REACH was born in 2010 as a joint initiative of two INGOs (IMPACT Initiatives and ACTED) and the United Nations Institute for Training and Research (UNITAR) Operational Satellite Applications Programme (UNOSAT).
REACH’s purpose is to promote and facilitate the development of information products that enhance the humanitarian community’s decision making and planning capacity for emergency, reconstruction and development contexts, supporting and working within the framework of the humanitarian reform process.
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
Start Date: Start date: As soon as possible Desirable
- Under the supervision of the REACH GIS Officer, the REACH Database Officer, REACH Database Assistant will be responsible for supporting the development and maintenance of a country/region database for the consolidation of all assessment-related and GIS data in country/region.
- (S) He will also be responsible for supporting data cleaning, updating of REACH database.
Database/Data Entry activities:
- The REACH Database Assistant will support the maintenance of database(s) for the consolidation of all assessment-related and GIS data in country.
- He/she will ensure the capitalization of tools and procedure related databases.
- Data Cleaning and Analysis Support:
- The REACH Database Assistant support data cleaning and provide quality assurance review on all new data sets, and provide both regular and ad hoc data cleaning of data for REACH and partner organizations
- The REACH Database Assistant will contribute towards the identification and implementation of effective and adapted technical solutions and partnerships within the REACH Nigeria mission, in collaboration with the REACH Global team and other REACH Country Missions, and through coordination with relevant partners in other agencies as appropriate
- The REACH Database Assistant will respond to information requests from REACH and its partners.
- In order to support the development of joint database tools and processes with REACH partners in country, the REACH Database Assistant will maintain regular interactions and reporting with key IM partners including cluster lead agencies, UN agencies, NGOs and technical partners.
- He/she will respond to information requests from REACH partners in country related to data and mapping as well as solicit information from partner organizations to be incorporated into database.
- Furthermore, he/she will liaise with these partners to ensure the data is shared with REACH team when required.
Confidentiality and Data Protection:
- The REACH Database Assistant will maintain the strictest confidentiality of data and processes.
- He/she will actively take measures to prevent the unauthorized sharing of information and data
Requirements / Skills
Fluency of English is mandatory;
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Information System/Management, or other relevant technical discipline required;
- Min. 1 year professional database management experience, preferably in humanitarian context;
- Experience in database and general computer software (such as Access) a must;
- Knowledge of other analytical software (SPSS, Stata, etc) an asset;
- Good organizational, communication and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to think creatively in terms of tool and process development;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Flexibility and adaptability to ever-changing needs and responsibilities;
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements an asset;
- Prior knowledge of the region an asset;
- Ability to work independently required.
- Attention to detail.
- Time management.
go to method of application »
Location: Maiduguri, Borno
About the Job
- Senior Coordination and Liaison Officer will be responsible for to develop and maintain positive working links with Federal, State, and Local Government authorities, in order to ensure positive and productive engagement within the scope of the ECHO-funded Recovery to Resilience programme.
Your Main Duties and Responsibilities will be:
- Lead a high-level stakeholder mapping exercise to identify the key individuals and structures with whom ACTED should engage in Maiduguri, under the Area-Based Urban DRR project:
- Identify and map the relevant structures and departments within State; Municipal; and Local government levels, producing a Multi-Level Stakeholder Relationships, Roles, and Responsibilities Map, which will inform ACTED’s stakeholder engagement plan
- Identify and map key personnel within State; Municipal; and Local government, and develop a stakeholder engagement plan for how to approach these individuals and units as key stakeholders to the programme
- Develop and manage relationships with identified key stakeholders in relevant ministries/departments/structures, at State, Municipal, and Local level, to ensure their active participating in the program
- The forum should function as a support structure to promote sustainable local development beyond immediate relief, by aligning humanitarian response activities in Maiduguri with longer-term development plans.
- Engage relevant State and Municipal-level authorities to ensure their active participation in the establishment of a city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination Forum for Maiduguri:
- Work with relevant State and Municipal-level authorities in Maiduguri to develop the Terms of Reference for the city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination Forum, ensuring that the forum is a practical and useful tool for coordinating city-level disaster preparedness and response in Maiduguri
- Support the relevant State and Municipal-level authorities in Maiduguri, leading where needed, to set up the logistics for the quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, including establishing a venue; sending invitations; setting an agenda etc.
- Map relevant private sector, civil society, and International (UN; INGO) stakeholders, and engage with them to ensure their active participation in the quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination Forum in Maiduguri
- Together with the relevant State and Municipal-level authorities, facilitate the holding of quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination Forum meetings in Maiduguri
- Facilitate quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, including through maintaining and sharing the minutes of meetings with all participants, and keeping accurate records of participants and discussions.
- Through the quarterly city-level Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, establish Area-Based disaster preparedness tools, including 5Ws and quarterly action plans. Ensure that these tools are developed in close coordination with the relevant State and Municipal-level authorities in Maiduguri, and are eventually handed over to and fully managed by, these relevant State and Municipal-level authorities
- Facilitate bi-monthly neighbourhood Disaster Preparedness and Response Coordination meetings, including through maintaining and sharing the minutes of meetings with all participants, and keeping accurate records of participants and discussions.
- Establish and maintain neighbourhood-level 5Ws for service provision in the three target neighbourhoods
- Conduct thorough capacity and gap analyses of the State, Municipal, and Local level authorities with which the project will engage, to better understand where and how the project can support capacity strengthening for urban disaster preparedness and response in Maiduguri
- Support the Urban DRR Project Manager, as required, with the development of comprehensive training plans for stakeholder engaged with the project, based on capacity and gap analyses.
- Support the Urban DRR Project Manager as required, to meet internal and donor reporting requirements on the project
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- 3 - 4 years working experience in the related field
- High mapping skills, in map drafting and other map related skills
- High level of confidentiality, integrity, Professionalism, Mature, culturally sensitive, flexible, team player and interpersonal skills with the ability to build effective relationship with a range of people
- Experience of working under high pressure and ability to handle multiple priorities in an autonomous manner.
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Excellent written and spoken Kanuri, Hausa and English essential.
- Good written, oral communication and deliberating skills.
- Essential computer literacy(outlook, excel, power point and word)
- Previously experience with Senior Coordination and Liaison Officer Duties.
Desired Knowledge and Skills:
- Extensive knowledge of Nigerian displacement context
- Highly flexible, with the ability to use initiative
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and values
- Commitment to promoting gender equality.
- Contract length: 1 Year (Project will run 2.5years)
- Level: D1.5 (national contract)
- Start Date: As soon as possible Desirable.
Method of Application
- Interested candidates are also invited to send a cover letter and an updated CV as a single document (3 pages maximum) in English.
- Contact details (name, position, email address and tel. no.) of 3 professional references must be provided, whereas 1 must be for the latest employer and another one from current HR manager/officer must be for the latest employer. Please do not attach any written recommendations.
- Applications should be addressed to: The Recruitment Manager.
- Only motivated applicants who are able to perform the stipulated duties and meet the required qualifications will be considered. CV-only applications will not be considered. Please note: The position title and location must be written in the subject line of the e-mail; otherwise, it may not be considered (Graduate Database Assistant at REACH Initiative - Maiduguri)CVs will be review on rolling bases
- Due to the large numbers of expected applicants ACTED will only inform shortlisted candidate. We apologise for the inconvenience. Only short-listed applicants will be invited for written test and oral interview.
- For general information about ACTED, please consult: www.acted.org
Interested and qualified? Go to The Agency for Technical Cooperation and Development (ACTED) career website on docs.google.com to apply