The United Nations Collaborative Programme on Reducing Emissions from deforestation and Forest Degradation in Developing Countries (UN-REDD Programme) is a collaboration between The Government of Nigeria, Cross River State, FAO, UNDP, UNEP. Within the partnership, FAO supports countries on technical issues related to forestry and the development of cost effective and reliable Monitoring, Measurement, Reporting and Verification (M.MRV) processes for emissions reductions which form the core activities for the performance or result-based implementation phase of REDD+.
Duty Station: Calabar, Main Office at the Cross River State Forest Service, with in-country travel
Duration: One year, full time
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the direct technical supervision of the Regional UN-REDD MRV Expert in Accra, the National REDD+ Coordinator at the Federal Ministry of Environment & the Chairman of the Forestry Commission of the Cross River States, and working in close collaboration with the UNREDD ChiefTechnical Advisor in Nigeria, and the Assistant FAO Representative for Programmes, the National MRV Expert will support and undertake activities leading to the development of a robust forest monitoring and reporting system to meet the needs of both the national and tnternational reporting requirements for Nigeria.
At Cross-River State level:
- Support and undertake capacity needs assessment on forestry inventory and monitoring;
- Support the development of capacities for undertaking GHG inventory in forestry and land-use sectors;
- Assist in specialized training and capacity building on forest monitoring & participatory forest monitoring;
- Assist in the procurement and interpretation of satellite imagery;
- Assist in the selection & procurement of equipment for the MRV component of the REDD+ Programme (notable Remote Sensing, GIS and Forest Inventory equipment and the installation of the GIS laboratory and other monitoring tools);
- Provide muut; "',d technical support in the areas of land use stratification, the design of a multiresource forest inventory, field data collection and analysis, community-based forest monitoring. and the establishment of reference emission levels;
- Draft Terms of Reference, letters of Agreement and coordinate the work of international and national consultants recruited to undertake MRV related work, such as studies on drivers of deforestation and forest degradation; follow up execution and payments of Letters of Agreements and contracts;
- Assist in the preparation of project work plans for submission to the Project Steering Committee for review;
- Assist in the production of Project Progress Reports on MRV for submission to FAO (FAO-Nigeria and
- FAO-Hqs) and in the production of the final MRV report of the project;
- Assist in data collection for country-specific wood density, and for development of allometric equations;
- Provide ongoing support to the REDD+ Iechoical Support Unit as deemed necessary.
At Federal level:
- Undertake capacity needs assessment on forestry monitoring:
- Develop capacities for undertaking GHG inventory in forestry and land-use sector.
- Provide trairung on forest monitoring to experts;
- Provide technical inputs to determine nationwide approach to stratification,
- Oversee and collaborate with the on-line tools for MRV;
- Provide ongoing support to REDD+ Technical Support to Unit.
- Advanced degree (at least Masters) in Forestry or a closely related field with emphasis on Forest Inventory, Remote Sensing, and GIS.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professions/experience
- Competence in forest information, systems and information management and experience in capacity building
- Demonstrated field experience in Nigeria and strong knowledge of relevant Nigerian
- institutions for REDD are required:
- Strong inter-personal skills, especially oral communication skills,
- Must be willing to regularly carry out presentations on the project status and its different components:
- Experience working in inter-cultural environments and relevant working experience for an international or multi-lateral organization are a plus.
- International travels may also be required.
- Proficiency in both spoken and written English is required.
Frequent contact with internal and external officials of whom many are at the senior level.
Method of Application
Applications should include detailed curriculum vitae (CV) as well as copies of all academic and professional certificates,
All candidates applying for this position are further required to apply through the FAO iRecruitment system; the link is: http://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/ or http://www.fao.org/employment/en/
Kindly complete the on line FAO Personal Profile Form in iRecruitment which can be accessed from any Internet connection. Please scan the completed form and send the same along with your credentials electronically via e-mail to FAO-NG@fao.org on or before cob Tuesday 22 July 2014 and should be addressed to:
The FAO Representative in Nigeria
Food and Agriculture Organization Of the United (FAO-UN)
UN House, Abuja,
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale