INTERSOS is an independent, no-profit organization which, through its own humanitarian operators, intervenes to effectively answer the needs of people in serious crises situations, mainly in the world's poorest regions, who are suffering, deprived of rights, dignity and essentials goods. It maintains a flexible operating structure. The head office in Italy coordinates, supports and monitors the planned activities in the countries of intervention carried out by decentralised offices. The statutory bodies of INTERSOS, are: the Members Assembly, the Council, the Society for Auditing and Certification of Accounts.
Intersos, established in 1992, is recognised by the Italian Ministry for Foreign Affairs, the European Commission and the principal UN agencies; it is privileged to hold an advisory status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).
Medical Advisor/Project Medical Referent - OFDA
Location: Maiduguri, with frequent missions in the field ( Ngala, Bama, Dikwa and Magumeri (LGA), Borno
Contract duration: 12 months
Starting date: 30/08/2019
Supervision of: 15 staff (nationals)
Reporting to: (Hierarchical): Project Manager; (Technical): Medical Coordinator
General Purpose of the Position
- Participates in defining, planning and monitoring medical activities and programs in the project in accordance with INTERSOS protocols as well as coordinates human and material related resources needed in order to ensure the quality of care provided by INTERSOS.
- Being responsible for the coordination of medical activities and resources in the mission if the Medical Coordinator is not present.
Main Responsibilities and Tasks
In collaboration with the Project Manager, the Medical Coordinator and the rest of team defines, implements and monitors medical activities, according to INTERSOS project plans and mission strategy, standards and protocols. Participates in exploratory missions, situation assessments (providing technical inputs and recommendations for new and ongoing interventions in the country and defining medical operational priorities when needed) and the development of the project policy, annual plan, budget review and project proposal and reports to donors:
- In coordination with the Project Manager, establish and maintain regular and collaborative relations with relevant donors, local authorities, partners, medical actors, project stakeholders and other organizations working in the target areas
- Proactively participate in cluster meetings and relevant inter-sectoral coordination meetings at field level, contributing to the development of guidelines, standards, tools and strategies
- Responsible for the medical data collection, analysis and reporting to the Medical Coordination through a correct use of internal databases and monitoring tools in order to ensure a proper monitoring of the program
- Provide technical support to medical personnel in the field through self-knowledge and policies, ensuring compliance with the protocols of INTERSOS medical activities
- Coordinate, supervise, coach, support and evaluate the medical team members’ performance to improve the medical components of the project and ensure compliance with INTERSOS protocols and standards
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the Project Manager, the associated processes (recruitment, training, induction, performance evaluation, development and internal/external communication) of the medical staffs of the project in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required and improve staffs capabilities
- Supervise an efficient management of the field pharmacy and medical equipment, in collaboration with the Logistics department. Monitor consumption and preparation of medical orders to provide drugs, medical materials, medical devices and consumables at all circumstances and avoid stock shortage
- In close coordination with the Project Manager and clusters, develop and establish internal and external functional and effective referral and coordination mechanisms at field level
- Implement the health policy for international and national staff, providing all prophylactic and preventive necessary measures, structures and emergency plans, managing any medical evacuation in order to ensure INTERSOS staff health
- In coordination with HQ Medical Unit being the focal person in case of absence of the Medical Coordinator to coordinate medical activities (opening and closure of mission, interim, reduced activities, etc…)
- Advanced university degree in Medicine or other Paramedical Studies. Desirable specialization in Tropical Medicine or a degree in Public Health.
- Minimum 2 years relevant work experience as Medical referent in the humanitarian sector especially in fragile and unstable environments
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel and internet)
- Demonstrate experience with different donors compliance and reporting
- Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
- Strategic vision
- Results and quality orientation
- Understanding of humanitarian operations principles, standards and best practices
- Previous experience in Nigeria and/or Western and Central Africa is an asset
- Sound personal organizational skills, including time management, ability to meet deadlines, multi-tasking, prioritization of tasks, and working under pressure
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international multiethnic and multicultural environment
- Proven management and leadership skills
- Ability to deliver high quality work in short periods of time
- Ability to work under pressure
- Flexibility to respond to changing nature of humanitarian context and operational difficulties in the field
- Proficiency in English (conversation, reading and writing) required
- Behavioural flexibility
- Commitment to INTERSOS principles
- Willingness to accept basic living standard and frequent field missions
- Ability to establish collaborative relationships with staff, beneficiaries and other stakeholders
- Strong attitude to take initiative, work autonomously and achieve effectively results
- Respect of INTERSOS mission and values
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.