The International Organization for Migration (IOM) - Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Project Officer (MM/Awareness Raising)
Classification: Professional Staff, Grade P2
Type of Appointment: Special short-term graded, Six months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
- Irregular migration along the Central Mediterranean route is increasingly dangerous for migrants. Crossing the Mediterranean to Italy is by far the deadliest route, with 1 death recorded for 35 arrivals (IOM, 2016). In addition, over 70% of the migrants interviewed by IOM on their arrival in Italy report that they were victims of trafficking or other exploitative practices during their migratory journey along the routes of the Central Mediterranean.
- To meet these challenges IOM, with support from the European Union (EU), has developed targeted interventions in Nigeria and transit countries to protect the security, dignity and rights of migrants along this important and dangerous migration route and to help in improving the reintegration of returnees through an innovative approach.
- This will be achieved through different types of interventions including protection and assistance to vulnerable and stranded migrants, provision of direct assistance through search and rescue support, identification, referral and direct assistance to vulnerable migrants, assistance for voluntary return, support for sustainable reintegration in the communities of origin, the dissemination of accurate information on migration to migrants, potential migrants and communities, and the collection of data on migration flows.
- The projects aim at strengthening the technical and material capacities of the authorities and organizations involved in Nigeria to ensure sustainability of changes at policies and programmes levels for better protection and reintegration of returnees in the country.
- Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager, Migration Management (MM) and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (MM/MPA), Lagos, the successful candidate will be responsible for implementing activities related to awareness raising and behavioural change communication initiatives in Nigeria.
Core Functions / Responsibilities
- Guided by the Awareness Raising Strategy for Central and West Africa, ensure timely implementation of all awareness raising interventions in IOM Nigeria.
- Provide technical information and guidance to the behavioural change communication team, contractors, and implementing partners, with the overarching aim of reaching project objectives on time and as per the budget.
- Coordinate and carry out capacity building activities targeting local actors and the behavioural change communication team on Communication for Development by providing training and contributing to the development of training materials.
- In coordination with the mission Communications Team, contribute technical inputs for the development of, and implement social media campaigns with support from Regional Office (RO) for Central and West Africa in Dakar, Senegal, and the Media and Communication Division (MCD) in Headquarters (HQs), on topics of trafficking in persons, irregular migration, protection, reintegration and others relevant to IOM’s mandates by drafting campaign documents, conducting target audience analysis, etc.
- Coordinate, monitor and follow up on information campaign message development exercises to facilitate contents tailored to local context by using a Communication for Development (C4D) approach; test the message for appropriateness to each identified target group.
- Work in close coordination with the regional office in the production of materials and content for campaigns targeted at raising awareness among source communities and returning and potential migrants.
- Support and encourage two-way communications in awareness raising campaigns to allow for real-time feedback to measure impact of various messages and communications channels.
- Contribute to knowledge management activities, including monitoring and evaluation, and follow up on the capturing of gender disaggregated results;
- Monitor the implementation of the EU-IOM Joint Initiative’s Awareness Raising pillar and other complementing projects.
- Encourage appropriate gender mainstreaming in IOM campaigns in relation to the issues covered.
- Participate in the development of new projects in coordination with the Programme Manager based on identified needs during project implementation.
- Participate in meetings with donors, government counterparts, partners and other concerned stakeholders in relation to the awareness raising portfolio.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Master's degree in Migration Studies, Communication Studies, Communication for Development or a related field from an accredited academic institution with two years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with four years of relevant professional experience.
- Experience in communication for development;
- Previous experience designing social campaigns in international and/or crisis contexts;
- Strong organizational and editorial skills;
- Previous experience in managing projects preferred;
- Previous experience in training and capacity building interventions preferred;
- Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
- Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
- Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently.
- Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Managerial Competencies – behavioural indicators level 2
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
- Internationally recruited professional staff are required to be mobile.
- Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
- The list of NMS countries above includes all IOM Member States which are non-represented in the Professional Category of staff members. For this staff category, candidates who are nationals of the duty station’s country cannot be considered eligible.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
Method of Application
- In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Interested and qualified? Go to International Organization for Migration - IOM career website on recruit.iom.int to apply