The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Number: 499825
Location: Maiduguri, Nigeria
Work Type: Temporary Appointment
- L3 Emergency for Nigeria CO was activated on 22nd August 2016 following the rapidly escalating humanitarian needs brought about by the gradual return of the displaced population in the North East. There is increased access in newly liberated areas in Borno state where the needs are the most extreme. An immediate Scale-Up Plan has been developed and it aims at reaching the populations in need.
- There is an urgent need to both significantly scale up humanitarian assistance by UNICEF and partners, and improve its quality, strengthening supervision and quality assurance. In addition, it is essential to rapidly prepare for the gradual return of the displaced with the reestablishment of basic services, immediately looking at early recovery needs.
- In view of this, UNICEF is increase the number of programme staff based in Borno Field Office for improved operational support and monitoring of programmes, quality assurance and technical support to national counterparts. This includes a position for a HACT Officer to be station in Borno. The Officer will oversee the HACT activities in Borno and Bauchi Office zones.
- The officer will provide support in HACT activities including following up administrative tasks related to the various HACT activities (Spot checks, Micro-assessments, audits, capacity building & HACT Training), work on collating reports, filing and analyzing data collected from the HACT activities for various reports.
- The Officer will be under the supervision of the Programme HACT Specialist, Abuja.
- The Officer will be in charge of HACT activities and provide relevant administrative support in ensuring full compliance with the 2016 HACT Assurance Plan for UNICEF Nigeria;
- Collate all the finalized HACT activities reports (Micro-assessments, audits, spot checks & programme monitoring visits) from all the 2 offices. The reports should be properly labelled as per index provided
- Provide support on timely dispatch of HACT assurance activity reports (Micro-assessments, spot checks, Audits) to respective Field Offices and sections (for onward delivery to IPs) & follow up.
- Follow up with the Chiefs/programme sections to collate documents required by the auditors for micro-assessment, spot check and audit assignments (as per required list of documents).
- Upload all HACT related reports into the SharePoint according to each office for ease of sharing and accessibility.
- Update the spot check trackers on a weekly basis with high priority issues observed during the visit that require follow up action/closure or management attention
- Attend programme meetings to discuss/follow up on HACT issues that require action form the CFO/Programme e.g high priority issues from SC trackers & recommendations from MA and Audits
- Update the HACT plan performance indicators on assurance activities & follow up on audit preparation activities
- Analyse assurance reports for high risk/high priority observations for action by programme teams
- Collate data for the preparation of various reports for programme meetings, management and CMT, RO & HQ reports) that may be required regularly.
- Follow up on timely dispatch of final assurance reports to relevant IPs by each section - obtain copies of the dispatch letters.
- Organizing HACT training Capacity Building for IPs as per the HACT plan- follow up on IP letters/hotel/training materials
- Monitor HACT activities & work plans for HACT consultants working in Borno and Bauchi
- Review travel undertaken by HACT consultants against planned travel for any adjustments and follow up on the certification process with Admin unit. Review and endorse manual TA certifications made by the consultants.
- Follow up on Payments process for consultants (invoice, TAs, travel claim, TA certification).
- Draft minutes for HACT meetings and circulate the action points to the team for implementation
- Conduct Simplified Assessments for IPs receiving less than $100,000 per year and ensure final report is dispatched to the IP/s.
- Ensure a well-organized and easily accessible filing system of all HACT related documents
Deliverables/ end products/timeframe: (eg. final report, article, document etc.):
- Updated status of open items on spot check and programme monitoring trackers for sharing in weekly programme meetings
- Analyse of Micro-assessments, spot checks and audit reports conducted to identify high priority areas that requires programme/management action and share with the HACT Manager/Officers of respective offices for follow up with section Chiefs/CFOs.
- All HACT documentation sequentially uploaded to SharePoint on a weekly basis and easily accessible.
- Follow up with the programme team to ensure that the spot check report is dispatched to the IPs within 2 weeks after the spot check visit (get a copy of the dispatch letter).
- Follow up with the programme teams for response from the IP detailing the implementation of the Micro-assessment, Audit and spot check recommendations.
- Prepare various assurance activity reports and analysis as requested by the HACT manager
Qualifications or specialized knowledge/experience required:
- University Degree in Accountancy, Finance and Business Administration, or Professional Accounting qualification in CPA/ACCA.
