Founded in 2002 by President William J. Clinton, the Clinton Health Access Initiative (CHAI) is a global health organization committed to strengthening integrated health systems around the world and expanding access to care and treatment for HIV/AIDS, malaria and other illnesses. Based on the premise that business oriented strategy can facilitate solutions to global health challenges, CHAI acts as a catalyst to mobilize new resources and optimize the impact of these resources to save lives, via improved organization of commodity markets and more effective local management. By working in association with governments and other NGO partners, CHAI is focused on large scale impact and, to date, CHAI has secured lower pricing agreements for treatment options in more than 70 countries. In addition, CHAI's teams are working side-by-side with over 30 governments to tackle many of the largest barriers to effective treatment and care.
CHAI has been supporting the Government of Nigeria to scale-up access to Essential Childhood Medicines in Nigeria since 2011. Current work focuses on increasing access to zinc and ORS for the treatment of childhood diarrhea, with some activities addressing access to antibiotics for childhood pneumonia. CHAI’s strategic approach for Essential Medicines Scale-Up in Nigeria employs building a multi-stakeholder coalition for scale-up, consisting of committed public, private, and non-governmental organizations. As a key partner in this coalition, CHAI will implement a zinc/ORS scale-up program in several states in Nigeria, and will continue to play a leading role in further developing this coalition. CHAI is seeking a Deputy Program Director to lead the next phase of large-scale implementation of its Essential Medicines program in Nigeria.
The Deputy Program Director will lead a team of professionals based across the country, and will have significant opportunity to shape CHAI’s approach in developing this program. He/she will be expected to use strong internal and external relationship management, exceptional team development and management, and rigorous analysis to develop and execute high-impact programs.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with outstanding leadership and management skills. The candidate must be able to independently drive the development and implementation of this program, have deep personal commitment to producing results, and have the ability to lead in a challenging professional environment. CHAI places great value on relevant personal qualities: resourcefulness, entrepreneurialism, tenacity, independence, humility, passion for the mission, and work ethic.
The Deputy Program Director will be based in Abuja, with travel to program focus states.
- Lead and oversee all aspects of CHAI’s Nigerian Essential Medicines program, including strategy development and implementation, planning, budgeting, forecasting, and monitoring and reporting;
- Develop and implement performance management systems and structures to ensure optimal, high-impact program outcomes;
- Oversee the development and implementation of overall program strategy—including goal-setting, defining targets, and measuring program performance—while establishing aggressive operational milestones and achieving program objectives;
- Collaborate closely with CHAI’s Global Essential Medicines Team to share lessons and leverage technical expertise where valuable to strengthen implementation and performance
- Lead the identification of—and fundraising for—strategic opportunities for program expansion related to diarrhea and pneumonia; in partnership with global team, manage submission of high-quality, timely donor reports
- Act as CHAI Nigeria’s lead representative to donor and other external organizations on all Essential Medicines-related activities and communications—including program performance, strategic direction, operational changes, and risk management;
- Oversee administrative activities related to the Essential Medicines program, including closely liaising with the CHAI Nigeria Director of Operations (DO) to manage overall program budget, logistics, and Human Resources;
- Catalyze the implementation of Nigeria’s Essential Childhood Medicines Scale-Up Strategy by serving as a senior counsel to FMoH and NPHCDA leaders and guiding a broad stakeholder coalition toward an aligned approach;
- Any other task as requested by the Country Director.
- A Master’s degree in business administration, public health, international policy, or a related subject and experience in Nigeria’s pharmaceutical, public health, or development sectors;
- Exceptional strategic development skills, able to identify and pursue high-impact strategies in complex, uncertain, and evolving environments;
- Proven program management skills, based on several years of experience in strategic, operational, and/or financial management of complex, multi-stakeholder programs/projects and a proven ability to effectively build and manage large teams of professionals;
- Entrepreneurial mindset, able to understand and develop a commercial market for pharmaceuticals and medical devices; results-driven orientation;
- Exceptional diplomatic and interpersonal skills, and an ability to communicate effectively and build durable relationships while navigating favorably influencing decision-making in a professional and collaborative manner;
- Ability to work with humility and not seek personal credit for the work or contributions, even where credit is due; commitment to ensuring our government partner is the owner of our work together;
- Exceptional analytical and critical thinking skills with demonstrated expertise in strategy development and execution;
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to create compelling, logical presentations, using PowerPoint and other communications media;
- Ability to be effective in high-pressure situations, handle multiple tasks simultaneously, and set priorities.
- Experience working in the private sector, preferably in pharmaceuticals or fast-moving consumer goods
- Advanced degrees in management, public health, or other relevant fields
Method of Application
Interested and qualified? Go to career website on careers-chai.icims.com to apply
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.