If you have not been getting our emails, check your Spam folder folder on Yahoo or Promotions tab on Gmail; mark us as Not Spam and add us to your contact list. Learn how to
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an independent international medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid in more than 60 countries to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural or man-made disasters or exclusion from healthcare.
MSF-Spain is currently recruiting to fill the following position for its operations in Yobe State.
Application Deadline: November 10, 2016 at 5:00pm
Salary: As per the MSF salary scale (national contract)
Movements (project visits): According to MH programme planning, 100% travel inside Nigeria according to the IDP movement.
Note: This is a local position in Damaturu and there will be no relocation benefit.
Scope of Responsibilities:
Purpose of the Position
- Perform the mental health and psychosocial (MHPS) consultations (individual, and if necessary group)
- Collaborate with the MHO towards quality implementation of MHPS activities in the project
Operational / Technical Responsibilities
Patient Care & Clinical supervision
- Provide individual and group mental health support for population at risk (adults and children, IDP or Hosted community): support coping process of the population and mobilize their inner resources for processing traumatic experiences and finding new life perspective
- If possible visit beneficiaries at home/tent/shelter in order to assess needs and follow up evolution when required.
- Refer patients to other health professionals whenever necessary
- To make suggestions for improvement at mental health care units on regular basis.
- To be responsible for well-being and security of patients through all the activities.
- Ensure awareness to improve detection of mental health symptoms and signs, discussion of difficult cases, referrals etc
- To complete professional supervision record according to MSF standards.
- Maintain at all times a respectful attitude towards population, patients.
- To ensure the good flow of patients from Counsellors to psychiatrists (if necessary)
- Assist in the trainings (initial and follow-up) of CMWs, peer counsellors and other staff members and resourceful people from the community.
- Provide psycho-education or other psychosocial activities to the community, when required and if accessibility allows
- To implement training modules in accordance with MSF training manual.
- To work closely in collaboration with hierarchical superior to assess training needs.
- To assist in the preparation of handouts and materials and to implement objective methods of evaluation for these training modules.
- To undertake trainings sessions according to the needs and to the accessibility.
- Participate in creation of any material needed for the MH activities.
- Look after all equipment provided.
- Ensure cleanliness of psychologists’ areas ( consultation office,…..)
- Ensure that confidentiality is maintained regarding all patient cases and records.
- Keep record and statistics of daily activities
- Fill in the forms of the patients
- Enter info of the files of the patients into the data base (computer of MHO)
- Inform line manager of any problems that might be linked to work of psychologists as well as problematic equipment or material (ex. broken, missing).
- Be aware of any document regarding detailed responsibilities of psychologists (ex. protocols, reports to be done).
- Actively participate in team meetings (planning and case management meetings) and possible trainings.
- Provide training to new members of the team and help them with the transition into the new role
- Familiarize his/herself with the internal regulations and guidelines of the office and follow these guidelines during work time.
- Accomplish any task that s/he is asked by his/her supervisor.
- To develop good working relationships with cultural mediators, peer counsellors, CMHWs and public/private sector mental health care unit staff.
Responsibilities towards MSF
Commitment to MSF
- Availability for emergencies
- General knowledge of MSF
- To have general understandings of the association, it’s functioning, structure and values (charter).
- To be aware of MSF charter, objectives and activities in general and in the working context.
- To participate actively in meetings and trainings.
- To be fully aware of sensitivity of the context in the mission.
Cooperation With Other Departments
- To be aware of security rules and situation in the field at all time.
- To be aware of activities of other departments and respect specific rules and procedures.
- To be aware of social and political situation and keeps information up-to-date.
- To pass on all relevant information related to MSF scope of action and context.
- To advise on various topics (culture, economy, politics, etc.).
- To translate documents and/or interprets conversation when necessary.
- University degree or equivalent in psychology – clinical or counselling psychology
- Desirable: Experience in clinical psychology and working with patient
- R – English ; R- Houssa; R – Kanouri
- F – Fluent | B – Basic | R – Required | A – An asset
- Planning and organizational skills,
- People-centred Management skills,
- Communication skills,
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to work as an active member of a multi-cultural team
- Interpersonal skills,
- Having respectful attitude with multi-cultural flexibility or experience.
- Calm, patience, Confidentiality, strong sense of integrity, good stress management skills.
Method of Application
All potential job applicants should send by November 10, 2016 at 5:00pm their CV and motivation letter only:
- By email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Or in person at MSF office, Yakubu Bello House Damaturu Low Cost, Near Yobe Scholar Academy – New Jerusalem.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date: 10th November, 2016.