Objectives NMI is looking for a Special Assistant to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Nelson Mandela Institution (NMI) to provide general support to the CEO but also work on key aspects of activities including budget preparation and monitoring, Board meetings, customer relations, review of different operational, policy and strategic issues.
The incumbent's work will include but not limited to the following:
Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepares the annual budget for NMI using the work plan and program prepared by the team.
• Keeps the budget files/records and ensure that there are kept up-to-date,
• Prepares expenditure monitoring reports and ensures that they are carried out in complience with the Board guidelines & directives as well as NMI's rules and procedures or, as the case might be, those of any institution providing funding to NMI.
• Conducts regular review of the budget implementation status, anticipate or identify issues and problems, and propose options for solving them.
• Ensures coordination with those responsible for expenditures and liaise as needed with them and AUST.
• Prepare Bank reconciliation statements for NMI's accounts.
• Perform other tasks as assigned by the supervisor, including travel as required. Do a preliminary review of the legal documents resulting from NMI's work for the CEO, most specifically the BOT program and make recommendations as needed.
• Reviews policy and operational papers prior to Board consideration, including consultation with originators or senior management as necessary to revise content or adjust to meet management's and the Board's expectations for discussion of
relevant issues and clear recommendations, as well as for compliance with statutory, operational, disclosure, or other policy requirements and management/Board proced ures.
• Helps prepare, organize and manage Board meetings to ensure high and consist nt standards of meeting conduct and outcomes.
• Changes can be made to this job description and the circumstances warrant.
• Masters degree or equivalent degree in a relevant development discipline (e.g., economics, public administration, political science, public policy, etc.). A law degree in addition to above would be a major plus.
• A minimum of 4-5 years of relevant experience in finance, banking, law, theprivate, public or parastatal sector.
• Ability to provide support to senior management effectively and timely by prioritizing interventions, identifying policy issues and trade-offs, and formulating and applying a comprehensive problem-solving approach at various technical levels.
• Sound understanding of business issues and experience with corporate environment; capacity to work simultaneously and effectively on a variety of tasks.
• Excellent writing, oral and presentation skills. Superior organizational and logistical skills. .
• Strong conceptual skills and ability to look ahead and think scenarios through.
• Ability to influence across organizational boundaries . and communicate persuasively.
• Ability to represent NMI and present its views articulately both inside and outside.
• Skills in database management, Microsoft Office Suite.
• Strong diplomatic and people skills.
• Commitment to teamwork and knowledge-sharing within a multicultural environment.
• High level of integrity and track record in handling confidential matters.
• A background in Corporate Governance is desirable.
Duty Station: Abuja, Nigeria
Duration of Contract: Three years renewable. The first will be a probation year at the successful completion of which the contract would be renewed and extended for at least two more years.
All applications must be sent within two (2) weeks from the date of this publication to the Human Resources Office of the Nelson Mandela Institution (NMI) at the African University of Science and Technology (AUST) campus in Galadimawa - Abuja or by e-
mail to firstname.lastname@example.org Please be informed that application(s ) received after the expiration of this notice will not be processed.
NOTE: A potential candidate has been identified and intends to apply for this position. However, this remains a competitive process and interested candidates are encouraged to apply.