The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) is an independent humanitarian medical NGO that was created in 2009 by professionals of humanitarian medicine. ALIMA’s mission is to provide medical care in emergency situations or medical catastrophes;
Medical Activity Manager
Report to (functional) :
Medical Coordinator/Project Coordinator
Ensure the proper functioning of the medical activities under his/her responsibility, defining and implementing ALIMA policies, protocols and procedures, and guaranteeing the quality of healthcare in order to improve health conditions of the target population.
- Coordinate, assess and supervise the proper functioning of the medical activities (ITFC, IPD, etc.), according to ALIMA protocols and procedures and through the correct compilation and analysis of medical data regarding patients’ health conditions.
- Defining, coordinating and monitoring all care and patient’s management related activities in the project and ensuring the daily management of the human resources, according to ALIMA’s nursing protocols, standards and procedures, in order to warrant efficiency, quality and continuity of prescribed care.
- Planning and organizing all medical related activities (IPD, ITFC, Maternity, nutrition, Outreach etc.) and participating in the definition of periodic planning and update of its associated budget in order to efficiently maintain the continuity of the standard quality healthcare. When needed, being responsible for scheduling duty rosters, shifts and call of medical staff.
- Oversee and monitor the rational prescription and use of medicines and the proper administration of treatments in step with ALIMA protocols.
- Oversee proper management of the facility dispensation pharmacy (inventory, orders, supervision of distribution).
- Participate in handling international orders for medicines and medical supplies.
- Ensure that all administrative procedures and documents (individual patient cards and registration book, discharge forms, transfer forms, etc.) and existing data management tools are used correctly
- Monitor adherence to hygiene procedures for materials (sterilization, waste disposal), rooms and equipment in general.
- Support the development and implementation of protocols and standards
- Train, supervise and manage ALIMA staff or community health providers through activities such as recruitment, defining job descriptions, capacity-building, briefing/debriefing and evaluation of staff.
- Guides his management team (supervisors) in the organisation and coherent delivery of health care.
- Coordination of health care services with the different actors in the structure (doctors, logistics service, administration, etc).
- Checking that medical care protocols and security and asepsis rules are followed by the health care personnel
- Organising and supervising the work of his team members. Leading and organising regular team meetings. Organising the circulation of information within his team.
- Identifying personnel with potential within his team. Defining the training needs of his team with the project objectives in mind. Participation in the training of his team
- Carrying out systematic (at least annual) individual reviews of supervisor under his responsibility
- Participating in discussions on the running of the project and definition of objectives
- Reporting to the line manager on any relevant information linked to medical activities and participating in periodic reports according to guidelines.
- Plan and supervise, in close coordination with the HR department, the associated processes (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, development and internal communication) of the staff of the activity in order to ensure both the sizing and the amount of knowledge required, and to improve staff capabilities.
- Coordinate and monitor the daily working plan of the team under his/her responsibility (absent personnel, vacations, tracking leaves ...). Replaces a doctor if necessary and participates in shifts.
- Ensure an efficient pharmacy and medical equipment management and monitor the rational use of them.
- Participate in the programs / project follow-up, supervise and ensure that medical activities objectives under his/her responsibility are achieved and report to the technical referent any problem arising in the service.
- Participates in the monthly reports according to guidelines (i.e. SitReps, medical statistical reports, etc.) and definition of annual planning, budget for the project
- Essential Medical Doctor, MBBS & MDCN
- Desirable specialization or training in tropical medicine or public health.
- Essential minimum 2 years experience as a medical doctor in medical activities related jobs.
- Desirable working experience in ALIMA or other NGO’s in developing countries.
- Desirable: Experience in tropical medicine, or post-registration experience in Public Health , obs and gynae, paediatrics, A&E, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS/STDs, TB, general practice, general medicine or minor surgery.
Mission language essential, local language desirable.
- Essential computer literacy (word, excel, internet)
- People Management.
- The responsibilities mentioned above are not exhaustive and other work can be required according to the needs of the mission.
- Mobility is requested from ALIMA staff, including short term assignments from their usual place of work.
- Part of any ALIMA-employee responsibilities is the attendance of trainings as per the requirements of the organisation.
- The job description can be modified according to the evolution of the work.
- NB: This job description is not intended to be all inclusive as it could be amended from time to time according to the needs of the mission.
Work location: Monguno, Borno State.
Contract Duration: 6 months, renewable.
Method of Application
Submit online your Application Letter & CV with colour picture, Subject: Medical Activity Manager – Monguno OR Logistics Manager – Askira-Uba to email@example.com, or Hard copy in ALIMA’s of Maiduguri.
Only successful applicants will be called for interview.
No monetary transactions, neither demands of favors in kind, nor other types of favoritism will be tolerated in the recruitment process.