BBC Media Action is the international development charity of the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC), working in over 25 countries across the world. BBC Media Action works in partnership with local media agencies, civil society organisations, and governments to achieve long term development goals. We produce creative media content to inform and engage audiences, and strengthen the media sector by building professional skills and technical capacity.
BBC Media Action Nigeria is looking for an interested and motivated candidate to join the Team as:
The position is Abuja based with frequent travel. The contract duration is for one year with possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds. The start date is April 2014 with a probation period of 3 months.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Generate research, write, record, edit or adapt programme materials, find contributors as well as other sources of material as appropriate and to required specification whilst maintaining high professional standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing
- Liaise with Producers of relevant content to identify thematic areas of their programmes to be adapted for Media Dark Kits
- Co-ordinate the activities of, presenters, musicians, actors and other resource persons during the programme production process
- Generate ideas on how to design, package and distribute user-friendly Media Dark Kit materials
- Generate programme ideas and actively contribute to the planning and editorial review process;
- Suggest new angles on existing topics with a view to effecting behavioural change while also considering the diverse nature of our audiences
- Undertake any additional recording of audio/video files for Media Dark Kit as required
- Review recordings to ensure conformity with broadcast standards and BBC editorial guidelines
- In consultation with Head of Production, determine production size, content, schedules and budget as well as arrange financing for productions
- Ensure that all MDK material is completed and ready for use in accordance with the agreed schedule.
- Prepare operational reports;
- Monitor and ensure that expenses are in compliance with production budget;
- Perform any other duties that may be assignea.
REQUIRED SKIllS, KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
- A good first degree in Graphic Arts, Creative Arts, English, the Social Sciences or any other relevant field; Fluency in English and Hausa Languages;
- Possess good communication and interpersonal skills and be well versed in the use of relevant designing software like Corel Draw;
- Evidence of imagination and enthusiasm for generating new and original ideas particularly those with the widest possible audience appeal;
- Possess ability to analyze and critically evaluate editorial content, identifying strengths and weaknesses in programme content and drive for perfection;
- Possess knowledge of media production, communication and basic information dissemination techniques,
- Evidence of high level editorial skills and understanding of BBC editorial values;
- Analytical Thinking; Strategic Thinking; Imaginative/Creative Thinking; Decision Making; Planning and Organization; Managing relationships and team working; Resilience; Influencing and Persuading; Communication; and Self Development
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please send in their application/cover letter with an introduction and capability statement stating capability for the job, a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) with names and addresses of at least 2 professional referees (including their telepone, fax and email addresses) not later than 20th February, 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org with the position applied for clearly stated on the application cover letter. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.