Tomato Jos is an agricultural production company that believes in the power of farming and processing local food products for local consumption. Over the next five years, Tomato Jos will increase production in its world-class farming operations, forward-integrate into tomato processing via the construction of a processing facility and distribute its products nationwide. Our mission is to make tomato production a sustainable, profitable business for the Nigerian farmers with whom we work, and deliver all-natural, locally-sourced packaged goods produced in Nigeria for Nigerian consumers.
To provide the most efficient and safe machinery for maximum production through maintenance and ingenuity.
Short-term goal: Get all equipment up and running safely and effectively.
Long-term goal: Reduce M&R costs down to below 10% of total asset value per year.
Applicants should have strong problem-solving skills, an interest in farming, and the ability to manage logistical challenges. This position requires someone to use their engineering skills to advance their opportunities in agriculture. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage day-to-day operations of the maintenance department
- Oversee the mechanical team and the engineering team
- Oversee installation of infrastructural projects like irrigation, fencing, road construction, building construction, etc.
- Operate any and all agricultural equipment.
- Tractors, combines, on and off-road vehicles, support equipment, generators, pumps, etc.
- Service, repair and perform maintenance of all equipment.
- Design and fabricate agricultural equipment.
- Tractor implements, greenhouses, trailers, tanks.
- Order for parts and material.
- Manage inventory of all equipment and the fuel required for operations.
- Organization, design, and upkeep of the shop areas.
- Manage tools
- Train team on how to use them safely and effectively.
- Work with management to determine what is needed.
- Create a system for organizing and storage of tools.
- Create M&R SOP’s and trainings.
- Keep accurate records of costs and service dates.
- Maintain equipment so that goals of efficiency and safety are met.
- Must be willing to work long hours in field conditions.
- Must be trustworthy.
- Must have basic mathematical skills.
- Preferably applicants will have a degree or certificate in a related subject (agriculture, engineering, etc.)
- Must have experience operating vehicles, generators, pumps, and diesel-powered equipment.
- Must have at least 2 years mechanical experience fixing diesel and gas powered engines.
- Must have welding and fabrication experience.
- Must have basic understanding of electrical wiring.
- Must be able to read and write in English.
- Preferably applicants should also speak Hausa.
- Masters Degree or an equivalent is added advantage.
Farming operations are located in the Kaduna State area. Applicants must be willing to relocate to the area. Certain projects may involve travel, which Tomato Jos will accommodate.
Monthly salary: Depends on experience
Basic communication allowance.
go to method of application »
A Produce Management Company in Kaduna is implementing policies and programmes that will unlock the potential of the state’s agricultural sector and maximize the benefits that accrue to farmers, address coordination gaps, low yields, post-harvest losses, poor grading standards and high market entry risks. To achieve these objectives, the Company seeks a dynamic and experienced leader to be its Chief Operations Officer (COO).
We are seeking an exceptional Chief Operating Officer who is committed to helping us achieve our ambitious growth plans and make a meaningful impact to the West African economy. The ideal candidate is a problem solver who possesses a unique blend of strong analytical, communication, interpersonal and organizational and project planning skills. The candidate will have a demonstrated track record leading successful teams and a sincere interest in coaching and developing others. Being a self-starter with a sense of adventure is a requirement, and experience working in an emerging market and/or for an early-stage or growth-equity-stage company is a big plus. We are seeking a candidate who shares our passion for the mission and values of the company, and is willing to act as an ambassador for the Company in both public and in private.
The COO will report to the company’s founder, and develop a close working relationship with internal and external stakeholders. Direct reports to the COO will include Corporate Administration, Human Resources, Sales & Marketing, Security, and Supply Chain and Logistics. Specific duties include, but will not be limited to:
1. Organizational Development
- Systems Development: Refine organizational structure and reporting requirements to enhance transparency, improve decision-making/approval and communication, and create a robust and scalable company.
- Strategic Planning: Develop and implement an annual strategic-planning process, resulting in well-defined organizational goals that are tracked and reported on quarterly basis.
- Reporting and Accountability: Design, implement, and achieve successful adoption of a system-wide dashboard that captures and reflect strategic and tactical goals, results, and next steps in a timely manner, improving transparency, accountability and results. Improve and streamline review budget approval process.
- Policy Handbook: Develop and maintain a simple, clear and structured Policy Handbook and Human Resources Manual for the organization, aligned to the employment laws of Nigeria.
- Internal Communications: Formalize regular internal communications across the organization.
- Recruiting and Retention: Streamline and improve recruiting, hiring, onboarding processes to improve outcomes and reduce turnover. Standardize employee contracts and separation agreements.
- Performance Management: Implement system to accurately track employee time reporting to managers and HR. Lead the development and roll out of performance management processes and tools across the organization.
- Professional Development: Lead the development of relevant content for quarterly management training, with success measured by increased staff productivity and morale and reduced employee turnover.
Equipment management: Optimize maintenance and operation of company-owned transportation assets, reducing operating expense and down time and improving on time transportation for our employees and delivery of our products.
Construction Projects: Own management of construction projects (warehouse, staff housing, land clearing and road), with success measured against execution and delivery of project on-time and on-budget
Security: Enhance relationships with police and security contractor, with success measured by a reduction in the number of issues and improved safety for our employees and property.
3. Business Development
- Community Relations: Oversee community relations with the company and its environs in a socially responsible manner.
- Government Relations: Develop and strengthen relationships with off-takers, distributors and traders of the company’s products, with success measured by number and strength of relationships.
- Marketing & Sales: Develop and maintain a periodic reporting of market overview and competitive analysis, including business and operational implications.
- Distribution: Develop, refine, and manage the Company’s distribution channels and planning process, measured by effect on margin, timeliness, availability and overall reach.
- Bachelor’s Degree (minimum) in Business, Economics, Marketing or similar from a recognized university.
- 3 years of professional work experience in consulting and/or project management
- A start-up personality: entrepreneurial, ambitious, independent, resourceful, structured thinker with an attention to detail, goal-oriented, flexible and able to deal well with setbacks - with patience, a sense of humor and high sense of drive and urgency to achieve our vision.
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship management skills to work effectively with others. Able to work with a wide range of people and personalities across the organization.
- Ability to manage multiple projects in a fast paced environment and to remain graceful under pressure. Willingness to take ownership and accountability of project timeline and results.
- Exceptional attention to detail and high quality deliverable outputs
- Ability to effectively communicate timelines and project progress with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to strategically plan and lead diverse teams through the process from goal setting to executional success.
- Ability to lead cross-functionally; coordinating, leading and communicating information clearly.
- Exceptional written communication skills and with experience in writing compelling messages that communicate clearly, confidently, and precisely.
- Strong presentations skills, including excellent oral communication skills; passion to make yourself understood in an engaging and pleasant way at all times.
- Proficiency in Excel, Project, Power Point and Word
- A demonstrated passion for social enterprise in Africa
Operational or administrative management experience
Fluency in Hausa
Depends on qualification and level of experience.
Method of Application
HOW TO APPLY
1. Study the job description above.
2. Interested applicants should send in their detailed Curriculum vitae and cover letter to email@example.com
3. Applications must be submitted before 11.59 pm on Monday 27th May, 2019.
Note that applications submitted after the deadline or elsewhere will not be considered.
Any applicant not contacted within two weeks of submitting application has not been considered for the position.