Christian Aid (CA) is a UK-based international NGO, partnering with others to end poverty in Africa. At the heart of this vision is the transformation of the lives of people who live in poverty, empowering them to have a brighter future. Christian Aid works in more than 30 countries and has been operating in Nigeria since 2003. The Nigeria Country programme focuses on Community Health and HIV, Accountable Governance including humanitarian response and Gender.
Senior Operations Coordinator
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Reports to: Business Systems Manager
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Contracted hours: 35
Contract length: Six month
- The role holder will support Christian Aid’s humanitarian response in the North East with special focuses on operations.
- He/she will be responsible for leading the team responsible for procurement, logistics, human resources and administration within the humanitarian response to enable the team to function smoothly and effectively.
- Proactively taking responsibility for making things work, for example managing the relationship and performance of external suppliers and service providers and ensure that sub offices function optimally.
- She/he will support Christian Aid’s funded programmes which are implemented by Christian Aid and its partners in Borno and other northeast states.
- The role holder will be representing Christian Aid in sector working groups meetings/activities and engage in the right networks. The role reports to the Business Systems Manager.
- The role is positioned in the Business Administration, HR & IT role family. Based within the humanitarian response, the focus of the role is to ensure core business systems function within the humanitarian response including sub offices.
- The role will be working closely with the Business Systems Manager to coordinate the human resource, administrative, logistics and procurement activities in the humanitarian response.
- It manages CA property, sources and secures various contracts (with suppliers, service providers, consultants).
- It is the custodian of assets and responsible for all health and safety issues pertaining to staff and visitors.
- The role will be highly involved in change processes working closely with the Humanitarian Response Manager and the Business
- Systems Manager to implement new policies and systems across the humanitarian response as they are rolled out.
- The role will be involved in recruitment of new staff and ensures that staff are properly inducted.
- The role also oversees, leads, line manages and builds the capacities of other staff members within the team.
- The role is fundamental to creating a conducive working environment for all staff in the humanitarian response.
- Compliance with Christian Aid policies, procedures and standards especially in the areas of IT, Information Management, Administration and general operational systems.
- Effective and efficient business operational systems in place throughout the humanitarian response and sub offices and for managing relationships with partners and external suppliers.
- High quality advice and support provided to staff and to the Humanitarian Response Manager.
- Accurate maintenance of data relating to office administration and operations including monthly, quarterly and annual reporting and fulfilment of all Christian Aid procedural requirements.
- Working closely with the Humanitarian Response Manager, ensures the office is properly registered (including renewal of licensing) and in compliance with local Legislation (including labour and operational laws in Borno State).
- Effective management of external suppliers working to agreed service level agreements or contracts (e.g. consultants, landlords, internet service providers, IT maintenance companies, security firms etc.)
- Management and development of high performing team who are meeting their objectives
- External: Build strong relationships with partners, networks, donors, stakeholders and community beneficiaries.
- Internal: Build strong relationship with program departments, FSL/WASH Staff, MEAL officers, program managers, M&E units and all in-country and global staff.
- Make decisions in order to manage team effectively, from recruitment of volunteers and program staff to day to day management of team members.
- Also providing technical input and overall leadership on all logistics, administration and procurement issues.
- Day to day decision to ensure adequate support to projects are running effectively and higher levels decisions on supporting the projects informed by Christian Aid's strategy and strategic focus areas.
- Works on complex specialist/ technical issues. Problems and issue, risks and benefits may have implications across several departments.
- Required to develop new ways of doing things to better meet program goals requiring substantial creative or analytical ability.
Developing self and others:
- Has direct responsibility for developing, coaching and motivating a team or teams of colleagues/project team members. Focus will be on advising and guiding project leads on policy issues/high level procedures.
Applied Skills/Knowledge and Expertise
- The post holder should have a first Degree in any of the Social Sciences - Business Administration, Public Administration, Economics, with 5-7 years’ experience of working in humanitarian response with local and/international partner organizations.
- Strong positive attitude and ability to manage a wide range of issues of complicated issues, indicated by 5-7 years learning period.
- Ability to manage and lead a team
- High level of integrity
- Fluency in verbal and written English
- Understanding of the working of NGOs
- Post graduate degree and membership of relevant professional body.
- At least a 5 years humanitarian response experience especially in the areas of administration, procurement and logistics.
- Familiar with office operations in the Northeast Nigeria context.
- Ability to communicate fluently in Hausa and English language.
IT Competency required:
LEVEL 2 - You are expected to be able to:
- Take on different work when necessary to achieve a team or organisational goal.
- Actively consult with others to ensure you understand their needs or goals.
- Listen to and take on board fresh perspectives and views even if you initially disagree with them.
- Maintain on-going relationships with individuals and contacts through networks, based on mutual rapport and respect.
- Make complex things simple for the benefit of others.
- Actively listen and question to check your understanding and draw out others when they are not expressing themselves clearly or seem to be holding back.
- Be sensitive to what others may be feeling, based on what they say, how they say it and their non-verbal behavior, adapting your style and approach to fit.
- Address difficult issues when they arise, being honest and open.
- Implement ways to reduce the inefficient use of resources or pass the ideas on to someone who can make them happen.
- Estimate the resources needed to achieve your own work plans or objectives and to deliver them in the most efficient and cost-effective way.
- Set and communicate realistic timelines for achieving tasks, working out how best to adapt as priorities change or unforeseen circumstances arise.
- Prioritise, plan and monitor own work to meet own and team deliverables to agreed performance or quality standards.
- Acknowledge others’ priorities whilst being prepared to say “no” if there are genuine reasons why their needs cannot be met.
- Use logical processes and relevant tools and techniques to report on information or analyse options.
- Make timely and considered recommendations or decisions based on analysis of available data, information and evidence.
- Evaluate your own work and actively address gaps in knowledge and skills, without prompting.
- Recognise how you react to feedback and manage reactions positively, acting on specific feedback from others.
- Share your knowledge where it will help others to be more effective.
- Provide instruction, constructive feedback and guidance to others to help them learn.
Strive for Improvement:
- Constructively challenge existing practice.
- Seek better ways of doing things, taking into account the possible implications.
- Make positive suggestions on a way forward when faced with challenges even if these falls outside own scope of work.
- Look inside and outside Christian Aid for new ideas and evaluate them for own work.
Salary (full time): N9,871,478
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Click here for more Information (PDF)
- Further details of specific tasks and duties will be agreed with the line manager as part of the performance agreement. Any reasonable duty may be assigned that is consistent with the nature of the job and its level of responsibility.
- This role profile is not prescriptive; it merely outlines the key behaviours the role-holder requires to be successful in the role; the key behaviours and responsibilities are subject to change. Any changes will be made in consultation with the role-holder.
- You will be expected to abide by the Code of Conduct, policies and procedures within Christian Aid which may be updated from time to time.
- You must be in sympathy with the aims, beliefs and values of Christian Aid as it seeks to work on relief, development and advocacy for poverty eradication.
30th October, 2018.