INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assist the victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
Work Location: 100% Field location. Selected candidate will be based in one of the following
location: Bama, Dikwa, Magumeri, Ngala
Reporting to: WASH Supervisor
The WASH Officer will be based in targeted LGAs in Borno State, with field trips. The WASH Officer is responsible for activities Planning and Supervision of Field Staff, Technical designs of WASH Infrastructures,
Conducting trainings for communities on hygiene, Water Management Committees, Awareness campaign, Data collection, Developing the new concept ideas and Mobilizing the communities for WASH activities.
KEY JOB TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work along with the hygiene promotion team/Social Mobilizers and WASH Supervisor in all the processes of selecting, designing, implementing and monitoring the WASH systems and activities by meetings and good communication
- Attend the Co-ordination meetings of the area, inform and co- ordinate the WASH activities with the other agencies and actors carrying out similar activities.
- Regularly inform the field manager verbally and with written reports on the state and progress of the activities and the problems and/or solutions identified
- Supervise Water and Sanitation construction projects and ensure contract terms and conditions and Health &amp; safety guide lines are adhered to for the entire duration of the contract.
- Management of the contractors in all the Water and Sanitation construction projects
- Mobilize, train and follow-up on communities/WASH committees formed and/or trained by INTERSOS in all activities concerning WASH, ensuring good community participation, gender
- balance and ownership by the community Maintain electronic data management and filing system, of the programme.
- Participate in recruiting technical personnel of the project
- Participate in building the capacity of the WASH technical team on their responsibility
- Plan and coordinate the activities to be done each week with the team and support and supervise their evolution each day, assuring the quality of the work.
- Ensure community participation in all WASH activities.
- Provide detailed, accurate and timely weekly reports to supervisor on activities, challenges and areas in need of improvement
- Plan for, organize and conduct trainings for communities and committees in areas such as Water management Committees, School hygiene clubs, Hygiene awareness in communities
- Ensure constant communication with INTERSOS WASH staff to identify potential problems, formulate recommendations and solutions and report
- Conduct regular monitoring visits to the field, to follow-up on INTERSOS activities and ensure community participation in the activities
- Ensure that consideration is given with focus on gender, protection and HIV/AIDS in water and sanitation activities.
- Degree or a Diploma in Civil, Water Engineering or Community/Public/Environmental Health Sciences.
- At least 2 years of relevant experience in handling WASH responsibilities
- Leadership, people management and development, teamwork and cooperation
- Reporting skills
- Capacity to work under pressure
- Familiarity with Nigerian public sector health systems
- Hygiene awareness-raising campaign implementation experiences;
- Experience in Preparation of project Bill of Quantities (BoQ) is essential
- Computer skills (MS Office, particularly MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook).
- Fluency in English, Hausa and Kanuri
- Respect and non-discriminatory attitude, empathy
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Strong sense of responsibility, methodical and accurate with high organizational skills.
- Honesty and integrity and able to cope with stressful situations.
Method of Application
Candidates interested in this position should complete this form
and attach your CV with the following format “Surname_Position you applied for”.
Please note that only applicants whose competencies meet the requirement of the position will be contacted.
Application deadline: apply no later than 10th June 2019 at 9:00am
Please note that INTERSOS do not ask for any form of payment at any stage of recruitment.
Interested and qualified? Go to INTERSOS career website on docs.google.com to apply