutrition behaviour change communications, advocacy and act as focal point for partnership with LGA authorities.
Scope of Role:
- Staff indirectly reporting to this post: Community Mobilization Assistant, Payment Assistant and Data Assistant
Key Accountabilities and Responsibilities
Reporting to Programme Manager, the LGA Officer will be accountable for in three main objectives and will be expected to perform the following duties:
Objective 1 - To plan and manage delivery of all project activities at LGA level:
- Oversee technical and administrative aspects of all LGA level EU Yobe Resilience activities
- Provide support to the preparation and implementation of annual project work plans
- Build required partnerships and collaborative relationships with government and other partners at LGA level
- Represent SCI and participate in LGA level coordination platforms
- Support LGA budget tracking and progress monitoring; and reporting ( including drafting of quarterly and annual reports, activity reports and other related communications) Identify problems in the implementation process and propose solutions
- Evaluate regularly the impact of the activities and propose changes for improvement
Objective 2 - Facilitate community mobilization activities to support targeting and enrolment of beneficiaries and improved nutrition education, attitudes and practices:
- Oversee the use and application of programme SoPs for the cash transfer component of the programme
- Support capacity building and awareness raising at community level
- Oversee and facilitate capacity building and training of LGA stakeholders to support effective cash transfer implementation
- Provide input and support the implementation of key cash transfer systems i.e. M&E, payments, grievance, targeting and MIS
- Provide support at LGA level to planning, roll-out, deployment of key programme components
- Support enhancement and integrate agreed recommendations, tools, guidelines into the various programme components
Objective 3 - Support the development, implementation and follow-up of beneficiary accountability mechanisms:
- Provide input and support the design and implementation of the beneficiary accountability mechanism
- Coordination activities at LGA level in relation to building the programme beneficiary accountability mechanism
- Support the review and assessment of prioritised components of the accountability mechanism
- Provide support to planning, roll-out, deployment and piloting of the beneficiary accountability mechanism
- Support enhancement and integrate agreed recommendations, tools, guidelines into the systems
Qualifications and Experience
- Minimum of 4 years' experience working in Social Protection, Project Management or development
- Experience in planning, managing and delivering a programme, including costing, managing and monitoring budgets
- Sound strategic thinking and planning skills, including ability to think creatively and innovate and to set priorities, manageable work plans and evaluate progress
- Previous experience with local and international NGOs
- Strong programme management background, including HR management
- Effective resource planning
- Computer literate
- Ability to build support from staff across teams and across members, and to build the capacity of others.
- Ability to work in partnership with government and other organizations’ staff
- Strong communications skills (both written and verbal) in English and Hausa
- Ability to speak local language (Hausa, Kare-kare, Kanuri Ngizim)
- Independence, adaptability and flexibility
- Commitment to team working and understanding of how to contribute
- Commitment to Save the Children mission, values and approach (includes child protection, equal opportunities, health, and safety).
- Experience working in the public sector will be an added advantage
- Ability and willingness to travel to remote projects sites and stay in basic conditions when necessary
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.