Location: Monguno (70%) and Maiduguri (30%)
Report to: ECHO Team Lead
Deadline: 25/09/2019 (interviews will be offered as applications are received)
Specification: Nigerian Nationals Only
Starting from: 1st October 2019
Contract duration: 1 year with 3-month probation
Street Child is looking for a dedicated Programme Officer for our integrated education and child protection project in Monguno, North East Nigeria. The project is an 18 month ECHO-funded project in partnership with UNICEF. The goal is to promote child development and wellbeing by promoting access to quality, equitable and safe education and by strengthening the system to respond and prevent to the child protection risks.
The Programme Officer will be required to support the Team Lead in Monguno on all aspect of project delivery. This includes implementation of project activities, reporting and partner monitoring. The person will be required to work flexibly and provide ad-hoc support to the Team Lead as necessary.
The ideal candidate would have experience in implementing projects in Education or Child Protection. Good communication and team-working skills are essential, and the candidate must also be able to work independently. Analytical thinking, problem-solving and flexibility are expected.
This position reports to the Team Lead
The position will be based in Monguno for 70% of the time, and in Maiduguri for the remaining 30%.
- Support the Team Lead and Programme Managers to deliver timely planned activities
- Monitor day-to-day activities to ensure best practice is adhered to in project implementation
- Work closely with implementing partners to ensure quality implementation and accurate reporting
- Support the Team Lead to identify and report problems with project implementation as they arise
Support the Team Lead in keeping the Programme Manager informed on activity progress, including through regular reports
- Support the Team Lead in identifying partner training/capacity building needs and conducting capacity building trainings
- Work closely with implementing partners to prepare and submit reports on approved frequency
- Good interpersonal, listening and communication skills;
- Ability to positively influence others and successfully reconcile differences;
- A self-starter with a strong results orientation and with high levels of integrity, credibility and dependability;
- An energetic team player who can effectively collaborate, and who can stand alone when necessary;
- Demonstrated ability to work and deliver under pressure and tight deadlines.
- Commitment to Street Child mission, vision and values, and the ability to convey with enthusiasm Street Child’s role in accompanying and serving forcibly displaced people and in advocating for their right to protection and a life in dignity;
- This role will involve working with vulnerable people and children, and requires relevant knowledge of safeguarding principles
- High integrity, honesty and confidentiality; ability to deal tactfully and discreetly with situations, people and information;
- Acceptance of diversity and inclusion as a core value.
- Willingness to work in flexible, sub-optimal, stressful and unstable environment.
Qualification and experience:
- Experience (at least 2 year) of working in North East Nigeria on the emergency response in education or child protection
- Experience of working in Monguno (an advantage, but not an requirement)
- Demonstrated experience and commitment to working with marginalized communities
- Fluency in English and Hausa (written and spoken) and excellent writing skills.
- Kanuri is a great advantage
- Strong analytical, reporting, strategic thinking and planning skills.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills/experience
- Knowledge of project cycle management.
Terms and Conditions:
Contract is for 1 year and renewable according to performance review, with an initial probationary period of three months. The salary will be proportioned to the candidate experience and balanced to the Street Child salary scale.