News Director at the BBC World Service
Posted on: 10 August, 2018
Deadline: 19 August, 2018
View Jobs in Media / Radio / TV
View All Jobs at BBC
The BBC is an international multimedia broadcaster on radio, TV, online and social networks with a weekly global audience of 320 million. As part of an historic and exciting expansion of BBC Africa, the BBC World Service is launching new TV, radio and digital content for audiences in Africa. The new investment by the BBC World Service in Africa aims to increase its reach and impact among audiences by creating Africa-focused content to be delivered by our growing network of broadcast partners across the continent.
Job Reference: BBC/TP/653414/29955
Job Category: Journalism
Reports To: Deployments Editor West Africa (Lagos)
Hours: Rota pattern which may include weekend and night working
- To direct BBC Africa programmes to the highest standard.
- To work on location shoots and in the television studio/ gallery producing live and recorded programmes using automation systems (in studio) as appropriate.
- To co-ordinate the planning and production of BBC Africa output to ensure that editorial intentions are met and highest production standards maintained; to use traditional craft and technical skills as well as new and developing technologies.
- Direct live and pre-recorded programmes or inserts, on location and in studio. from studio or on location
- Input ideas, play a key role in production planning, give guidance and advice on story treatment in terms of production value, visual style and technical viability.
- Have a working knowledge of the production process for the full range of media output; be able to troubleshoot and ensure the most efficient working practices are achieved and errors avoided
- Check and amend running orders/filming schedules to achieve both the technical and editorial requirements of the programme/network.
- Carry out a range of production duties as necessary - writing, planning, editing, and filming.
- Operate vision-mixing, sound, communications equipment for studio or location based operation.
- Assume responsibility for the artistic and technical standards of the output and communications facilities, including the resolution of technical queries.
- Employ visual and creative awareness to help achieve highest production values
- Employ technical awareness and expertise to achieve editorial aims, improve working practices and achieve highest production values.
- Co-ordinate the assembly of all material required for the output, to liaise with technical and programme departments to gain the most efficient use of resources.
- Check and amend scripts & running orders to make them ready for location filming or transmission.
- Deal with the inevitable problems encountered in live broadcasting, and to resolve such problems with available resources and respecting editorial aims.
- To maintain and develop operational and technical standards in resourcing including the assistance in the planning of programmes and the resolution of technical queries.
- Contribute to the training and mentoring of team members.
- To assume responsibility for the production values and technical standards of the output and to take any relevant measures to solve problems and improve performance.
- When directing on location, to be the creative lead, working closely with the producer/reporter and directing the location camera operator and reporter.
- Oversee the safe running of production areas on or off base, in accordance with Health and Safety regulations.
- To be familiar with different technical systems, including news production systems, and to show a willingness to learn to operate new technology systems and to be able to adapt to different working methods.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Experience of location-based single-camera factual/feature (Near News) programme directing on location.
- Experience of studio directing on live and recorded programmes, both news and factual/features.
- A thorough understanding of the craft of single camera film-making including familiarity with a range of production techniques, equipment and methods.
- Ability to understand operational, journalistic and production requirements.
- Familiarity with broadcast technology, including the latest production equipment (cameras, lenses), automation & digital technologies.
- Excellent IT skills and the ability to acquire technical skills and to operate technical equipment is essential.
- A good knowledge and commitment to providing output of technical high quality.
- The ability to work fast, accurately and under pressure to tight deadlines.
- Experience of vision mixing.
- Able to demonstrate editorial awareness and an understanding of BBC Africa priorities and objectives.
- Good interpersonal skills to establish harmonious working relationships with a variety of personalities, able to communicate effectively with others and keep them informed on progress and to clarify production requirements.
- Fluent spoken and written English is essential.
- Knowledge of a news production system.
- Broad knowledge of national & international news & current affairs.
- A demonstrable appreciation of World Service output and a commitment to BBC values.
- A demonstrable commitment to the BBC Africa multimedia ambition.
- You must have a sufficient degree of hearing and colour vision required for this post.
- An understanding of Health & Safety and Security issues relating to filming and directing. The ability to learn and apply BBC policy on Health & Safety and Security.
- Imagination/Creative Thinking - Is able to problem solve and be proactive in achieving editorial objectives with limited resources.
- Planning and Organising - Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
- Resilience - Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing emotions in the face of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations. Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy. Can work unsupervised and make decisions in a busy newsroom environment.
- Influence & Persuading - Ability to present sound and well reasoned arguments to convince others. Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behaviour change.
- Managing Relationships & Team Working - Able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed to working separately or competitively.
- Editorial Judgement - Demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of BBC editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and department objectives.
- Communication - able to get one’s message understood clearly by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and the nature of the information.
- Flexibility - adapts and works effectively with a variety of situations, individuals or groups. Able to understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives on an issue, to adapt an approach as the requirements of a situation change, and to change or easily accept changes in one’s own organisation or job requirements.
Method of Application
Click here for more Information (Pdf)
Interested and qualified? Go to BBC career website on wscareerssearch.bbc.co.uk to apply
❮ Back to All Jobs
- Know more about BBCSimilar Jobs
- Reporter (Business) at BBC World Services
- Financial Writer at Nairametrics Financial Advocates Limited
- Fresh Jobs at 234 Naija
- Trainee Graphics Designer at DM Holdings Limited
- Assistant Marketing Manager at Look Media Nigeria
- Commercial Printing Executive at Media Trust Limited
- Videographer at CameraBoy Multimedia
- Internship – TV Reporter at Qed.ng