- 5 years' experience in internal/external audit or financial management in a reputable organisation.
- Experience in international organisations is an asset.
- Good communication and analytical skills.
- Strong Drive for Results.
- Relevant experience in emergency operation a strong asset.
- Experience and familiarity with UNICEF financial policies and procedures.
- Proven knowledge of Fast-Track / financial processes a strong asset.
- Good communication and analytical skills.
- Strong Drive for Results
- Communication and very good writing skills; Analytical; Drive for result; planning and organising; Working with people; Well familiar with UN/UNICEF HACT P, procedures and recruitment policies; Fluency in English
Summary of key Functions/Accountabilities
- Serves as contact person to facilitate Lagos Field Office supply planning process.
- Support to Lagos Field Office programme and operations colleagues in the issuance of Purchase requisition and Sales orders
- Support NCO supply section in market survey by recommending potential vendors
- Prepares bidding documents, drafts CRC submissions, raise PO, sets realistic DATs to ensure prompt delivery and keeping adequate records of all transactions in compliant to financial rules
- Monitoring of LTAs (e.g prints, custom clearing agents, etc), circulating bid documents and POs issued to Lagos vendors by NCO
Support to country office supply planning process and its execution:
- Researches into the market and intranet to ensure adequate price information, realistic DATs are set in the planning stages.
- Liaison with all sections in the FO to ensure the supply plan is in place and collated before the end of first quarter.
- Ensure all collated supply plan are well documented, stored and monitored for proper execution.
Monitoring of LTAs (e.g prints, custom clearing agents, etc), circulating bid documents and POs issued to Lagos vendors by NCO:
- Monitors all LTA with Lagos vendors to ensure compliance to the terms and conditions of the LTAs
- Supports NCO to circulate bids and POs to Lagos vendors and follow up on pending deliveries to ensure to avoid late deliveries
- Prepares performance evaluation of LTA holders
Support to programme and operations colleagues in the Field Office in the issuance of purchase requisitions and sales orders:
- Interact with Programme / operation Sections in the preparation and issuance of appropriate documents i.e. Supply Requisitions and Sales orders - accuracy in the specifications, budget estimates, realistic DATs and coding in line with Supply Manual
- Undertakes reconciliation and adjustments of expenditures on requisitions, recording proof of delivery for GIT (goods in transit) updates, monitoring of Contracts for closure, etc
Support NCO supply section in market survey by recommending potential vendors:
- Researches into the open market and intranet to pre-qualify suitable vendors as need arises and ensuring adequate records of these vendors for NCO consideration.
- Maintaining a chronological filing system for vendors
- Analyzing vendor performance at the end of every year and recommend non performing vendors to the Supply and Logistic Manager for appropriate action.
Prepares bidding documents, draft CRC submission, raise POs, sets realistic DATs to ensure prompt delivery and keeping adequate records of all transactions:
- Prepares bidding documents (e.g RFQ/RFP, ITB) circulation of same to UNICEF registered vendors, conducts bid opening in liaison with supervisor and other sections, bid tabulation, draft CRC submission and raise PO.
- Monitoring POs to ensure UNICEF obtains delivery promptly and according to the set DATs
- Conducts pre-delivery inspection of high value POs as per supply manual and NCO supply SoP. Documenting the results and filing them appropriately
- Prepares monitoring and reporting information for supervisor on status of PO and requisition on weekly basis for effective monitoring of performance indicators.
Undertake any other supply/programme related assignments depending on the office priorities and as assigned by supervisor.:
- The efficiency and effectiveness of the support provided by the Supply Assistant to the section would facilitates the timely delivery of supply component to the overall UNICEF Nigeria programme in Nigeria, which in turn enhances the offices and UNICEF's capacity in helping the most vulnerable women and children.
Competencies and level of Proficiency Required
(based on UNICEF Professional Competency Profiles)
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (II)
- Drive for result
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (II)
- Completion of Secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible work experience in functional and technical area of supply, procurement and contracting is required.
- Fluency in English.
- Knowledge of one UN language the local language of the duty station, an asset.
Method of Application
Use the link(s) below to apply on company website.
Have you ever needed salary data to make informed career decisions? Introducing Salaryscale.ng
, a platform that crowdsources salary data in Nigeria and we will love your input. Join SalaryScale.