The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
NRC is looking for a Shelter Officer for our area office in Monguno, Borno State, in Northern Nigeria. The purpose of the officer position is day to day implementation of the Shelter Project activities in Dikwa.
NRC initiated country operations in Nigeria in June 2015, in order to respond to the critical and increasing needs in the country. NRC currently has a full team based in Maiduguri and a coordination office in Abuja. NRC is currently providing services across various sectors namely; Shelter and Non-Food Items (NFI); Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Promotion (WASH); Food Security; and Information, Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) and education in order to address identified humanitarian needs.
Location Monguno Shelter Officer- Nigerian Nationals only - Norwegian Refugee Council
The Shelter Officer reports to the Shelter Coordinator.
- Supervise the Shelter assistants.
- Break down the annual operational plans into weekly, monthly and quarterly implementation plans
- Support supervisors in pre-evaluation and anticipation of needs and in site supply planning,
- Under the supervision of the Shelter Coordinator and/or the shelter Programme Development Manager, initiate the drafts of technical drawings, develop Bill of Quantity and technical specification notes for shelter projects.
- Assist the Shelter Coordinator in the development of site planning and other related designs delegated
- Assist the shelter coordinator, to develop emergency shelter designs and organize emergency responses,
- Responsible for preparation and follow up of procurement requests and updating the procurement database.
- Work closely with logistics and community members to accurately control the quantities and qualities of materials delivered.
- University degree in civil engineering or architecture
- Knowledge of the context in North Eastern Nigeria
- Knowledge of the local language Kanuri, Hausa
- Experience with start-up, exit or similar
- Experience household training in and infrastructure maintenance
- Familiarity with AutoCAD, GPS, ARC GIS and Google Earth
- Civil engineering / construction
- College / University, Bachelor's degree
- Handling insecure environments
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing performance and development
- Planning and delivering results
- A good sense of humour is an asset
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Code of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable.
- Commencement: July 2019
- Duration: 7 months
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
- Level: Grade 5 Step 1 in the NRC grade structure
- Duty station: Monguno, with frequent travels. Travel outside Monguno is dependent on changing security conditions, especially for certain roads in the area.
- An approved health certificate will be requested before contract start.
- Application procedures and CV registration: Please note that you are required to enter the geographical location for all your previous positions while registering your CV. There is no specific field for this information in our CV form, but you can use the "Company name" field for both company and location.
JD _ Shelter Officer _ Technical
NRC Grade Structure
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) career website on www.webcruiter.no to apply