BBC Media Action (BBC MA) is the charitable arm of the World Service established by the BBC. BBC Media Action uses media and communications to reduce poverty and promote human rights in developing countries. To achieve this, BBC Media Action partners with civil society, local media and governments to:
- Produce creative programmes based on robust research in multi-media formats which inform and engage audiences around key development issues.
- Strengthen the media sector through building professional capacity and infrastructure.
BBC Media Action has been operating in Nigeria since 1999, addressing a range of governance and health Issues iii the country. With a learn of more than 80 staff lit Abuja, the Nigeria office has experience working across a range at creative and Innovative TV film arid radio formats, as well as training and capacity building, audience research and interpersonal communication interventions that deeper audience engagement with media outputs.
Location: Abuja based. The contract duration is two years. The start dates will be December 2013 for the January 2014 for the Producer/Trainer with a probation period of 3 months for each post.
This role requires a dynamic trainer or mentor with a background in radio production and experience developing the capacity of media professionals. The position will be based in Abuja, though may spend up to one month at a time away from base delivering training and mentoring activities for radio stations and other partners across Nigeria, with a particular focus on Rabbi state.
The position will play a principal role in the capacity building elements of a new project that focuses on improving media treatment of childhood illnesses The successful candidate will train and support media professionals in a wide range of programme production skills and take responsibility for designing training materials and methods of evaluation. The candidate will offer on-going mentoring support to trainees when in Abuja. S/he will ensure coordination of activities with other members of the BBC Media Action training team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Under the guidance and direction of the Head of Training, conduct and coordinate training activities in Kebbi state for a new project on childhood illness.
- Work with the training team to help design creative, innovative approaches to training including setting objectives for trainings, determining the appropriate content/theme of different sessions, and establishing criteria for evaluating training impact.
- Conduct training needs assessment of partner stations and help prioritize capacity building support.
- Design and deliver in-house that meet the project’s development objectives and meet the highest BBC standards, including developing work, plans, facilitating training logistics, creating training materials, and identifying and documenting lessons from project activities.
- Design and deliver in-house training and refresher courses for colleagues at EEC Media Action.
- Liaise and network with a rungs of partners, including partner station staff at senior and junior levels.
- Coordinate closely with other departments to guarantee that training plans are drawing on and informing, other activities as appropriate and in compliance with all BBC Media Action policies and procedures.
- Travel regularly within Nigeria when necessary and - if required - at short notice.
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
Skills, Knowledge & Experience
Skills, Knowledge and Experience required
- Extensive production background at a senior level, preferably in the area of interactive radio/television, behaviour change communication spot production and Health related journalism.
- Understanding of Nigerian media industry and working practices as applied by private and public stations.
- Thorough understanding of best practice in media training.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and influencing skills, including the ability to enthuse trainees, give constructive feedback and facilitate learning in a focused arid friendly atmosphere.
- Proven ability to analyse and critically evaluate editorial content, identifying strengths and weaknesses in programme content and driving constant improvement in output.
- Evidence of high level editorial skills and thorough understanding of BBC editorial values.
- Evidence of imagination and an enthusiasm for generating new ideas, particularly those with the widest possible audience appeal.
- A proven track record in the careful management of budgets.
- Evidence of full conversance with the latest production-related technology.
- Strong understanding of and commitment to issues-of Reproductive Health, Malaria and Maternal and Child Health programming.
- Strong understanding of the role of communications in development.
- Experience in operating effectively in difficult, political, sensitive and often fluid environment.
- Thorough grasp of core EEC Media Action values of trust, audience, quality, creativity, respect and working together.
- A good university degree in any related field but preferably in Mass Communication or Social Sciences.
- A minimum of 2 years experience in training media practitioners on program production
- A minimum of 2 years experience in electronic media program production especially in development issues.
- Experience of working in a regular electronic media organization.
The following competencies (behaviours and characteristics) have been identified as key to success in the job. Successful candidates are expected to demonstrate these competencies.
Editorial Judgement - demonstrates balanced and objective judgement based on a thorough understanding of 613C editorial guidelines, target audience, programme and depart merit objectives. Makes the right editorial decisions, taking account of conflicting views where necessary.
Decision Making - Is ready and able to take the initiative, originate action and be responsible for the consequences of the decision made.
Planning and Organisation - Is able to think ahead in order to establish an efficient and appropriate course of action for self and Others. Prioritises and plans activities taking into account all the relevant issues and factors such as deadlines, staffing and resources requirements.
Managing relationships and team working - able to build and maintain effective working relationships with a range of people. Works co-operatively with others to be part of a team, as opposed working separately or competitively.
Developing Others - able to recognise potential (managerial, professional, artistic or otherwise) and is willing to foster the development of that potential. Creates a climate in which potential can be realised.
Resilience - Can maintain personal effectiveness by managing own emotions in the lace of pressure, set backs or when dealing with provocative situations, Can demonstrate an approach to work that is characterised by commitment, motivation and energy:
Influencing and Persuading - Ability to present Sound arid well-reasoned arguments to convince others, Can draw from a range of strategies to persuade people in a way that results in agreement or behavior change.
Salary range from N250,000.00 gross per month
go to method of application »
Location: Abuja based. The contract duration is two years. The start dates will be a probation period of 3 months for each post.
Will be responsible for driving project vehicle/personnel and ensuring high safety and security standards while also rendering logistic support.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Handle and drive allocated vehicle in a professional manner: being courteous and professional to all passengers.
- Ensure that vehicle allocated is clean, in good working condition, and that registration documents are valid and up-to-date.
- Ensure and adhere to security measures arid maximum safety standards for all journeys, especially during early morning or late night trips.
- Adhere to the roster and schedule for the drivers to ensure effective distribution and execution of tasks.
- Working with the Lead Transport Officer, collate, screen and process staff requests for vehicles and respond appropriately as may be required.
- Assist staff with gear or luggage as required, particularly at airport pick-ups or drop-offs.
- Undertake the dispatch of letters, parcels and any other consignment, and assist in running errands (or the office,
- Undertake logistics assignments arid tasks as may be assigned by the Senior Logistics Officer arid I-lead of Operations
- Perform any other duties that may be assigned
- Minimum of 2 years working experience in an NGO or in a related environment in a transport capacity.
- Good knowledge of Nigerian road network, traffic rules and regulations.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Energetic and personable.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Possess friendly and service-oriented personality.
- Ability to Work with minimal supervision, take initiative and make sound judgement.
- Ability to analyse, interpret critical situations arid make sound decisions.
- Secondary school certificate, though a higher certificate will be an advantage.
- Possession of a valid National Driver’s License
Salary range from N120,000.00 gross per month
Method of Application
Interested candidates should please sent in their application/cover letter with an introduction and capability statement staling capability for the job, a detailed curriculum vitae (word document please) wily names and addresses of at least 2 professional referees (including their telephone, fax and email addresses) not later that 25th November 2013 to: email@example.com with the position applied for clearly stated on the application cover letter