Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Technical Consultant: Bauchi State Contributory Health Scheme (Health Insurance)
Project Overview and Role
Palladium is a global impact firm, working with corporations, governments, investors, communities, and civil society to link social progress and commercial growth. With a global network operating in over 90 countries, Palladium is in the business of making the world a better place and for over 50 years, has been formulating strategies, building partnerships, and implementing programs that have a lasting social and financial impact. This, Palladium simply calls "Positive Impact".
The USAID Integrated Health Program (IHP) is implemented by a consortium led by the Palladium Group and is an expanded effort by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) with the Government of Nigeria (GON) to identify and provide technical support for rapid scale-up of proven interventions through improvement of service delivery and strengthening of health systems. The activity will facilitate seven core intervention areas: health system strengthening (HSS), reproductive health/family planning, child health, maternal and newborn health, nutrition and malaria (RMNCH +NM).
- The Decentralization of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) and consequent establishment of State Health Insurance/Contributory Schemes (SHIS) across the country is one of the key policy thrusts of the Government of Nigeria aimed at reforming the health financing landscape for a stronger health system and improved health outcomes.
- To realize this laudable reform effort, IHP shall be supporting the Bauchi, Kebbi and Sokoto states to put in place necessary design elements for the effective roll-out and implementation of the various State contributory health schemes (SCHS).
- In Bauchi state, the law establishing the Bauchi State Contributory Health Scheme (BASCHES) has been passed and an Executive Secretary has been appointed to head the Bauchi State Contributory Health Management Agency (BASCHMA). With support from erstwhile USAID projects, the state has developed several technical documents including the operational guidelines, establishment plan, funds management guidelines, and conducted health financing analytics (Fiscal Space Analysis, Actuarial analysis) to guide evidence based and context appropriate pre-payment design. It is anticipated that the State Contributory Health Scheme will take off before the end of 2019.
- The IHP project which aims to partner the State Government and other stakeholders to sustainably improve health outcomes has identified the establishment of a prepayment health mechanism as an important approach for achieving sustainable financing for health, increasing access to critical health services and improving financial risk protection for the populace.
- Based on this, IHP further recognizes the need for organizational and technical capacity to effectively implement the BASCHES, hence health insurance operations and technical assistance.
- In a similar vein, the State also established the Bauchi State Health Trust Fund (BHETFUND), an initiative aimed at mobilizing additional resources for health from public, private and innovative sources.
- With support from Community Health and Research (CHR), the agency now has an operational guideline but still seeks support to achieve effective implementation and the capacity building of the agency staff to undertake effective resource mobilization.
- To this end, IHP shall provide technical support to the agency to achieve funds flow from identified sources and ensure its use for intended purposes through the establishment of strong accountability and transparency mechanisms.
- Achieving an appropriate design of the health insurance elements is a critical step towards realizing the effective roll out and implementation of the state contributory health scheme.
- To move from this point to the eventual delivery of health services through the scheme, it is essential to strengthen operational and technical capacity of the Bauchi State Health Contributory Management Agency (BASHCMA) needed to implement sound health insurance operations.
- To this end, the BASHCMA has requested the USAID Integrated Health Program to provide a short-term embedded consultant to provide health insurance expertise to guide the efficient and effective roll out and implementation of the Scheme.
- This consultancy aims to provide, together with IHP Health Financing Advisors, technical assistance to operationalize the Bauchi State Contributory Health Scheme by embedding an experienced health insurance expert within the Bauchi State Health Contributory Management Agency to guide the design of critical elements required for effective health insurance operations.
Roles and Responsibilities
Conduct a review of BASCHES:
- The goal, objectives, their status, challenges and opportunities.
- Identification of gaps; organizational/institutional and financing capacity development plan for agency staff
- Recommendations for a five-year strategic plan and implementation roadmap for BASCHMA (road map for 100% UHC)
- Number of days anticipated: 5
- Deliverable: BASCHES policy review report
- BASHMA staff capacity assessment and plan with on the job mentoring and at least 6 in-house CB events
Provide expert TA to finalize the design of the ICT scope and requirements:
- Number of days anticipated: 3
- Deliverable: Recommendations for the design of the ICT scope and requirements
Provide expert TA to finalize the design of demand and supply side elements for health insurance implementation:
- Operational documents (Guidelines, Standard Operational Procedures, Tools)
- Enrolment plan
- Equity fund use
- TPA/HIA engagement
- facility selection and accreditation
- service level agreements
- key performance indicators
- integration of vertical programs into health insurance programs
- reporting requirements
- Number of days anticipated: 10
- Deliverable: A complete package of Operational Guidelines, SOPs and Tools
Provide expert TA to develop an orientation package on BASCHES implementation for all stakeholders (including TPAs, Health Facilities etc.) and do a small pre-test with intended audiences:
- Number of days anticipated: 10
- Deliverable: Draft performance management system framework, guidelines and key performance indicators
Provide technical support to co-develop a performance management system and facilitate regular performance reviews with a view to improving operations:
- Number of days anticipated: 7
- Deliverables: Draft performance management system framework, guidelines and key performance indicators
Assess capacity of staff, develop capacity building plans provide mentoring and technical handholding for the operationalization of the roadmap and conduct at least 6 capacity building in-house events:
- Number of days anticipated: 10
- Facilitate regular performance reviews with the staff to develop routine procedures and practice and conduct at least 6 CB in-house events.
Work with the BASCHMA to provide progress on key performance indicators regularly to engender the culture of accountability and transparency:
- Number of days anticipated: 4
- Deliverable: Orientation package for stakeholders
With BASCHMA, provide a bi-monthly progress report and final report on this technical assistance assignment:
- Number of days anticipated: 5
- Deliverables: Bi-weekly and final report with all deliverables in electronic, word and pdf format
The consultant should possess the following;
Qualifications and required experience:
- A Bachelor’s degree or its equivalent from a reputable University in Medicine, Sciences, or numerate disciplines such as Actuarial Science, Statistics, Insurance, etc.
- Post graduate qualification (Master’s or PhD) in Management, Public Health, Health Management, Health Economics, Insurance or other related fields
- Certification in and/or professional membership of Health, Management and Health Insurance related bodies shall be an added advantage
- Minimum of 5 years’ progressive experience in the health insurance space, Universal Health Coverage and other related field.
- Experience in developing and delivering capacity building workshops; including on UHC and Health insurance implementation
- Good understanding of current health financing reform initiatives in Nigeria especially at the subnational level;
- Experience carrying out similar assignments in Nigeria particularly at the sub-national level.
Required technical competences:
- Familiar with results-based management.
- ICT for Health Insurance operations.
- Knowledgeable about change theories and health system approaches
- Expert in Capacity Building through Coaching and Mentoring.
- Strong and proven writing skills with experience writing government policy documents, guidelines, etc.)
- Expert in capacity development for UHC and social health insurance.
Required personal competences:
- Analytical skills
- Leadership and coaching skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good communication skills (negotiation, moderation, representation, presentation of results)
- Very good oral and writing skills in English
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.