USAID/Nigeria in Abuja is seeking to employ a suitable and qualified candidate for the position of: Senior Agriculture Economist in the Economic Growth and Environment Office.
Basic Function of Position:
Under the direct supervision of the US Direct Hire (USDH) Agriculture Team Leader, incumbent undertakes a variety of project planning, design, implementation, monitoring, and evaluation functions. This includes gathering, analyzing and reporting of performance information related to the Mission's agriculture and food security initiative, Feed the Future. These functions are multi-dimensional, involve multiple implementing partners in the government, Non-Governmental Organization (NGO), and private sectors and are currently estimated to be $20 million per year. The incumbent serves as the principle Foreign Service National (FSN) Agriculture Advisor to the USDH Agriculture Team Leader, as well as the Office Director, Mission Director, Embassy staff and Ambassador as needed.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages and serves as team leader for Resiliency of Vulnerable Households and the Agriculture Competitiveness and Enabling Environment components of Development Objective 2 (DO2).
- Conducts periodic assessments of the adequacy of project designs and recommend to senior USAID management revision in them to improve effectiveness and development impact.
- Provides independent research and analysis and makes policy/ program recommendations not only for the agriculture portfolio but also its links to other sector programs in democracy and governance Development Objective 1 (DO1), water and energy in the economic growth and environment (DO2), Health and nutrition in Development Objective 3 (DO3) and education Development Objective 4 (DO4).
- Develops and maintains close relations with host government officials at the Director and Permanent Secretary, and Ministerial levels and with most influential persons in the private sector in order to provide USAID with information on their objectives, capabilities, and priorities as they affect proposed USAID strategies and activities.
- Refines and implements a performance management plan that includes, among other things, gathering information for indicators that measure results and progress towards achieving the Mission's agriculture strategic objectives.
Note: All applicants MUST address each selection criterion detailed below with specific and comprehensive information supporting each criterion or the application will not be considered.
- Education: A Master Degree in Agriculture, Agriculture Economics, or a closely related field is required.
- Prior Work Experience: Five to eight years of progressively responsible experience in agriculture development related to finance, agribusiness, production and policy is required.
- Language Proficiency: Fluent (Level IV) English oral and writing ability is required.
- Knowledge: Knowledge and understanding of USG regulations and procedures which bear on project management. Thorough knowledge of the agriculture sector in Nigeria including broad knowledge of Government Of Nigeria (GON) ministries related to agriculture, donor organizations, private sector, farmers' organizations and others dealing with agriculture.
- Skills and Abilities: Able to develop and maintain expansive and high level contacts in Nigeria government, agriculture research and civil society organizations dealing with agriculture. Must be able to analyze and evaluate government policies affecting the development of agriculture.
It is essential that the candidate address the required qualifications above in the application.
Additional Selection Criteria:
- Management will consider nepotism/conflict of interest, budget, and residency status in determining successful candidacy.
- Current employees serving a probationary period are not eligible to apply.
- Current employees who are qualified will be given preference.
- Only successful applicants who meet the minimum requirements will be notified.
- The Human Resources Office will NOT accept applications or resume submitted in U.S. Government official envelopes.
- The minimum requirements must be adequately addressed in the cover letter of your application package. Failure to do so will disqualify your application.
Salary: FSN: N6,608,675.00 p.a (Starting basic salary on FSN- 12 Position Grade).
In addition to the basic salary, all allowances will be paid in accordance with the Mission
Local Compensation Plan.
Method of Application
Interested applicants for this position MUST submit the following, or the application will not be considered:
- A type-written application letter specifically applying for this position, and addressing the minimum requirements as advertised. Please reference the job title and announcement number on the application letter.
- A current resume or curriculum vitae, listing all job responsibilities; plus
- Any other documentation (e.g., essays, certificates, awards, copies of degrees earned) that addresses the qualification requirements of the position as listed above.
Please indicate position title and vacancy announcement number on the top right corner of the envelope and also on the subject line of the application letter. Submit Application To:
ATTN: Human Resource Office
c/o U.S. Embassy
1075 Diplomatic Drive
Point Of Contact:
Tel: 09-461-9300 ext. 9319
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing MySalaryscale.com
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join MySalaryScale